Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH to TG international transfer at KLIA

Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I hope the KLIA regulars can answer these questions for me...

What is the process for an international transfer flying in on an international MAS flight and then departing on an international Thai airways flight with no checked in baggage?

Will I have to clear immigration in KLIA? I assume not as I would arrive and depart on international flights with no checked baggage, albeit with different carriers?

Do Thai operate out of KLIA 1?

Assuming no need for passport control at KLIA is 2-3 hours enough time to transfer between flights allowing for a little lounge time?

What are your recommendations for lounges at KLIA? I am *G and also full priority plus member?

Many thanks in advance,
Main Wheel.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Main Wheel
What is the process for an international transfer flying in on an international MAS flight and then departing on an international Thai airways flight with no checked in baggage?

Will I have to clear immigration in KLIA? I assume not as I would arrive and depart on international flights with no checked baggage, albeit with different carriers?
KUL T1 and Satellite have a mixed arrivals-departures setup like SIN. Just go to the transfer desk to pick up your TG boarding pass and head straight to the lounge.

Do Thai operate out of KLIA 1?
Yes, T1. They usually depart at the Satellite Terminal (C gates). If arriving on MH you may arrive at the Main Terminal (G/H gates), which is a short aerotrain ride away.

Assuming no need for passport control at KLIA is 2-3 hours enough time to transfer between flights allowing for a little lounge time?
If the inbound flight is on time, that's perfectly fine.

What are your recommendations for lounges at KLIA? I am *G and also full priority plus member?
There are only two *G lounges in KUL: TG and SQ. Neither are fancy by any means, but the TG one is bigger and usually quieter. Both have a passable selection of hot food, snacks and drinks.

As a PP member you can also access the Plaza Premium lounge which isn't much better than the two *G ones.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

SilverChris you are a gem...

Can you tell me exactly where the transfer desk is at where I can check in for my TG flight?

Cheers MW.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL

Can you tell me exactly where the transfer desk is at where I can check in for my TG flight?

Cheers MW.
There's a centralized transfer desk in the Satellite which serves just about every airline there
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:46 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Cheers MW.
As SilverChris has already said, the transfer desks are all arranged together.

They are located close to the Shuttle-Train.

M
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Hi Again,

It looks like my flights will all terminate and commence at the satellite so all good. Many thanks for the prompt advice.

I am flying business class with MH out of Suvarnibuhmi airport in BKK. What are the thoughts for the best Lounge I can access there?

Cheers again,
Main Wheel.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:55 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Hi Again,

It looks like my flights will all terminate and commence at the satellite so all good. Many thanks for the prompt advice.

I am flying business class with MH out of Suvarnibuhmi airport in BKK. What are the thoughts for the best Lounge I can access there?

Cheers again,
Main Wheel.
The CX Lounge will be the best place to go.

M
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Hi Again,

Cheers again,
Main Wheel.
Hold on ! If you're departing out of BKK on MH, then you will arrive in KUL at the Main Building and NOT the Satellite terminal. So from the main building, you'd need to find a transfer desk. With TG - it may be you'll need to go to the Satellite terminal by skytrain.

Still if you get lost.. ASK !!
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Guy Betsy,

My only real concern is regardless of which terminal area I land at will be whether or not I will have to do passport and immigration. This will be determined by whether or not I can check in for my Thai Airways departure flight at the transfer counter in the satellite terminal.

Regards,
MW
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:13 am

Thanks Guy Betsy,

My only real concern is regardless of which terminal area I land at will be whether or not I will have to do passport and immigration. This will be determined by whether or not I can check in for my Thai Airways departure flight at the transfer counter in the satellite terminal.

Regards,
MW
You will not need to do Immigration. As mentioned, the transfer counter is in the center of the 4 spoke wheel in the satellite terminal. Can't miss it.

If you arrive in the main gates (G and H) - just head to the aerotrain to the C gates.

Couldn't be easier.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks TGflyergirl for reaffirming some already solid FlyerTalk Forum advice...
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
The OP can just go straight to the TG lounge and ask the lounge agents to check him in and issue the BP. Most lounges are connected to the DCS, so that should not be a problem. In the worst case scenario, if they don't have a DCS link, they will either send a staff to the transit desk, or direct the OP as to where exactly it is.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

Many thanks to everyone for their valued and knowledgable replies.

Over on the Thai board I had asked if anyone there had experience doing the same transfer I will have and I based that question on the knowledge I gained here. I asked purely for my own peace of mind however, I now understand that it is against the rules and perhaps even disrespectful to have done so.

With that in mind I would like to apologise to all you good folk here in the MAS board for doing so. I have removed that post.

Sincere apologies,
Main Wheel.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Hi Rami Tamimi,

Thanks for replying. That is indeed a great idea to try the check in at the lounge.

Main Wheel.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
You will not need to do Immigration. As mentioned, the transfer counter is in the center of the 4 spoke wheel in the satellite terminal. Can't miss it.

If you arrive in the main gates (G and H) - just head to the aerotrain to the C gates.

Couldn't be easier.
Isnt there also a transfer desk in the Main Terminal itself? Opposite of the Harrods store, behind the wireframe globe or the miniature airplane models, I think?

[Edit]This one:

Last edited by crackjack; Feb 13, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.