Malaysia Airline - Cancellation

Old Dec 5, 16, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Passport Diamond, Le Club Accorhotels-Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold Elite
Malaysia Airline - Cancellation

Hello

I have booked non-refundable return ticket - " not permitted cancellations any time ticket is non-refundable in case of cancel/refund"

One of the flights in the itinerary has been rescheduled, increasing the lay over by an hour. Can I use this to ask for a refund to cancel the tickets?

Thanks
Raj
Old Dec 5, 16, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by rajivraj View Post
Hello

I have booked non-refundable return ticket - " not permitted cancellations any time ticket is non-refundable in case of cancel/refund"

One of the flights in the itinerary has been rescheduled, increasing the lay over by an hour. Can I use this to ask for a refund to cancel the tickets?
You can ask but unlikely for a one hour change, especially if it increases connecting time.
Old Dec 6, 16, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by rajivraj View Post
Hello

Thanks
Raj
They won't do it.
Old Dec 7, 16, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
The above rules is meant for you , if you cancel.

The airline re-timed your flight. Hardly cause for a cancellation unless you have immediate connections and it affects your ongoing journey.
Old Dec 7, 16, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
The airline re-timed your flight. Hardly cause for a cancellation unless you have immediate connections and it affects your ongoing journey.
Does MH have a specific window for allowable retimings, outside of which they will cancel the flights?

I believe some other airlines state that if a flight is retimed by more than x hours (4-6hrs is standard?), they will allow free rebooking or cancellation.

Of course, in this case it is only ~ an hour or so, so not really relevant, but would be useful for future knowledge.

Last edited by crackjack; Dec 7, 16 at 8:59 pm
Old Jan 20, 17, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond, Alaska 75K
I just made the classic mistake of booking a flight on the MH site but I typed in May 6th rather than May 5th. I only noticed once my ticket was issued. I immediately noticed it and so I called MH within minutes of booking to ask them to switch the dates. AND OF COURSE the answer was - $100 USD change fee as per ticket rules. It was only a $86 ticket. RRRRR! There was no way MH was going to change it.

This is why I will ONLY book on US Websites as they have the 24hr cancellation / change rule.

How I hate MH sometimes. So inflexible.
Old Jan 20, 17, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by davistev View Post
I just made the classic mistake of booking a flight on the MH site but I typed in May 6th rather than May 5th. I only noticed once my ticket was issued. I immediately noticed it and so I called MH within minutes of booking to ask them to switch the dates. AND OF COURSE the answer was - $100 USD change fee as per ticket rules. It was only a $86 ticket. RRRRR! There was no way MH was going to change it.

This is why I will ONLY book on US Websites as they have the 24hr cancellation / change rule.

Well, you could have booked on Expedia.com then..
Old Jan 24, 17, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by davistev View Post

And the DOT 24 hr rule only apply to airlines for flights to/from USA and not even TA.
Old Mar 17, 20, 6:48 am
KRS

Programs: Gold: Club Carlson/A3/IHG, Plat: SPG,Marriott, Diamond: Hilton,SAS
We have MH flights that have been cancelled and we have been rebooked as follows, with new flights departing ~2 hours earlier.
I have requested a refund, but I am getting push back from MH saying that the fare rules apply and no refund is due (we purchased cheap non-flexible tickets)

MH1455 @16:55 to MH1437 @ 15:05

Searching here on FlyerTalk this seems normal behaviour; does MH cover this in their T&Cs?
Should I give up and contact my travel insurance/credit card company or persist?

Last edited by KRS; Mar 17, 20 at 11:15 pm Reason: wrong flights
Old Mar 17, 20, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by KRS View Post
We have 2 MH flights that have been cancelled and we have been rebooked as follows, with new flights departing >3 hours later or earlier.
I have requested a refund for both, but I am getting push back from MH saying that the fare rules apply and no refund is due (we purchased cheap non-flexible tickets)

KUL-LGK: OD2210 10:00 AM to OD2206 @ 01:50 PM
PEN-KUL: OD2103 06:30 PM to OD2107 @ 03:25 PM

Searching here on FlyerTalk this seems normal behaviour; does MH cover this in their T&Cs?
Should I give up and contact my travel insurance/credit card company or persist?
wrong forum for the wrong airline?!

do you even know what you are flying?
cyktai likes this.
Old Mar 17, 20, 5:47 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by KRS View Post
We have 2 MH flights that have been cancelled and we have been rebooked as follows, with new flights departing >3 hours later or earlier.
I have requested a refund for both, but I am getting push back from MH saying that the fare rules apply and no refund is due (we purchased cheap non-flexible tickets)

KUL-LGK: OD2210 10:00 AM to OD2206 @ 01:50 PM
PEN-KUL: OD2103 06:30 PM to OD2107 @ 03:25 PM

It is Malindo not Malaysia Airline... for Malindo, just straight go for Travel Insurance.

And furthermore, you said you purchase the cheap non-flex, then it is same situation for every airline in the world. Just by regulation, they should refund you the tax, but the domestic flight tax is just too little...
Old Mar 17, 20, 11:24 pm
KRS

Programs: Gold: Club Carlson/A3/IHG, Plat: SPG,Marriott, Diamond: Hilton,SAS
Sorry, I posted the wrong flights, corrected now. Also it is not 3 hours but ~2 hours.
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:48 am

Programs: Enrich
I just check the domestic tax and fee is about MYR 23 depending on your departure and arrival. But due to the flight reschedule is less than 3 hours, they are definitely not obligate to provide free cancellation based on regulation. But you can try to HUCA a few times, or else ask them to move to a later flight?
Old Mar 18, 20, 2:41 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific
Malaysia airlines is the worst with cancellations.
Old Mar 18, 20, 6:56 am

2hrs is definitely within the window MH (and other carriers) wont allow free refunds. Read your insurance T&Cs too, see if it will cover this situation as there is usually an allowed window for delays.

If it works instead, you can ask if MH is willing to rebook all of you on MH 1459...

Of course, it also depends on the flight dates: the coronavirus situation is making things very difficult to assess. e.g. MH is now offering free changes, with the nationwide lockdown... perhaps MHs approach to cancellation too will change in the future.
KRS likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 18, 20 at 7:09 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: