Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crackjack
Here’s MH’s current official position as advised to the public:
https://askmh.malaysiaairlines.com/f...language=en_US

Originally Posted by AskMH, as of Mar 25, 2022
If I'm travelling multiple sectors, can I check-in my baggage to the final destination?
Yes, as long as you are holding a single PNR.

For flights on oneworld member airlines, Malaysia Airlines still allows passengers to check-through to a final destination with baggage even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings provided the travel begins with Malaysia Airlines. Please note that this may not be possible on your return journey if travel begins with another oneworld member airline that chooses to adhere to the new oneworld obligation. Certain oneworld and code-share flights allow our passengers to check-through while some do not. Please confirm the status of your ticket at the check-in counter.

For those who are wondering how it's done in Amadeus Altea, here is a video someone at MH took of their training session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbtQvMphGI

In this video they show how to add "inbound" flights and "outbound" flights to the check-in record.

Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I’ve had BPs printed for non-Amadeus and non-OW airlines too.
That's EDIFACT Interline Check-In working the way it should! The Amadeus Altea interface (graphical) makes it a lot easier to do for carriers such as MH (see the link to the video above).
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by nov11
I've had quite a few occasions where MH was able to print onward OW BP. Especially if they are on Amadeus.
I've actually had it for ALL the OW journeys beyond malaysia where i had a separate ticket. Since this policy came into effect. The girls and boys at the MH F checkin are all very clued in nowadays.
nov11 and SilverChris like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:59 am

TGfg, so the best way to ensure this is done is to talk to the F counter staff at KLIA?

From an academic standpoint, will they print boarding passes for immediate turnarounds out from & back to KLIA? I'm not planning on doing such ever again, but I got the runaround when I was forced to do this recently due to last minute issues forcing me to rebook my ticket for such... (Granted, I did not try the F check-in section.)

Originally Posted by SilverChris
I’ve had BPs printed for non-Amadeus and non-OW airlines too.
Just wondering, this was from KUL? Or SIN as well?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by crackjack
TGfg, so the best way to ensure this is done is to talk to the F counter staff at KLIA?

From an academic standpoint, will they print boarding passes for immediate turnarounds out from & back to KLIA? I'm not planning on doing such ever again, but I got the runaround when I was forced to do this recently due to last minute issues forcing me to rebook my ticket for such... (Granted, I did not try the F check-in section.)
Turns no - i never seem to be able to get BP's for turns from KUL check in. Not usually a problem in most places if you PYOBP. Only exception is SIN that i know of - which requires you to visit the transfer counter.
crackjack likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: QF
On Saturday i am connecting through KUL on separate tickets, from MEL to KUL via SIN on a Qantas ticket (MH from SIN), connecting through to MH to BKK and onto AMM (RJ ticket).

I have checked baggage which i know QF wont tag all the way through, and i have a tight ish connection in KUL of 1.5 hrs, will MH recheck me airside at the transit desk, or shall i ask QF to only tag my bag as far as SIN and i can recheck in there?

Thanks
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: Enrich
If you have long connection at SIN, then it would be better for you to recheck at SIN. Else will had force QF to do it

Because now the check-in system will automatically cut-off at 1hour mark, those agent at counter won't have any admin write to overwrite it, so you definitely won't able to recheck your luggage and print BP for 1.5hr connection. Usually the aircraft took 10 minutes to reach to gate, 20 minutes to load the baggage in KLIA.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by jrfsp320
On Saturday i am connecting through KUL on separate tickets, from MEL to KUL via SIN on a Qantas ticket (MH from SIN), connecting through to MH to BKK and onto AMM (RJ ticket).

I have checked baggage which i know QF wont tag all the way through, and i have a tight ish connection in KUL of 1.5 hrs, will MH recheck me airside at the transit desk, or shall i ask QF to only tag my bag as far as SIN and i can recheck in there?

Thanks
Check thru to SIN. And then check from there onwards.

MH will not allow you to do your connection at the transit desk. Their systems (computers and human elements) are incapable to handle such requests.

Immigration these days have been horrendous at KLIA (in and out) due to the holiday season. Then getting your luggage is time consuming too. So you may not have enough time to connect.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
I managed to have my bags through-checked on two seperate tickets (MH to QR DPS-LHR vis SIN) to my final destination yesterday after having to insist that the agent do it. At first she said I would have to retrieve my baggage and check-in again at SIN. I said I'd rather have my bags tagged all the way and have all boarding passes issued. She then proceeded with a story about how it was more safe to check in again at SIN, because the chances of someone stealing the bags would be smaller. I was like... really? After having to be quite firm, she finally agreed to check my bags all the way and to issue boarding passes for the whole journey. Not with a smile though and no 'thank you sir, have a nice flight'. Just a very loud NEEEXT.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by gordon0808
She then proceeded with a story about how it was more safe to check in again at SIN, because the chances of someone stealing the bags would be smaller. I was like... really?
This made me LOL... you just wish these folks don’t start spewing nonsense just to wriggle out of doing something that they should - really can’t make this up!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:58 am

After having to be quite firm, she finally agreed to check my bags all the way and to issue boarding passes for the whole journey. Not with a smile though and no 'thank you sir, have a nice flight'. Just a very loud NEEEXT.
My normal reaction in such circumstances would be to inspect each boarding pass, and pack them up nicely in my passport v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:37 am

I managed to have my bags through-checked on two seperate tickets (MH to QR DPS-LHR vis SIN)...
This would've been DPS-KUL-SIN-DOH-LHR?

In that case, her suggesting that you recheck the bags in at SIN may have been a smart option. IIRC, there's a limit of 3 sectors on a single MH baggage tag, so your having 4 would lead to 2 tags on a single bag and thus potential confusion down the road?

Doesn't excuse the unnecessary attitude though.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
I thought I’d update with my successful experience today.

Flying SIN-KUL in biz on MH. Second separate ticket from KUL-LHR with British airways in F.

I asked the woman at the Malaysia desk at Changi if she could interline my bags, she looked at my BA reservation and promptly did this for me!

Saved me me a lot of time, worry and hassle.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by jcomport
I thought I’d update with my successful experience today.

Flying SIN-KUL in biz on MH. Second separate ticket from KUL-LHR with British airways in F.

I asked the woman at the Malaysia desk at Changi if she could interline my bags, she looked at my BA reservation and promptly did this for me!

Saved me me a lot of time, worry and hassle.
Did you get the BA onward BP at SIN too?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: Gold amb, krisflyer, Garuda, Accor Plus, MH Enrich
I think I would just report on my interlining Mh to MH in 2 PNR back in September

Cgk-kul vv and kul-ktm vv

It was smooth. I am still happy I spent 10.5 million idr on J class in 2 pnrs rather than (at that time) if i book return under one pnr:: 18 million J class cgk-ktm via kul , or 10.2 mln IDR eco

Again thanks much for the helps
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:05 pm

Hi guys,

Planning the following route:

(Single ticket - MH)
PEN-KUL-BKK
*4-hour Layover*
(Separate ticket - JAL issued with Alaska Miles)
BKK-KIX

Would the check-in counter at PEN be able to check baggage all the way through (and issue all boarding passes) to KIX considering they are One World?

Also the JAL PNR will be for 3 passengers, only 1 passenger starting journey from PEN so just give the ticket number would be sufficient for PEN check-in counter to tag all the way through?

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.