Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crackjack
Here’s MH’s current official position as advised to the public:
https://askmh.malaysiaairlines.com/f...language=en_US

Originally Posted by AskMH, as of Mar 25, 2022
If I'm travelling multiple sectors, can I check-in my baggage to the final destination?
Yes, as long as you are holding a single PNR.

For flights on oneworld member airlines, Malaysia Airlines still allows passengers to check-through to a final destination with baggage even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings provided the travel begins with Malaysia Airlines. Please note that this may not be possible on your return journey if travel begins with another oneworld member airline that chooses to adhere to the new oneworld obligation. Certain oneworld and code-share flights allow our passengers to check-through while some do not. Please confirm the status of your ticket at the check-in counter.

For those who are wondering how it's done in Amadeus Altea, here is a video someone at MH took of their training session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbtQvMphGI

In this video they show how to add "inbound" flights and "outbound" flights to the check-in record.

Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA++
Hello,

I have a potential 2 separate tickets (reservation):
1. NRT to KUL with MH89 booked with AA mileage (F) arriving 5:05pm
2. There is a flight, MH780 from KUL to BKK on 6:05pm. (thinking about booking this due to earlier time to arrive to BKK)

If I book no.2, separately, will I be able to 100% certainty that get my bag through from NRT to BKK?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by ssg10
Hello,

2. There is a flight, MH780 from KUL to BKK on 6:05pm. (thinking about booking this due to earlier time to arrive to BKK)

If I book no.2, separately, will I be able to 100% certainty that get my bag through from NRT to BKK?
MH are happy to tag through to other OW partners, so don't see any issues on MH to MH. I recently had no issues with MH - RJ.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA++
Originally Posted by flashware
MH are happy to tag through to other OW partners, so don't see any issues on MH to MH. I recently had no issues with MH - RJ.
Thank you for the info. So, I can just quickly transfer to the 2nd MH flight in the same terminal in less than an hour, right?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:18 am

Thank you for the info. So, I can just quickly transfer to the 2nd MH flight in the same terminal in less than an hour, right?
It should be doable, of course if there's any delays on the inbound you will not be protected. Given it's MH to MH they may rebook you, but you should plan on a contingency in case they don't as they're certainly not obliged to.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Hello,

Why don't you just book this as one award? NRT-KUL-BKK is a valid award routing on AA (and that way you don't have to spend money to buy a separate ticket for KUL-BKK).
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
One hour is fine but you don't have much room for error.

You might have to transfer from the Satellite (C gates) to the Main Terminal (G/H). It's only an airside train ride in between, though it will add a couple of minutes to your transfer.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:54 pm

3 separate tickets SYD-KUL-KBP, MH-MH-BA no problems whatsoever checking luggage all the way through, my bag did however arrive a day late but was delivered to my door free of charge. The connection was tight from MH2 to BA882.
I guess I run faster than the Baggage handling system between T4 and T5 ;-)
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Calcjr23
Hi guys,

Got a more complex interline situation next month. Would love to get your responses on the situation I'm currently in. I'm currently OWE if that makes any difference to the situation.

Barring the new changes of only interlining to OW carriers and selected codeshare partners, I guess I'm expected to be denied any interline but from the above replies, the SIN agents do have a good record of tagging bags through to the final destination.

For the record, here is the rather complex itinerary on 3 PNRs:

1) SIN-KUL on MH code and metal
3 hours 15 minutes transit
2) KUL-SGN-ICN on VN code and metal
3 hours 25 minutes transit
3) ICN-NRT-PPT on TN code (KE metal for ICN-NRT)

Technically I would be able to pick up my bags at each start point of each unique PNR and check them in for the next journey but should there be a delay, there could possibly be a snowball effect in the misconnection of flights. Also, the transfer of terminals at ICN may be an issue as VN lands at T1 and KE departs from the new T2 which is a 20-minute bus journey landside. Having landed at ICN countless times, Immigration has often taken me almost an hour to get out in the morning so that may be something to consider too.

Should I fail in convincing the Dnata agent in SIN, I would pick the bags up at KUL and re-check them in for VN where I hope there would be no issue through checking to PPT since VN is able to interline with KE and TN.

From Expertflyer, these are the MH baggage interline partners:

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
AA AC AE AF AH AI AS AT AV AX AY A3 BA BD
BE BG BI BP BR BT BU BW B7 CA CI CU CW CX
CZ C3 DL DT D6 EI EK EP ET EW EY E4 E5 E8
FG FI FJ FM FT FX FY FZ GA GF GH GP G3 HA
HM HR HU HX HY IA IB IC IE IG IM IR IY JA
JD JJ JL JP JQ JU J2 KA KC KE KK KL KM KQ
KU KZ LA LG LH LI LO LP LR LX LY L6 MD ME
MF MH MI MK MS MU MX NF NG NH NU NX NZ N6
OK OM OS OU OV OZ PG PH PK PR PS PU PX PY
PZ QF QL QM QO QQ QR RA RB RO SA SB SC SD
SK SN SQ SU SV SW S7 TA TG TK TM TP TU T0
UA UB UL UN UU UY U0 VA VC VE VN VO VS VV
WB WF WY W5 XL XM XN X5 YO YR ZH ZW Z5 Z7
2A 3K 4M 8M 9W

and the VN baggage interline partners,

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
AA AC AE AF AH AR AY AZ A9 BA BD BL BM BT
B2 DL D6 EK ET EY FM FT FV GF GK GP HA HM
HU HX HY IB IZ JL JO JP JQ JU KC KE KL KQ
K6 LH LO LY MD MF MI MK MU NU NX NZ OU PG
PR PS QF QR QV RJ SA SB SK S7 TG TN UA UT
UX U6 VA VN VS WY W9 XF ZH 3K 7D 8M

Appreciate all the advice I get!
Reporting back on this since I'm back! The trip went smoothly with all flights being on time and no misconnections.

Dnata (MH) Agent in SIN didn't want to interline, MH (VN) agent in KUL tried to do so but the system would reject it due to the TN codeshare hence I had to clear immigration and pick up the bags at ICN T1, take the 20 minute shuttle to T2 and then re-check in for KE.

A useful data point is having 3 hours or more transit in ICN if changing terminals are required on separate tickets.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:25 pm

Good update, Calcjr23, always nice to get real-world confirmation of all these policies!

which reminds me...

Originally Posted by crackjack
... but this would definitely have been useful for the NRT-KUL(MH) -> KUL-SIN (MI-metal, MH-coded) connection I did a while ago.
I have since taken this same routing (separate tickets) and the NRT-based staff were this time able to fairly quickly tag the bags for interlining through the two tickets, between flights MH71 -> MH5721(which is a codeshare on MI319). They did not issue the boarding pass for the KUL-SIN flight, however.

I can’t say how they would’ve treated the flight if it had been a MI-coded flight / MI ticket, but I was happy to pay the RM30 extra for the MH coded flight / ticket to not have to worry about that!

Last edited by crackjack; Nov 18, 2018 at 9:36 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:29 am

As a data point, checked in at SIN for SIN-KUL on MH and KUL-LHR-XXX on BA, both on separate tickets.

Luggage tagged through to XXX as final destination.

MH checkin agent at SIN was about to say “go collect your boarding passes for KUL-LHR and LHR-XXX at KLIA” but before she could finish her sentence, out spewed those boarding passes! Even she was pleasantly surprised.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
MH checkin agent at SIN was about to say “go collect your boarding passes for KUL-LHR and LHR-XXX at KLIA” but before she could finish her sentence, out spewed those boarding passes! Even she was pleasantly surprised.
I am surprised that the BA boarding passes could be printed as well, on separate tickets!

Still, tagging the bags all the way to XXX does not require you to be checked into the flight to XXX. The SIN agent should have been able to do the tagging regardless.

As a last resort, however, on my last trip through KLIA, a sign on the transfer desk stated that they could assist with transferring bags to the next flight (Iassume this was based on the bag not being tagged before); definitely something I could use every now and again!

[EDIT] Well, nuts. Looks like this is only to help ensure bags get onto your next flight, not retagging them on separate tickets. Guess that it’s only SIN and HKG who will do this regularly down in SEA.

Last edited by crackjack; Sep 30, 2019 at 9:32 am
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by crackjack
I am surprised that the BA boarding passes could be printed as well, on separate tickets!
I've had quite a few occasions where MH was able to print onward OW BP. Especially if they are on Amadeus.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by nov11
I've had quite a few occasions where MH was able to print onward OW BP. Especially if they are on Amadeus.
Interesting. They've never been able to do that for any of my trips... wonder how that can be finagled. Only times they've printed separate tickets' boarding passes is for transit thru KL... heck, they even refuse on MH-only turnarounds!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by nov11
I love the magic of Amadeus!

It seems like that when BA started using Amadeus a few years ago, they did not like the magic it could do and decided to introduce the no through checking of bags for passengers on separate tickets! This spread across the Oneworld alliance, with some carriers such as CX, JL, MH backing down.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
I’ve had BPs printed for non-Amadeus and non-OW airlines too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.