Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crackjack
Here’s MH’s current official position as advised to the public:
https://askmh.malaysiaairlines.com/f...language=en_US

Originally Posted by AskMH, as of Mar 25, 2022
If I'm travelling multiple sectors, can I check-in my baggage to the final destination?
Yes, as long as you are holding a single PNR.

For flights on oneworld member airlines, Malaysia Airlines still allows passengers to check-through to a final destination with baggage even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings provided the travel begins with Malaysia Airlines. Please note that this may not be possible on your return journey if travel begins with another oneworld member airline that chooses to adhere to the new oneworld obligation. Certain oneworld and code-share flights allow our passengers to check-through while some do not. Please confirm the status of your ticket at the check-in counter.

For those who are wondering how it's done in Amadeus Altea, here is a video someone at MH took of their training session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbtQvMphGI

In this video they show how to add "inbound" flights and "outbound" flights to the check-in record.

Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Hi amdgnyc,

I get what you're saying, but that sounds more restrictive than what I understand. AA will not accept a bag to check in across multiple tickets if they are the starting airline, for sure, but are you saying that they will ALSO not accept an interline bag which has been successfully checked by a partner? That sounds really surprising.

My tickets, and operating carriers, are MH, AA and AA. I'm on the HKG-LAX AA flight. But if MH has explicitly said that they will interline the bag to AA (as far as LAX anyway), then I struggle to see how AA could refuse that bag in HKG. That would create massive customer uncertainty and disruption. Just want to explicitly clarify if this is what happened to you.

I'm fully prepared for any of the following:

- MH refusing to check the bag farther than HK (against their published policy)
- MH checking the bag only to LA (technically short-checking, but because of the US customs issue, somewhat understandable)
- MH checking the bag the whole way through (surprising) and:
a. AA accepting it in LA without really paying attention (not surprising)
b. AA flagging it in LA for being checked across multiple tickets and re-tagging it only to DCA

or, even less likely:
c. AA paging me in HKG or otherwise contacting me to tell me that they are going to re-tag, or I have to go claim the bag (which is what it sounds like you were suggesting would happen, even if I got MH to tag it through)

I will certainly report back on what I actually experience. I carry travel insurance which pays cash for bag delay so don't much care whether my bag makes it with me as long as I see it again somewhere, someday
Correct, that's what I'm saying. I haven't had first hand experience with this as my flight had the AA part in the beginning of the itinerary. As I understand it, interlining is a two-way street...if AA isn't willing to check a bag to another airline they probably aren't willing to assume a bag from another airline. You are right that that seems restrictive, but it makes sense from a policy perspective (and liability perspective...which is what I suspect is driving the entire interlining issue). Not to mention AA is generally restrictive about the whole interlining thing (unlike MH and other OW carriers).

If you are down for the risk though, it'll be an interesting experiment! Please do report back, curious to hear.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:52 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by amdgnyc
Correct, that's what I'm saying. I haven't had first hand experience with this as my flight had the AA part in the beginning of the itinerary. As I understand it, interlining is a two-way street...if AA isn't willing to check a bag to another airline they probably aren't willing to assume a bag from another airline. You are right that that seems restrictive, but it makes sense from a policy perspective (and liability perspective...which is what I suspect is driving the entire interlining issue). Not to mention AA is generally restrictive about the whole interlining thing (unlike MH and other OW carriers).

If you are down for the risk though, it'll be an interesting experiment! Please do report back, curious to hear.
I can tell you from the many experiences that I have done this, as long as the beginning airline (no matter what alliance) interlines a bag to XXX destination - they will deliver it. No baggage handler is going to say oh, this is from YY airlines, I am not going to accept it on my airline because the tag number is not from my airline.
As long as it's labelled, it will go (exception to the usual baggage missing/misplaced situation).

Heck even recently when not expecting it, but I managed to interline 2 separate tickets between a OW and ST alliance airline which I was of course happy and bags arrived safely (and the first to come out).

Cheers!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
I was just thinking - if he bought a MH-marketed ticket on SQ metal (if the timing fits and MH is still offering the SGD44 tix on SQ and MI as well), would he have less of a hassle seeing that SQ is the operating carrier (which seems to matter more on *A) and get the bags to interline all the way to CDG (seeing how SQ seems to be very flexible about it?)
I was thinking of that as well but MH marketed SQ tickets are not cheap.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:37 pm

I'm the guy a few posts above that just did a AA-CX-MH itinerary on 2 tickets (successfully, I might add!) Important thing to remember is that AA officially does not interline with anyone, period. I had to re-check my bag with CX on my flight - AA DCA person would not check all the way through.
Wait... wasn't your DCA-NYC-HKG-KUL all on one ticket?

AA was unwilling to check bags through from DCA when the 2 CX flights were on one ticket?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:56 pm

if AA isn't willing to check a bag to another airline they probably aren't willing to assume a bag from another airline. You are right that that seems restrictive, but it makes sense from a policy perspective (and liability perspective...which is what I suspect is driving the entire interlining issue)..
As nldogbert mentioned, the 'from' another carrier onto an AA flight should not be an issue.

As mentioned here:
An airline that through checks a bag is assuming liability if the bag should go missing or be delayed at any point of the checked through journey. In buying 2 single tickets the first airline did not have the opportunity to price that risk into a through ticket price and therefore may not be willing to check bags through onto a separate ticket with an onward destination.
MKE-MR should be fine through to LAX.

Last edited by crackjack; Jan 17, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Will be flying MH SYD-KUL and then KUL-SIN, separate ticket, do I need to print out the second ticket in order to proper check in?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: MH-Plat OWE, HH-Diamond, SPG-Plat, MR-Plat, IHG-PlatAmb
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Will be flying MH SYD-KUL and then KUL-SIN, separate ticket, do I need to print out the second ticket in order to proper check in?
Assuming your KUL-SIN is also on MH, MH will issue both boarding passes at SYD and you will be able to check your bags straight through to SIN.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by asheby
Assuming your KUL-SIN is also on MH, MH will issue both boarding passes at SYD and you will be able to check your bags straight through to SIN.
Great. Yes, both on MH, separate tickets
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:49 am

BA to MH

Hi I'm travelling MH from LHR through to Perth is september at the moment I don't have a ticket to get me to London from Manchester I was going to book a BA shuttle return but 2 questions - will I have to pay the extra for the luggage as I'm travelling in J with MH and also will BA book my luggage through to Perth as they will be separate tickets ?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:57 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cinderwold
Hi I'm travelling MH from LHR through to Perth is september at the moment I don't have a ticket to get me to London from Manchester I was going to book a BA shuttle return but 2 questions - will I have to pay the extra for the luggage as I'm travelling in J with MH and also will BA book my luggage through to Perth as they will be separate tickets ?
Unfortunately BA doesn't care that you are connecting to a MH J flight. So therefore you will need to book a ticket that includes baggage (or pay extra on a hand baggage only fare) and you will also need to collect your bag in T5, and recheck it in T4. However, on the return, MH should check your bag all the way through to Manchester onto your BA flight.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Update/data point: HKT

Would MH at HKT (contractor staff) be prepared to check bags through to TK KUL - IST? (separate tickets obviously)

Considering buying a cheap HKT-KUL on MH791 18:10 – 20:40 connecting to my TK flight KUL - IST at 23:45. I would prefer to not clear immigration and to pick-up my bag before check-in with TK, but I'm aware of the recent change in OW policy on through check-in for separate tickets. However, given the experience at BKK reported above and realising that check-in at HKT is done by contractor staff, there might be a fair chance that a request for through check-in will accepted. Anyone with recent experience at HKT?

To anwer my own Q:

I purchased the ticket for MH791 HKT-KUL to connect to my TK flight out of KUL. Here is my experience earlier this week:

No issues getting my bag tagged all the way to final destination, despite the subsequent flights being with TK and on separate ticket. It seemed to me that the agent had done this very often before - he obviously knew how to do it and sorted it out quickly. Kudos to the staff at HKT to allow this.

Off topic: Recently, long lines to enter the terminal at HKT, at immigration, security check etc has been reported , but there were no issues when I went through around 5PM. I entered the terminal from arrival level (ground floor) without any waiting time, and only 2-3 persons in front of me in line for immigration. It worked like a breeze ^. A great experience and contrary to what many others seem to have experienced at HKT earlier this year.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
G

I wonder what MH, CX and AA will make of my upcoming SIN-KUL-HKG/-LAX-PHX-DCA/-MIA itinerary, on 3 different tickets? Any chance to get MH in Singapore to write a manual tag for THAT monster?
To update the forum: MH in SIN accepted it with no problem. Since the MH system can only put two destinations (one connection) on each bag tag, I ended up with *three* tags on each bag which was rather festive looking.

So the bags were successfully checked through all the way to the final destination. Kudos to MH.

(As for the actual success of this tactic, AA updated the record with the bag tags in HKG with no problem, but then managed to physically load only one of the two bags...so still not ideal, but I don't think that was related to policy, rather general incompetence).
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Would MH at HKT (contractor staff) be prepared to check bags through to TK KUL - IST? (separate tickets obviously)

Considering buying a cheap HKT-KUL on MH791 18:10 – 20:40 connecting to my TK flight KUL - IST at 23:45. I would prefer to not clear immigration and to pick-up my bag before check-in with TK, but I'm aware of the recent change in OW policy on through check-in for separate tickets. However, given the experience at BKK reported above and realising that check-in at HKT is done by contractor staff, there might be a fair chance that a request for through check-in will accepted. Anyone with recent experience at HKT?

To anwer my own Q:

I purchased the ticket for MH791 HKT-KUL to connect to my TK flight out of KUL. Here is my experience earlier this week:

No issues getting my bag tagged all the way to final destination, despite the subsequent flights being with TK and on separate ticket. It seemed to me that the agent had done this very often before - he obviously knew how to do it and sorted it out quickly. Kudos to the staff at HKT to allow this.

Off topic: Recently, long lines to enter the terminal at HKT, at immigration, security check etc has been reported , but there were no issues when I went through around 5PM. I entered the terminal from arrival level (ground floor) without any waiting time, and only 2-3 persons in front of me in line for immigration. It worked like a breeze ^. A great experience and contrary to what many others seem to have experienced at HKT earlier this year.
You were lucky... as all I can say is that probably because at HKT airport, MH counter staff are TG staff so as far as they're concerned, TK is a partner..

If anyone is connecting at HKT (Phuket), and even if its say, KUL-HKT-DOH on MH/QR Oneworld partner.... don't do it.

I was doing KUL-HKT on one ticket and HKT-KUL on another with no checked baggage. HKT airport has no airside transit facilities set up. On my last flight there last month, there was no such service and basically I had to queue for over an hour just to go through immigration, and then exit and recheck in at MAS counter.

I swore never to go through HKT again unless its a domestic flight.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
. HKT airport has no airside transit facilities set up. On my last flight there last month, there was no such service and basically I had to queue for over an hour just to go through immigration, and then exit and recheck in at MAS counter.
I've read this before... butI flew to Phuket mid-Feb, and definitely saw a sign for transit passengers to go straight vs turning right towards the immigration desks (coming off a bus)?

To be fair, I don't remember seeing that same sign when I went through a month before, but wasn't paying attention. Should've snapped a pic... next time!

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 8, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:23 pm

need some clarification on baggage allowance for OW Sapphire travelling on economy class (BKK - KUL), i read from MH website, either extra piece or 15kg, will MH honour it or do i have to 'battle' for it ? btw, my 1st flight will be from SYD-BKK on F class, and yes, TG will interline my baggage all the way thru to KUL, but i want to ensure i dont pack too much..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.