Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crackjack
Here’s MH’s current official position as advised to the public:
https://askmh.malaysiaairlines.com/f...language=en_US

Originally Posted by AskMH, as of Mar 25, 2022
If I'm travelling multiple sectors, can I check-in my baggage to the final destination?
Yes, as long as you are holding a single PNR.

For flights on oneworld member airlines, Malaysia Airlines still allows passengers to check-through to a final destination with baggage even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings provided the travel begins with Malaysia Airlines. Please note that this may not be possible on your return journey if travel begins with another oneworld member airline that chooses to adhere to the new oneworld obligation. Certain oneworld and code-share flights allow our passengers to check-through while some do not. Please confirm the status of your ticket at the check-in counter.

For those who are wondering how it's done in Amadeus Altea, here is a video someone at MH took of their training session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbtQvMphGI

In this video they show how to add "inbound" flights and "outbound" flights to the check-in record.

Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
(...and MH is still offering the SGD44 tix on SQ and MI as well)
SGD440, maybe
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by SilverChris
SGD440, maybe
SGD 44 do exist More so for MI than SQ (but MH 5844 / SQ118 seems to be regularly going for 44 on the dates I've selected)

​​​​
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So we are planning to fly in J from KUL to CDG with MH.
It sounds as though you're flying on MH from KUL-CDG in J....
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Yes there are several threads on this topic already but I thought if we could put this up on a sticky, that new threads wouldn't come up every few months...

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/e...n/counter.html

Through check-in for guests holding separate tickets
This has been updated on their website:

Through check-in for guests holding separate tickets

You can now perform through check-in over the counter if you’re travelling on separate tickets on the following flights operated by Malaysia Airlines (MH) connecting with our oneworld or codeshare partner carriers. With this facility, you’ll enjoy the convenience of having your bags checked through to your final destination when you check in.

Applicable Flights Example
Malaysia Airlines connecting with Firefly or MASwings
Malaysia Airlines connecting with oneworld partners
Kuala Lumpur > MH > Sydney > QF* > Auckland

*Qantas (QF), oneworld partner

Malaysia Airlines connecting with any MH flight number on codeshare partners.
Melbourne > MH > Kuala Lumpur > MH* > Doha

*Operated by Qatar Airways (QR), oneworld codeshare partner.

Perth > MH > Kuala Lumpur > MH* > Mauritius

*Operated by Air Mauritius (MK), non-oneworld codeshare partner.

Narita > MH/MH* > Kuala Lumpur > MH** > Abu Dhabi

* Operated by Japan Airlines (JL), oneworld codeshare partner.

** Operated by Etihad Airways (EY) non-oneworld codeshare partner.

Hong Kong > MH > Kuala Lumpur > BI* > Bandar Seri Begawan

* Operated by Malaysia Airlines, Royal Brunei Airlines (BI) codeshare on MH.

MH flight number on codeshare partners connecting with flights operated by code share partners.
Kuala Lumpur > MH/MH* > Amsterdam > KL > Copenhagen

*Operated by KLM (KL), non-oneworld codeshare partner.

Kuala Lumpur > MH/MH* > Hong Kong > CX > Los Angeles

*Operated by Cathay Pacific , oneworld codeshare partner.

Involuntary rerouting instances involving passengers with separate tickets
Enrich redemption: Enrich members holding separate tickets travelling on MH connecting with oneworld/codeshare partners
Kuala Lumpur > MH > London > BA* > Edinburgh

*British Airways, oneworld partner

Through check-in of baggage to final destination is not available on the following flight connections.

Flight Example

Between MH and non-oneworld partners

Between MH and non-codeshare partners.

Kuala Lumpur > MH > Paris > LH* > Frankfurt

Kuala Lumpur > MH >Sydney > NZ** > Auckland

Kuala Lumpur > MH > Shanghai > MU***> Xiamen

* Lufthansa

** Air New Zealand

*** China Eastern

Separate ticket check-in requirements for oneworld multi-sector journey

Effective 1 June 2016, oneworld alliance members are not obligated to offer through check in services for passengers and their baggage to their final destination when they travel on separate tickets on separate bookings. This means that if you have chosen to purchase two or more separate tickets on separate bookings for travel with one or more oneworld carriers, you may have to check yourself and your baggage in again at the end of each sector.

Malaysia Airlines will however, continue to through check-in passengers and baggage to their final destination for travel on one or more oneworld carriers where travel begins with Malaysia Airlines, even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings. Please note that this may not be possible on your return journey if travel begins with another oneworld member airline that chooses to adhere to the new oneworld obligation.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Any experience with HKT-KUL-IST? (the latter flight on TK).

I have plenty of time upon arrival from Phuket (around 3 hours until TK departure) but I would prefer to stay airside.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Any experience with HKT-KUL-IST? (the latter flight on TK).

I have plenty of time upon arrival from Phuket (around 3 hours until TK departure) but I would prefer to stay airside.
Which part of this did you not understand :

Through check-in of baggage to final destination is NOT available on the following flight connections.

Between MH and non-oneworld partner
TK is not oneworld. Unless the above is on one ticket, it ain't going to happen.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So we are planning to fly in J from KUL to CDG with MH. From SIN, planning to buy $42SGD MAS flight to KUL. Will MH interline with TG all the way to CDG? Or should we disembark in KUL and then check in with TG?

I think MAS only allows 30kg for economy passengers. Our luggage is usually maxed to 32 kg as per Star Gold allowance.
As per the other post :

Through check-in of baggage to final destination is NOT available on the following flight connections.

Flight Example

Between MH and non-oneworld partner
Your carriage with MH is only to KUL, and with a baggage allowance of 30kg. It has nothing to do with *A.

AFAIK with Oneworld tickets, even if it is operated with SQ, your luggage allowance is according to the flight number... eg MH.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by crackjack
This is more an AA question, rather than a MH issue. Interlining of bags on separate tickets (actually, separate PNRs) depends on the first airline which does the tagging.

Unfortunately, AA has also removed its interlining allowances for separate tickets along with most OW airlines, read the wiki here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2016-a.html

​​​​​​​
Great to see that oneworld's boneheaded policy is being rolled back, airline by airline. ^
I wonder what MH, CX and AA will make of my upcoming SIN-KUL-HKG/-LAX-PHX-DCA/-MIA itinerary, on 3 different tickets? Any chance to get MH in Singapore to write a manual tag for THAT monster?
Serious question, actually. / indicate the different tickets, so the first one is on MH and the last two on AA. My biggest interest is actually having the bag transferred at DCA: in HK I have the whole day and fast track immigration so don't really care about having to collect it, but avoiding being violated by US TSA at any possible juncture is...appealing.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I wonder what MH, CX and AA will make of my upcoming SIN-KUL-HKG/-LAX-PHX-DCA/-MIA itinerary, on 3 different tickets? Any chance to get MH in Singapore to write a manual tag for THAT monster?
They'll probably just take to LAX since you have to clear customs there (I know it's more convenient to just drop it off at LAX arrivals instead of re-checking it). But with AA (and if MH doesn't tag all the way to MIA and I doubt they will), you'll have to collect and re-check at DCA.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
As per the other post :

Your carriage with MH is only to KUL, and with a baggage allowance of 30kg. It has nothing to do with *A.

AFAIK with Oneworld tickets, even if it is operated with SQ, your luggage allowance is according to the flight number... eg MH.
I mistakenly asked the same question in another thread. So i made a mistake in my original question:

SIN - KUL on MH

KUL - ZRH on TG

Last edited by djjaguar64; Feb 11, 2017 at 6:50 pm
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:38 am

Great to see that oneworld's boneheaded policy is being rolled back, airline by airline. ^
Serious question, actually. / indicate the different tickets, so the first one is on MH and the last two on AA. My biggest interest is actually having the bag transferred at DCA: in HK I have the whole day and fast track immigration so don't really care about having to collect it, but avoiding being violated by US TSA at any possible juncture is...appealing.
I'm the guy a few posts above that just did a AA-CX-MH itinerary on 2 tickets (successfully, I might add!) Important thing to remember is that AA officially does not interline with anyone, period. I had to re-check my bag with CX on my flight - AA DCA person would not check all the way through.

When you say the 2nd ticket is on AA, assuming you mean booked by AA but on CX steel? You will have to pick up your bag anyway in LAX to clear customs...BUT if HKG-LAX is on AA steel, you will probably have to pick up your bag in HKG as well. If CX steel, you should be ok, and I would re-check the bag with AA there for the rest of the trip.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by amdgnyc
I'm the guy a few posts above that just did a AA-CX-MH itinerary on 2 tickets (successfully, I might add!) Important thing to remember is that AA officially does not interline with anyone, period. I had to re-check my bag with CX on my flight - AA DCA person would not check all the way through.

When you say the 2nd ticket is on AA, assuming you mean booked by AA but on CX steel? You will have to pick up your bag anyway in LAX to clear customs...BUT if HKG-LAX is on AA steel, you will probably have to pick up your bag in HKG as well. If CX steel, you should be ok, and I would re-check the bag with AA there for the rest of the trip.
Hi amdgnyc,

I get what you're saying, but that sounds more restrictive than what I understand. AA will not accept a bag to check in across multiple tickets if they are the starting airline, for sure, but are you saying that they will ALSO not accept an interline bag which has been successfully checked by a partner? That sounds really surprising.

My tickets, and operating carriers, are MH, AA and AA. I'm on the HKG-LAX AA flight. But if MH has explicitly said that they will interline the bag to AA (as far as LAX anyway), then I struggle to see how AA could refuse that bag in HKG. That would create massive customer uncertainty and disruption. Just want to explicitly clarify if this is what happened to you.

I'm fully prepared for any of the following:

- MH refusing to check the bag farther than HK (against their published policy)
- MH checking the bag only to LA (technically short-checking, but because of the US customs issue, somewhat understandable)
- MH checking the bag the whole way through (surprising) and:
a. AA accepting it in LA without really paying attention (not surprising)
b. AA flagging it in LA for being checked across multiple tickets and re-tagging it only to DCA

or, even less likely:
c. AA paging me in HKG or otherwise contacting me to tell me that they are going to re-tag, or I have to go claim the bag (which is what it sounds like you were suggesting would happen, even if I got MH to tag it through)

I will certainly report back on what I actually experience. I carry travel insurance which pays cash for bag delay so don't much care whether my bag makes it with me as long as I see it again somewhere, someday
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi amdgnyc, ..

I'm fully prepared for any of the following:

- MH refusing to check the bag farther than HK (against their published policy)
- MH checking the bag only to LA (technically short-checking, but because of the US customs issue, somewhat understandable)
- MH checking the bag the whole way through (surprising) and:
a. AA accepting it in LA without really paying attention (not surprising)
b. AA flagging it in LA for being checked across multiple tickets and re-tagging it only to DCA

or, even less likely:
c. AA paging me in HKG or otherwise contacting me to tell me that they are going to re-tag, or I have to go claim the bag (which is what it sounds like you were suggesting would happen, even if I got MH to tag it through)

I will certainly report back on what I actually experience. I carry travel insurance which pays cash for bag delay so don't much care whether my bag makes it with me as long as I see it again somewhere, someday
Personally, even if everything is issued on ONE ticket, and that all connections came out as several baggage tags, I wouldn't do it because it has more margin for errors.

I would allow the bag to be tagged as far as HKG, then go and collect the bag, and recheck at HKG with CX. Their systems would allow through check with two tickets and less possibility of bags going somewhere else..
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I mistakenly asked the same question in another thread. So i made a mistake in my original question:

SIN - KUL on MH

KUL - ZRH on LX
Still don't understand your question.

LX does NOT fly from/to KUL.

Do you mean Singapore?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:48 am

Personally, even if everything is issued on ONE ticket, and that all connections came out as several baggage tags, I wouldn't do it because it has more margin for errors.

I would allow the bag to be tagged as far as HKG, then go and collect the bag, and recheck at HKG with CX. Their systems would allow through check with two tickets and less possibility of bags going somewhere else..
Yep. But as stated previously, the recheck at HKG would be with AA, not with CX. My only CX flight is KUL-HKG as a codeshare. And a recheck with AA will definitely not get the bag checked through. That's very clear. We're more interested in what MH will do here.
I'm doing this for research purposes, to benefit the greater community and as I just said above, I'm fully prepared for the bag to be mishandled. But frankly, I'll know by LAX whether it worked or not, since I have to see my bag there regardless. So I don't see a whole lot of increased risk in giving through checking a shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.