Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crackjack
Here’s MH’s current official position as advised to the public:
https://askmh.malaysiaairlines.com/f...language=en_US

Originally Posted by AskMH, as of Mar 25, 2022
If I'm travelling multiple sectors, can I check-in my baggage to the final destination?
Yes, as long as you are holding a single PNR.

For flights on oneworld member airlines, Malaysia Airlines still allows passengers to check-through to a final destination with baggage even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings provided the travel begins with Malaysia Airlines. Please note that this may not be possible on your return journey if travel begins with another oneworld member airline that chooses to adhere to the new oneworld obligation. Certain oneworld and code-share flights allow our passengers to check-through while some do not. Please confirm the status of your ticket at the check-in counter.

For those who are wondering how it's done in Amadeus Altea, here is a video someone at MH took of their training session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbtQvMphGI

In this video they show how to add "inbound" flights and "outbound" flights to the check-in record.

Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by talfred
Hi guys,

Planning the following route:

(Single ticket - MH)
PEN-KUL-BKK
*4-hour Layover*
(Separate ticket - JAL issued with Alaska Miles)
BKK-KIX

Would the check-in counter at PEN be able to check baggage all the way through (and issue all boarding passes) to KIX considering they are One World?

Also the JAL PNR will be for 3 passengers, only 1 passenger starting journey from PEN so just give the ticket number would be sufficient for PEN check-in counter to tag all the way through?

Thank you
No issues checking the bags through. You may need to pickup the JL boarding pass in BKK though.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by flashware
No issues checking the bags through. You may need to pickup the JL boarding pass in BKK though.
MH is usually quite good at issuing OAL boarding passes, even on separate tickets.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: Qatar Plat, Sinbad Silver.
PEN - DPS on two separate PNR's

My experience at Penang, no problem at all took 2mins to check through bags with Priority tags to Denpasar. Much cheaper on two PNR's than one ticket.
Excellent service all round from Malaysia Airlines staff.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Separate PNRs, 90-min connection in BKK

Flying CGK-KUL-BKK on MH, then BKK-DOH-YUL on QR. Separate PNR’s, both tickets discounted Biz. When I booked the MH ticket earlier today, I thought my QR flight wasn’t leaving BKK until 11:40 PM, so I booked a 6:55 PM arrival in BKK. Then I looked again and saw that the QR flight actually leaves at 8:25 PM. (11:40 is the time it arrives in Doha,) I can change my MH ticket to an earlier flight, but only by paying a $100 penalty. So my inclination is to take my chances: 90 minutes appears to be a legal international connection in BKK. But I worry that MH might balk at checking my bags through to YUL, given the relatively short connection time in BKK. I would appreciate any information or insight you may have.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
Flying CGK-KUL-BKK on MH, then BKK-DOH-YUL on QR. Separate PNR’s, both tickets discounted Biz. When I booked the MH ticket earlier today, I thought my QR flight wasn’t leaving BKK until 11:40 PM, so I booked a 6:55 PM arrival in BKK. Then I looked again and saw that the QR flight actually leaves at 8:25 PM. (11:40 is the time it arrives in Doha,) I can change my MH ticket to an earlier flight, but only by paying a $100 penalty. So my inclination is to take my chances: 90 minutes appears to be a legal international connection in BKK. But I worry that MH might balk at checking my bags through to YUL, given the relatively short connection time in BKK. I would appreciate any information or insight you may have.
I don't see any issue with that, it's well over the MCT.
Assimilated Cajun likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:52 am

My agent told me if the transit the >6 hours they can’t check through the bags even it is same ticket and same pnr. Is this the case???
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by londonexpert
My agent told me if the transit the >6 hours they can’t check through the bags even it is same ticket and same pnr. Is this the case???
Sounds like baloney. Have had much longer transits than that and checked through no worries on separate tickets.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
Sounds like baloney. Have had much longer transits than that and checked through no worries on separate tickets.
yeah that’s what I thought

I called MH again and they confirmed I can check through. Don’t know what drugs the agent took...
flashware likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by crackjack

As a last resort, however, on my last trip through KLIA, a sign on the transfer desk stated that they could assist with transferring bags to the next flight (Iassume this was based on the bag not being tagged before); definitely something I could use every now and again!

Tried and gambled. Booked flight from IST-JED-KUL on saudia and separate MH flight from KUL-PEN with 1 hour and 45 minutes connection time.

Check in agent in IST wont check through my luggage to PEN as it says my flight is domestic and so cant do it and they said that SV has no interline baggge agreement with MH. Although on Expertflyer stated otherwise.

Unfortunately arrived in KUL late by 1 hour. Rushed myself to the transfer counter to try this. Refused with a big NO!. They dont do retagging of luggage. The lady mentioned that what they mean by that statement is that ”we will help you to key in our system that you have a luggage that is checked through by your previous airlines. If your luggage tag terminates in KUL, you have to clear the immigration and custom, pickup your luggage and recheck again at MH counter at the departure hall”

i wonder if insurance will cover this if flight is booked on separate ticket?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Enrich
I believe there is a chance but not sure how high it is. As for International to Domestic, even for MH itself the MCT is 3 hours if you book via MH website as a single ticket. Some more, the check in time limit for domestic is also 60 minutes before departure, therefore I believe this is part of the reason you getting a big NO.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by a.bakar
Tried and gambled. Booked flight from IST-JED-KUL on saudia and separate MH flight from KUL-PEN with 1 hour and 45 minutes connection time.
Apologies, a.baker. I guess I got too excited when I saw that they put up that notice. Someone actually suggested this could have been the case in a separate thread, should have updated that earlier post to reflect that.

Sad to hear it doesn’t work that way, and also you weren’t able to make the second flight.

Just to be clear, the MCT at KUL is not 3hrs I -> D on MH. An example is NRT-KUL-PEN on MH89+MH1162, <2hrs between. Still, unlikely insurance would cover for a 1hr delay, but worth asking...

Last edited by crackjack; Sep 30, 2019 at 9:53 am
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by dici
I believe there is a chance but not sure how high it is. As for International to Domestic, even for MH itself the MCT is 3 hours if you book via MH website as a single ticket. Some more, the check in time limit for domestic is also 60 minutes before departure, therefore I believe this is part of the reason you getting a big NO.
3 hours? I-D MCT is 60 mins.

Not that it applies when travelling on separate tickets, though.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: Enrich
I just realize that it become 60mins now. Few years back when I try to book SIN-KUL-LGK, the MH system indicates the connection time must be 3hours between the two segments, in both normal return and multi city options.

Which end up I cancel my plan to go langkawi for vacation because the overall flight time is too long.

Just check again now they offer much shorter connection time, which is good for passenger
Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by dici
I just realize that it become 60mins now. Few years back when I try to book SIN-KUL-LGK, the MH system indicates the connection time must be 3hours between the two segments, in both normal return and multi city options.

Which end up I cancel my plan to go langkawi for vacation because the overall flight time is too long.

Just check again now they offer much shorter connection time, which is good for passenger
It's been 60 mins for far as I can remember. If there were no workable connections under 3 hours, that's a different story.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
MH to JL separate tickets - baggage

Hi,

Will MH send my bags onwards to JL (and then AA) if I have separate tickets? I have a KUL-NRT-USA flight booked and am looking to get a SIN-KUL leg.

My options are Scoot or MH with the latter being twice the price. However, if I can avoid dealing with exiting in KUL and rechecking my bags, it is worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.