FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   Asian MH routes with amenity kit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1761187-asian-mh-routes-amenity-kit.html)

carrotjuice Apr 22, 2016 6:51 am

Asian MH routes with amenity kit

I hear that NRT is the only MH mid haul route in Asia that provides an amenity kit in J class... is it true?

I've taken PVG, PEK, DEL and BOM - none of these routes provide amenity kits.

nov11 Apr 22, 2016 9:51 am

You are right. Only NRT. Not even KIX/ICN.

Kiwi Flyer Apr 22, 2016 11:05 pm

I got one for ICN.

sharp5flat9 Apr 22, 2016 11:51 pm

None of BKK, CGK or MNL.

nov11 Apr 23, 2016 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 26523647)
I got one for ICN.

Good to know. Never knew they gave out one except for NRT ^

Kiwi Flyer Apr 23, 2016 5:00 pm

On my second MH ICN flight no amenity kit, so perhaps an anomaly the first time?

LinaLee Apr 27, 2016 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 26526058)
On my second MH ICN flight no amenity kit, so perhaps an anomaly the first time?

I think unless the rules have changed, hard to say these days, kits are only provided for overnight flights and those over 6.5 hours (if my memory is right that's what the stewardess informed a few years ago). Anyway, flight time is a criteria for when kits are given.

Hence, most flights around Asia do not have kits except those to Japan as they fall just over the 6.5hours time.

ashkale Apr 27, 2016 6:24 am

Overnight flights of over 7 hours.None last week from Del.

LinaLee Apr 29, 2016 5:45 am

Originally Posted by ashkale (Post 26541768)
Overnight flights of over 7 hours.None last week from Del.

News rules then with the new management :)

Previously, it was not consistent anyway in the old management. But was usually given more times than not especially on overnight flights and those on the border of the flying time.

Actually, it's probably not much point. The quality has seriously gone down hill. Used to be L'occitaine then went to Clinique and now some strange brand I've never seen before that MH started giving out about two years ago.

Still at least MH do provide if flight is over a certain duration compared to SQ who do not give any at all unless in first or suites.

carrotjuice Apr 30, 2016 8:25 am

Curiously, what is this "strange brand"?

carrotjuice Apr 30, 2016 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 26523647)
I got one for ICN.

When was this? I'm flying to ICN in a fortnight...

Enhancements Apr 30, 2016 11:01 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26557210)
Curiously, what is this "strange brand"?

Porsche Design
for the kit, Acca Kappa for some of the contents.

The hard case itself is better vs the previous Tumi.

Kiwi Flyer Apr 30, 2016 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by LinaLee (Post 26541733)
I think unless the rules have changed, hard to say these days, kits are only provided for overnight flights and those over 6.5 hours (if my memory is right that's what the stewardess informed a few years ago). Anyway, flight time is a criteria for when kits are given.

Hence, most flights around Asia do not have kits except those to Japan as they fall just over the 6.5hours time.

This reinforces my experience was an anomaly. I got amenity kit for daytime ICN-KUL and didn't for overnight KUL-ICN.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 26557213)
When was this? I'm flying to ICN in a fortnight...

Both directions were recent.

agjil May 1, 2016 11:53 am

I did KUL-ICN back in January this year and no amenity kits were provided.
It's not just MH though, usually most airlines don't provide amenity kits on intra-Asia routes.

carrotjuice May 10, 2016 1:03 am

Was told that MH policy is to provide amenity kit only for flights longer than 7 hours... regardless of whether it's a day or night flight because (drumroll... wait for the answer) "anything shorter than that, people prefer to enjoy the onboard experience rather than sleep"!

Seriously. Whoever made this statement obviously hasn't set foot on any J cabin on an overnight flight (especially those that depart from various Indian cities at god forsaken hours circa 2 am KUL time, and those longer Asian routes departing KUL shortly before midnight) - when most people don't want to do anything but sleep!

Even for the recent ICN flight that I took (where amenity kit wasn't given), the post takeoff J meal was a quick round of satay with no mains so passengers could quickly go to bed... and the main meal was breakfast, suggesting the airline knows and has designed the flight experience to enable passengers to sleep.