Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Mueller to leave Malaysia Airlines in September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP

Wow..so much for the saviour of the airline, as they say in Hindi a dogs tail is always crooked.Some of whom loved him here should also take note..

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines Bhd CEO and managing director Christoph Mueller will leave his executive position in September 2016.

Khazanah Nasional Bhd, which is the sole shareholder of the airline, said on Tuesday it was informed by the MAB board of directors about Mueller's intention to leave.

“The matter has also been discussed and recorded at the Khazanah board of directors meeting earlier today.

“While we would have wanted Mueller to continue as planned, we also respect and ultimately agree to his decision to leave ahead of the end of his three-year contract, due to a change in his personal circumstances,” it said.

http://www.thestar.com.my/business/b...-in-september/
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Wow he gave up? What a surprise...
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Unfortunately even with MH being in private hands, everything must still go through the bureaucracy of the Malaysian parliament... even a change in design of napkins ! Mueller refuses to play puppet and he had originally said that he would lead MH only if he has free reign as to do what he needs. But seeing the state of how Malaysian companies are run.. eg favourtism, it is very difficult to do so. Typical example.. who has ever heard of a 25 year catering contract?

I only hope that his successor will still be a foreigner. If it goes to a bumiputra, MAB will sink again. Unless of course that person has had success in running an airline. But seeing the history of MAS, that seems unlikely.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by ashkale
...as they say in Hindi a dogs tail is always crooked.Some of whom loved him here should also take note..
So, OP, are you implying Mueller is crooked (vs the Malaysian "system") and therefore his loss is good riddance? I think most above disagree with you. But I'm more interested in what you would buttress your opinion with.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
So, OP, are you implying Mueller is crooked (vs the Malaysian "system") and therefore his loss is good riddance? I think most above disagree with you. But I'm more interested in what you would buttress your opinion with.
Sounds like you are a Malaysian not to understand what the crooked is here. The timing of the announcement might have something to do with bringing the 747 back in service..its sad really what is happening in Malaysia now has happened in the past in Zimbabwe.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
I read the opposite, not that Mueller himself is crooked, but that he couldn't handle the crooked system so had to get out ....
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA, HA
yeah, I'm definitely not Malaysian. Was sad to see the hit MH & the public took (triple whammy?) and wanted to see them prosper under Mueller. And lately keep hearing about crooked politics in that vicinity, generally. Was truly unsure if OP was implying Mueller or the system was the crooked tail. Sounds like posters on this thread are unanimous it's the system.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
GG MH. W/O Mueller I don't see any future. No what if's can apply if they don't want Mueller or similar to manage the airline.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:50 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Prophetic article?

Mueller to fail at MAS
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Unfortunately even with MH being in private hands, everything must still go through the bureaucracy of the Malaysian parliament... even a change in design of napkins ! Mueller refuses to play puppet and he had originally said that he would lead MH only if he has free reign as to do what he needs. But seeing the state of how Malaysian companies are run.. eg favourtism, it is very difficult to do so. Typical example.. who has ever heard of a 25 year catering contract?

I only hope that his successor will still be a foreigner. If it goes to a bumiputra, MAB will sink again. Unless of course that person has had success in running an airline. But seeing the history of MAS, that seems unlikely.
We might see the popular Z fares back in very soon perhaps.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
His wife and kids are back in Ireland, never made the move to Malaysia. So that could possibly explain the "personal reasons", living away from your family is not easy.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by soonyeap
We might see the popular Z fares back in very soon perhaps.

And the airline going back into bankruptcy...given the way they (the government) had been running the airline into the ground prior to this...

With Mueller gone, I guess the number of suppliers won't get cut and the greedy buggers who are ripping the airline off won't have their supply chain cut.

Very very sad day....I don't have confidence they will now turn things around at the airline in the long term...

And for the record, the food in economy is total crap now.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by seattle29
His wife and kids are back in Ireland, never made the move to Malaysia. So that could possibly explain the "personal reasons", living away from your family is not easy.
That could explain it.. and maybe there is a political armageddon coming soon... with the Malaysian PM in the news everyday, and recent listings as Malaysia being the 2nd most corrupt country in the world, that might be something else brewing in the news.

Like I said, there are so many things wrong with the way MH is (still) being run. When Khazanah Nasional first approached Mueller, they said, yes we want you to run the airline but these are the conditions..you must do what we tell you and they put everything down on paper. Mueller took one look at it and said, no thanks, and left. It was then Khazanah returned to Europe and begged Mueller to return and said, ok, you can have free reign of the airline.

But a year on, it seems that the free reign is coming to an end and so, that may be the reason for him to leave as the local grumblings might have gotten too loud.

But all hope is not lost as MH's Senior Management is as follows:

Christoph R. Mueller
Chief Executive Officer

Peter Bellew
Chief Operations Officer

Paul Simmons
Chief Commercial Officer

Maybe, one of them can take over. Its usually the COO isn't it? Funny that both are from LCCs like Ryanair and EasyJet.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 21, 2016 at 9:58 am
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

According to uncle intel, it were the frequent trips with a certain colleague to Langkawi which raised alarms in Howth and consequently the decision to return to the family. Uncle Intel also informs that Mueller and crew have had a complete free reign on the airline, so there is still hope!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I only hope that his successor will still be a foreigner. If it goes to a bumiputra, MAB will sink again. Unless of course that person has had success in running an airline.
I vote for this (non-bumiputra) genius Malaysian airline CEO to take over the helm!

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/natio...takeover-move/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.