Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines No checked baggage for some European flights from 05JAN16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Just released in its travel advisory that MH is taking the long route to Europe via Egypt airspace. For safety reasons, passengers can only have carry-on baggage until further notice. Check-in baggage will be delivered later as soon as situation permits .

This sounds extremely unreasonable , given that any passengers on long trips to Europe would undoubtedly need their luggage. It's too short notice for people to alter their holidays as all accommodations would have been pre booked.

MH flights to Europe have been arriving a couple of hours late in the past few days.

Why is this only happening to MH? All other airlines seems to be departing and arriving normally and does not seem to have implemented this check-in baggage restriction . SQ for example is taking a more northerly route while still avoiding Syrian airspace.

Well I have a Paris flight coming up with MH this Friday. No doubt I will be missing all my European connections and also without my baggage.

Situations in MH is getting ridiculous. I am gonna crazy soon. After months and months of schedule changes requiring multiple ticket reissues now I won't even get there on time and possibly without my baggage . Not happy !
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:29 am
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
From the MH website:
From tonight, 5 January 2016 (until further notice), the airline will only be able to accommodate cabin baggage of up to 7kg – one piece totalling 7kg per Economy Class passengers and two pieces totalling 14kg (up to 7kg per piece) for Business/First Class passengers. Passengers who wish to check in their luggage will be able to do so, however their baggage will only arrive later.
Full announcement:
Temporary Limitation on Checked In Baggage Allowance for Kuala Lumpur-Europe Sector

Personally, I'm curious why they aren't doing an en-route fuel stop. Yeah, it's logistically a pain, inconvenient for passengers, but it's not a deal breaker.

Not taking my bags and limiting Y pax to 7kg of carryon until my bags show up at some random point down the road? Now that's a deal breaker!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Oh wow.

I can just imagine the chaos that's going to erupt at KLIA tonight. Between all the connecting passengers and the ones who don't receive this last minute advisory, there are going to be a TON of unhappy people.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:24 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Simply unbelievable.

The routing over the Middle East (which BA, KLM and Lufthansa take on their flights from KUL) is safe, and if they insist on a longer routing, they should refuel en-route.

They will regret the ensuing chaos and they're not doing any favours trying to improve their image.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:07 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
The headwinds have died down for the A380

Temporary Limitation on Checked In Baggage Allowance for Kuala Lumpur-Europe Sector

Normal baggage allowance on Malaysia Airlines’ flights to London, operated by the A380 aircraft, has been restored with immediate effect.

Baggage limitations however, still apply for flights to Amsterdam and Paris on 5-6 January 2016.

Please refer to our travel advisory section for further updates. Next update expected at 0100GMT/0900 Malaysian local time.

Updated at 6.44pm (GMT +8), 5 Jan 2016.
http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/e...n_baggage.html
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:18 am

I expect there is something more here than is being announced. Either there is a credible threat, or they are having some issues with the aircraft to AMS/CDG?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Malaysia Airlines No check-in baggage for European flights from 01MAY16

Can't they use the two spare A380s they have ? It's only a couple of weeks more they need to operate the AMS and CDG route ? Seriously I really don't know who came up with the stupid idea of banning check-in baggage in the middle of European winter ?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:34 am

Unbelievable. Oh well.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
7kg?

Right....
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kpc
The headwinds have died down for the A380

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/e...n_baggage.html
These headwinds only affect MH aircraft.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:10 am
whl

MH is rubbish. They are the only airline in SEA imposing such ridiculous rule. Have stopped taking MH long time ago. I rather take a longer route via BKK or SIN for my international flights.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:42 pm

This is the most bizarre news. Other airlines (eg. SQ, CX, TG, etc.) flying to AMS and CDG do not face the "unseasonably strong headwinds"?

There is something more that isn't being disclosed officially.

Cue conspiracy theories...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
So to ask to be rerouted via either KL/AF or any OW carrier ... as MH are not complying to their part of the contract ... what would they say do you think ..? as it is MH choice on the very southern route they fly the LHR , AMS and CDG flights due to the syria , egypt and russia / ukraine situation they choose to fly ....
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Absolutely bizzare..

Last edited by wolf72; Jan 6, 2016 at 7:14 am
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
As reported by New York Times, MH rescinded the policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.