Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Malaysian Airlines is a piece of crap run by management whose only aim is lining their own fat pockets using taxpayer funds. The crew are mostly fantastic but the guys at the top should be executed China-style for misuse of public funds.

And I speak as a Malaysian.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
By increasing award seats?

I think at this point, they might be limiting availability instead!
I think that at this time I do feel that they are limiting them.

I was just suggesting that there may be a net gain in opening up more, however. It would just be a function of what kind of conversion rate they would see from award customers (perhaps trying out the product as part of an award) to later paying customers. Nonetheless, if the in flight experience is still a strong point, then I'd say it's an opportunity for them to get good PR.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by UncleDude
And yet First Class Award Availability for BA/AA/QF Frequent Flyers remain unavailable.
Really? I was able to book F on KUL-CDG for next year only a few weeks ago using Avios.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by rooivalk
Malaysian Airlines is a piece of crap run by management whose only aim is lining their own fat pockets using taxpayer funds. The crew are mostly fantastic but the guys at the top should be executed China-style for misuse of public funds.

We presume you have seen some sort of proof......if you can share it ?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by rooivalk
Malaysian Airlines

Sorry, you lost your "I am Malaysian" card when you got the name of "your" national airline wrong.

But seriously... proof?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:32 am

Bottom line, the problem with MAS is not its customer service and quality, it is in fact quite good, at least compared to what pass for "service" on US carriers.

The problem with MAS is the fiscal management side. Not to mention bureaucratic interference from various parties with vested interest. This latest restructure attempt is designed to overcome those hurdles...in theory. Will it work? We'll just have to wait and and find out.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
Bottom line, the problem with MAS is not its customer service and quality, it is in fact quite good, at least compared to what pass for "service" on US carriers.
Before we start in on the US carrier-bashing, if you want to talk about MH service you might want to address how they seem to be great until there's IRROPS, at which point they usually melt down into a completely paralyzed and incompetent puddle.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative
Before we start in on the US carrier-bashing, if you want to talk about MH service you might want to address how they seem to be great until there's IRROPS, at which point they usually melt down into a completely paralyzed and incompetent puddle.
This is "normal" for many Govt. owned airlines. Depth of management and lack of training etc.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:15 pm

I don't know, is MAS really worse in this area than other carriers? I'm not saying they are competent in dealing with IRROPS, but I'm not talking about the two crashes, but the run-of-the-mill delays or cancellation due to weather or maintenance. I mean, if you want to talk about incompetence in managing flights that are delayed or cancelled, many US (or European) carriers are no better than MAS in terms of how they treat the passenger.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:52 am

The problems at MH concern me. They need to cancel a lot of their routes and sell a lot of aircraft. I think London, Doha, Hong Kong, and Tokyo Narita should remain (plus Australia), but other than that all routes need to go apart from SE Asia regionals. http://backpackerlee.wordpress.com/2...-from-tragedy/
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
The problems at MH concern me. They need to cancel a lot of their routes and sell a lot of aircraft. I think London, Doha, Hong Kong, and Tokyo Narita should remain (plus Australia), but other than that all routes need to go apart from SE Asia regionals. http://backpackerlee.wordpress.com/2...-from-tragedy/
You've forgotten India. These I imagine should stay. Like SIN, KUL is geographically an ideal hub for connecting from a range of Australian or SE Asian cities to a range of Indian cities, on city pairs that could not support nonstop flights.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
You've forgotten India. These I imagine should stay. Like SIN, KUL is geographically an ideal hub for connecting from a range of Australian or SE Asian cities to a range of Indian cities, on city pairs that could not support nonstop flights.
Agree on need for India flights. A lot of population are descendant of the Malay people from Southern India. Strong ties ...
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
They need to cancel a lot of their routes and sell a lot of aircraft.
I think they ordered the A380 for prestige sake and they're really not ready or structured for it.

Their problem, though is... who will take them off their hands? You might be seeing the first set of A380s to be mothballed.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
I don't know, is MAS really worse in this area than other carriers?
Based on what I've seen/heard, I'd rather go through a snowstorm at ORD.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Their problem, though is... who will take them off their hands? You might be seeing the first set of A380s to be mothballed.
Maybe TG. The A380 is one of the few types in their fleet that only has one configuration, they need to mix it up to make their customers feel at home. They could use them on the BKK-HKT runs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.