Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty

Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty

Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by JW76
This is totally irrational. I mean, lightning never strikes thrice, does it?
Tell that to the people traveling on both flights.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:39 pm

I dont think they've changed their pricing at all on the routes i look at them for.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:04 am

I was looking at AMS-KUL-AKL and right now it prices below 1000€. The return layover of 16 hours though is not that appealing.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:53 am

You want to bet on that? I am guessing that is what those who flew on MAS after the first crash thought, but now there are two hull losses with no survivors.

As for rationality, Passengers aren't rational. Doesn't matter if statistically being in another crash on MAS is close to nil, the image and reputation is now firmly stuck in the public mind of MAS being a dangerous airline. Unfair to MAS? Perhaps, but that is how the world works.

The airline would have certainly gone under if it weren't for the fact that is the flag carrier of the country. Now the Malaysian government is taking it private and bailing it out. Will it work? The airline has attempted restructure before, and the results on the spreadsheet are evident for all to see. There is too much resistance to reform and change within the airline. I fear MAS will remain nothing but a money drain on the government and nothing more. Let's hope I am wrong on that last point.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:41 am

just booked a flight to shanghai at 300USD, much cheaper than any of the competitors. anyway, i am quite happy with my flight experience last year.

while the flights out of KL are empty, the flights between SIN and KUL are very full and that limits their ability to sell more outward bound flight. no idea why they refuse to fly the bigger planes on the peak season to fill up their mid-long haul flights.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:46 am

This is Malaysia Airlines you are talking about. It is totally irrational for passengers to continue to fly with them. The service is bad, the lounge is dirty, and everybody working there are either downright dumb or incompetent.

I won't be surprised if a 3rd hull loss happens. Not that I wish for it to happen.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by tboons
while the flights out of KL are empty, the flights between SIN and KUL are very full and that limits their ability to sell more outward bound flight. no idea why they refuse to fly the bigger planes on the peak season to fill up their mid-long haul flights.
Yep exactly what I'm finding too. Can't get medium-long hauls that are wide open, simply because SIN/KUL or KUL/SIN is full, especially the 23:00 ex KUL or 06:40 ex SIN that connect to or from a range of flights.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by smit0847
They're not making any money selling F award seats to partners. If airlines did there would be a lot more available.
They aren't making money by not doing it either, to be frank.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: MH-Plat OWE, HH-Diamond, SPG-Plat, MR-Plat, IHG-PlatAmb
Originally Posted by RA-wannabe
This is Malaysia Airlines you are talking about. It is totally irrational for passengers to continue to fly with them. The service is bad, the lounge is dirty, and everybody working there are either downright dumb or incompetent.

I won't be surprised if a 3rd hull loss happens. Not that I wish for it to happen.
MH may have its flaws, but labelling "everybody" who works there as incompetent is too much of a sweeping generalisation, especially if you haven't experienced for yourself all facets of the airline.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:28 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Media brewing a storm?

Hi,

Just read this and clicked through to one of the twitter account WanPingCoombes which led to her Instagram account and this is what she commented
"Woke up to this picture in the media! For anyone who has been on a plane knows, family with children get boarded first, the flight was not empty, it was in fact full. It’s really sad that a thank you on a kind upgrade that I was offered is being used to attack an airline which has had such a difficult time. We should be offering support and compassion"

http://instagram.com/p/sMlrH_OqCt/

If this is true, it is really sad that the media somehow is driving the knive deeper into the situation of MH.

Cheers!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Everybody? Hyperbole much?
Granted it was only one experience, but service on our KUL-LHR A380 flight last December was excellent.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI

Speaking of irrational -- that's a profoundly irrational and unfounded thing for you to write, and most people with experience flying MH, including me, would say you're utterly wrong on every count.

The MH brand is badly damaged obviously but the product and service fundamentals are excellent and they need a comeback / redemption strategy.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Tell that to the people traveling on both flights.
Huh? How many are there?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:18 pm

Chinese bookings on MH were down 60% after the first accident.

Asian's are HUGELY superstitious, good and bad fortune is deeply rooted in to Asian cultures and fate is a very real consequence of making a wrong choice. It is not 'Luck' like westerners think of it, it is deeper than that.

MH was loosing BIG before the accidents, in 05 it lost $400 Million, in 2012 it was loosing $800 million. After the split Singapore Airlines took the more profitable longer routes and MH was left largely regional, increasingly squeezed by the huge growth of low cost carriers.

If MH want to continue, they MUST offer a better service, at a loss for a decade.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:24 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
It is all relative

Air India got a $40 Bn bail out from the Indian Govt
It was nationalized in 1974 I think.
40 yrs = 40 Bn; so 1 yr = 1Bn
or about $3M a day I think, even with FULL flights!

The Malaysians still have quite a way to go to reach them.
I could be wrong, if someone can search the extent of bailout, we will have some better numbers

Jet was bailed out for 250M I think, just peanuts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.