Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty

Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty

Reply

Old Jan 4, 15, 4:28 am
  #106  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 5,825
Originally Posted by trigleek View Post

Overall an awesome flight. Lots of entertainment options so I never grew bored. I was able to sleep and really had no issues --- other than the lack of priority access at CDG! MH is in Terminal One, which is star alliance country, and unfortunately as an MH First Class passenger, you don't get any priority access in immigration AND security --- so expect long queues! From what I recall, all other airlines (mainly star alliance) get priority access at immigration and security at CDG Terminal 1, but not MH.
I'm glad I saw this. Thank you so much OP as it saved me a potential headache.
Aventine is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 15, 12:43 pm
  #107  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 12,580
Originally Posted by trigleek View Post
other than the lack of priority access at CDG! MH is in Terminal One, which is star alliance country, and unfortunately as an MH First Class passenger, you don't get any priority access in immigration AND security --- so expect long queues! From what I recall, all other airlines (mainly star alliance) get priority access at immigration and security at CDG Terminal 1, but not MH.

I don't know why MH never negotiated a deal with CDG to give its premium passengers access to the priority queues (like SQ, NH, EK, etc.) The queues can be long given MH flies the A380 there.
Are you serious ? that's unbelievable and unacceptable. Did MH staff tell you this and/or were you declined access at the fast track lanes ?
Goldorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 15, 8:19 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Are you serious ? that's unbelievable and unacceptable. Did MH staff tell you this and/or were you declined access at the fast track lanes ?
In order to access the priority lanes, you have to hand your boarding pass to the security agent, who then scans the boarding pass. I tried 2 different priority lanes and after scanning my boarding pass, got the RED BUZZER. I then asked why that is the case and he told me MH never negotiated with the airport. Ah well.
trigleek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 15, 1:15 pm
  #109  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 12,580
Originally Posted by trigleek View Post
In order to access the priority lanes, you have to hand your boarding pass to the security agent, who then scans the boarding pass. I tried 2 different priority lanes and after scanning my boarding pass, got the RED BUZZER. I then asked why that is the case and he told me MH never negotiated with the airport. Ah well.
I'm really puzzled. You should complain to MH. This is not acceptable.
Goldorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 15, 2:06 pm
  #110  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 15,159
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Are you serious ? that's unbelievable and unacceptable. Did MH staff tell you this and/or were you declined access at the fast track lanes ?
I don't think this is all that unusual. LH pax at ORD don't have access to the premium lanes, I was told it was because LH didn't pay for it. My understanding is that all sorts of "premium" services are paid for by the airlines and only those who pay get access.
milepig is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 15, 7:00 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I'm really puzzled. You should complain to MH. This is not acceptable.
Not worth my time to further complain about it. I already talked to the MH manager at CDG and she's the one who told me that excuse. I don't understand why she never followed up about it (they've been flying the A380 to CDG for over a year now.)

If I ever do fly CDG-KUL nonstop again, I will fly Air France. The schedule is better too since AF leaves CDG in the evening after work hours; whereas MH departs at noon.
trigleek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 15, 1:35 am
  #112  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 12,580
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
I don't think this is all that unusual. LH pax at ORD don't have access to the premium lanes, I was told it was because LH didn't pay for it. My understanding is that all sorts of "premium" services are paid for by the airlines and only those who pay get access.
Absolutely, the airlines have to pay for those services when provided by the airport or another airline. There are obviously exceptions (MH @ CDG, LH @ ORD) but I maintain it is shocking that such services are not provided for J and even more for P pax. Part of the reasons to fly J or P is to have access to premium lanes at airports and not spend more time than needed in line. And it can be a criteria of choice of an airline.
And for the case you describe (LH @ ORD), it is even more surprising as, for departures, they leave from T1 a Star Alliance fortress with all premium services in place by their local partner UA.
Goldorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:25 am
  #113  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Programs: SQ AA TK
Posts: 1,324
As Goldorak mentioned, it all depends on the airline budget I guess. 2nd tier carriers tend not to pay for it.

Top tier carriers go over the top. Latest example I have seen was SQ in AMS. In the lounge, they had their own corner and paid extra for a much wider variety of food for their own passengers. Seen JAL do it at an American Port too.
dfs24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 15, 1:47 am
  #114  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Penang
Posts: 82
just landed with MH A380 at terminal 1 of CDG. the flight attendants are very courteous and there are more than 48 latest english movie on the entertaintment console with lots of magazines.

compare to other airline such as china southern which i flew to CDG just a month ago, MH very much better

in fact compare to SQ A380 which i flew before, MH attendant are more genuine and warmth. perhaps i am too proud to be Malaysian
weiwei2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 15, 3:49 am
  #115  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Brunei
Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by weiwei2 View Post
just landed with MH A380 at terminal 1 of CDG. the flight attendants are very courteous and there are more than 48 latest english movie on the entertaintment console with lots of magazines.

compare to other airline such as china southern which i flew to CDG just a month ago, MH very much better

in fact compare to SQ A380 which i flew before, MH attendant are more genuine and warmth. perhaps i am too proud to be Malaysian
There is a difference between flying SQ and MH in that warmth and genuine in flight service you get between the two...SQ is a good airline but MH definitely pips them for that little 'extra'.'

Always have.
wolf72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 15, 5:56 am
  #116  
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ASIA
Programs: TK Elite, AccorPlus Platinum, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,214
Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty

I agree. It may be a bit harsh, but I tend to define SQ as the force-taught smile, whereas MH has the genuine, heartfelt smile.
gilbertaue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 15, 8:56 am
  #117  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Pearl of the Orient
Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Posts: 25,679
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I'm really puzzled. You should complain to MH. This is not acceptable.
Apparently even KLM doesn't pay for Fast Track at BKK - for its Business Class or Platinum FB members either. So it really is up to the airline!
Guy Betsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 15, 10:06 am
  #118  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,756
Originally Posted by wolf72 View Post
Always have.
Did 12 MH sectors in the last month. I disagree about the "always" bit. The good crew really do outshine the SQ crew, in genuine warmth, personality and great service. The not-so-good crew really remind me of the not-so-good QF, EK or BA crew, it seem would rather be back in the galley talking and forget about the service piece (customers being a necessary inconvenience). I think that's probably a tradeoff on many airlines.
lokijuh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 15, 5:41 pm
  #119  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Brunei
Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
Did 12 MH sectors in the last month. I disagree about the "always" bit. The good crew really do outshine the SQ crew, in genuine warmth, personality and great service. The not-so-good crew really remind me of the not-so-good QF, EK or BA crew, it seem would rather be back in the galley talking and forget about the service piece (customers being a necessary inconvenience). I think that's probably a tradeoff on many airlines.

Very rare. But are we talking domestic or international/regional flights? 737 vs 777/A380/330 flights?
wolf72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 15, 7:44 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: country Western Australia
Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
Posts: 2,598
Given my local airport, I check the MH fares on a regular basis. If the flight load is low, the cheapest fares are, well, cheap. But they won't credit to any of the partner airlines (of interest to me). By the time you get to the smart fare category (which do credit), they are no longer competitive. Primary compare would be in CX V class, secondarily to UL R class.

Turns out that for the most part UL code shares using the same MH planes will be a better deal. Even if you need to purchase a positioning flight into CMB. Example BKK-CMB-KUL-PER

Related question: Dose MH award availability (to partners) show up anywhere online?

Happy wandering

Fred
wandering_fred is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: