FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1606082-malaysia-airlines-burning-2-million-every-day-flights-go-empty.html)

RTW1 Sep 20, 2014 2:28 am

Originally Posted by QF ExLurker (Post 23553303)
The revenue management aspect of refusing any offer less than MYR 1300 for an empty seat is interesting.

Revenue management has to look at the long term as well, nit just a transaction based model. Those that are paying for business might not be inclined to do so when they can upgrade for far less.

QF ExLurker Sep 20, 2014 3:10 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 23554255)
Revenue management has to look at the long term as well, nit just a transaction based model. Those that are paying for business might not be inclined to do so when they can upgrade for far less.

Depends if those upgrading for far less keep the transaction secret.
I would have kept it secret (other than posting on FT;))

Leavinglondon Oct 9, 2014 3:38 pm

Any indication of when there will be an announcement re the restructuring?

tboons Oct 9, 2014 9:33 pm

the thing is that the upgrade at the lounge does not give you the points etc. plus with the very competitive business class fares ex sin, which comes with all the points and miles, the upgrade at the lounge offer is not very attractive

nldogbert Oct 10, 2014 4:06 am

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 23654306)
the thing is that the upgrade at the lounge does not give you the points etc. plus with the very competitive business class fares ex sin, which comes with all the points and miles, the upgrade at the lounge offer is not very attractive

Coincidentally, received an bid upgrade email for my flight in Dec from Biz to First, I went to check it out and they want a minimal of 2700 USD to even bid.

No way I was going to take it.. I suspect they were just quoting a one-way in fare difference between my fare class and the lowest F-class ticket.

No idea who will take such a bid (of course unless money is not an object - but than you will be flying up front already).

Cheers!

tboons Oct 11, 2014 8:17 am

ya, like ex-sin, i can fly to PVG at 1100SG two way in business class.

If i purchase the cheapest fare, O, at 340SGD, and then pay to upgrade, about 800MYR/way that means that i am paying way more than 1100SGD and that 1100 SGD give me the miles, and baggage allowance!

wolf72 Oct 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Had the opportunity to upgrade for RM2500 from economy to business over the weekend from Istanbul to KL. I decided not to and stuck to economy but really, for a 10 hour flight, RM2500 isn't so bad actually.

eminere Oct 13, 2014 8:27 am

Originally Posted by wolf72 (Post 23663477)
Had the opportunity to upgrade for RM2500 from economy to business over the weekend from Istanbul to Turkey. I decided not to and stuck to economy but really, for a 10 hour flight, RM2500 isn't so bad actually.

Did you mean Istanbul to Kuala Lumpur? MYR2,500 is not bad.

wolf72 Oct 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by eminere (Post 23669292)
Did you mean Istanbul to Kuala Lumpur? MYR2,500 is not bad.

Yes, sorry. Meant to say KL.

shefgab Nov 10, 2014 5:54 am

I just cancelled a KQ flight from BKK-HKG and rebooked onto MH via KUL. They are currently selling o/w business on that route for $183! They're nearly the same price as Air Asia!

marqoos_pl Dec 7, 2014 2:49 am

I've been on AMS-KUL on the 01NOV and this flight was fully booked. BKK-KUL 16NOV had only few empty seats and the same KUL-LHR 16NOV - only few empty seats left...

Jan Jongboom Dec 11, 2014 4:57 am

Flights KUL-DAC / DAC-KUL in J are very empty lately. Last month only 4 out of 28 seats were taken. They were selling them for 400 EUR return (via phone ticket desk).

KUL-AMS end of November in J was full.

Think I paid 2200 EUR in total for AMS-DAC-KUL-SIN-KUL-AMS in J. With two day stopover in KUL, and a four day stopover in KUL.

lokijuh Dec 11, 2014 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Jan Jongboom (Post 23978660)
Flights KUL-DAC / DAC-KUL in J are very empty lately. Last month only 4 out of 28 seats were taken. .

This afternoon it was 5 out of 35 on KUL-DAC .... but Y was reasonably full. ex-SIN it was a great price return to DAC. BUT they moved DAC-KUL 1.5 hrs later which means I am stuck at KUL for 3 hours. MH really do need to have another flight from KUL to SIN between 19:30 & 23:05. It really is a disincentive.

ycp81 Dec 11, 2014 8:00 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 23979041)
MH really do need to have another flight from KUL to SIN between 19:30 & 23:05. It really is a disincentive.

MH is adding one more flight at around 2030hrs in their summer schedule next year.

trigleek Dec 24, 2014 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by smit0847 (Post 23428846)
They're not making any money selling F award seats to partners. If airlines did there would be a lot more available.

I just flew CDG-KUL on MH21 and from checking expertflyer the day before, there were only 3 First Class passengers, including myself. Even when I checked-in, I only saw 3 other occupied seats on the seat map.

However, on the actual flight, all 8 First Class seats were taken! I don't know who they were but there was a Malaysian family of 3 (father and 2 toddlers), and 2 other males. All 5 op-ups seemed to know the pilot or one of the crew members. Flight was not full despite it being the holiday season.

Overall an awesome flight. Lots of entertainment options so I never grew bored. I was able to sleep and really had no issues --- other than the lack of priority access at CDG! MH is in Terminal One, which is star alliance country, and unfortunately as an MH First Class passenger, you don't get any priority access in immigration AND security --- so expect long queues! From what I recall, all other airlines (mainly star alliance) get priority access at immigration and security at CDG Terminal 1, but not MH.

In the long run I do wish MH the best and I would fly them again but only ex-KUL. I don't know why MH never negotiated a deal with CDG to give its premium passengers access to the priority queues (like SQ, NH, EK, etc.) The queues can be long given MH flies the A380 there.