Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty

Malaysia Airlines Is Burning $2 Million Every Day as Flights Go Empty

Old Aug 27, 14, 10:45 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
And yet First Class Award Availability for BA/AA/QF Frequent Flyers remain unavailable.

Guess its their way of saying thanks for all the help British, American and Australian taxpayers have given them following the loss of MH 370
What a disgusting statement.
Old Aug 27, 14, 10:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Plat, AA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
Yup

Originally Posted by DFW-SEN View Post
I couldn't agree more.
Old Aug 28, 14, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN View Post
Dunno about disgusting, I just don't understand what the statement means.
Old Aug 28, 14, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
They aren't making money by not doing it either, to be frank.
'Selling" F and J seats as award space to other airlines does not bring in revenue But since all the costs (save meals) are already committed (fixed costs) they are losing money.
Besides it is a way to establish "credibility" in the "new" MH. If a person uses MH miles, then MH is reducing future costs (long term liability)
Old Aug 28, 14, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
I was looking at AMS-KUL-AKL and right now it prices below 1000€. The return layover of 16 hours though is not that appealing.
Actually you're right, some good fares on that route. 774 seems to be the best on average.

I actually tried to convince my other half to take MH up on this offer, but she wasn't having any of it (especially as it is the redesignated MH19) which I suppose just goes to show how strong public perception is.
Old Aug 28, 14, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot View Post
Chinese bookings on MH were down 60% after the first accident.

Asian's are HUGELY superstitious, good and bad fortune is deeply rooted in to Asian cultures and fate is a very real consequence of making a wrong choice. It is not 'Luck' like westerners think of it, it is deeper than that.

...If MH want to continue, they MUST offer a better service, at a loss for a decade.
I just flew MH J KUL-PVG last weekend. It was full, and with Asians. Maybe they didn't get your memo.

The service in J was the best service that I've seen in a while. Wife asked me if I noticed anything peculiar about the physical appearance of the MH male flight attendants. I noticed nothing, but I did notice that the MH female flight attendants would qualify as super-models.

The MH lounge at KUL seemed nice to me. I don't understand all the negative reviews about it. I could see how its service could easily get swamped. It wasn't as nice as say a typical QF (QF's SYD is my favorite), SQ, TG, BR, LH, LX or AC lounge. It beats CX, NH, UA and AA lounges that I've seen. There seemed to be a lack of toilets but otherwise, I'd camp out in the MH lounge at KUL any day based on what I saw.

If the MH tragedies changed anything about me, it made me cancel my TG flight IST-MLE. I'm no longer excited about flying over warzones.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Aug 28, 14 at 4:47 pm
Old Aug 28, 14, 5:07 pm

All this cash burning is bound to come home to roost. SOON.

Either a takeover, sale or drastic slimdown are the fixes.
Old Aug 28, 14, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren View Post

If the MH tragedies changed anything about me, it made me cancel my TG flight IST-MLE. I'm no longer excited about flying over warzones.
is that a new 5th freedom route for TG?

Surely you meant TK.
Old Aug 28, 14, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren View Post
I just flew MH J KUL-PVG last weekend. It was full, and with Asians. Maybe they didn't get your memo.

Bette
R get your traveling done. The world is aDding war zones.
Old Aug 29, 14, 7:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
Loads quite ok, Service excellent

I've flown 4 segments since July, all in J (ICN-KUL, KUL-SIN, CGK-KUL, KUL-BKK). My experience:

- Loads around 95% in J and similar in Y from ICN and to KUL, as well as in Y to BKK, about 85% in J to BKK, about 70% from CGK in J and Y (mid-day). Bottom line, loads were between decent and excellent.
- Fares: Very cheap out of ICN (but purchased in January), the other legs rather more expensive (+10%) compared to last year
- Service: Excellent and very professional on all flights.
- Ontime: All ontime or 10mins ahead of schedule.
- Lounges: Perfect in KUL. Contract lounges in ICN and CGK ... well as contract lounges are ...

So, bottom line a clear

I will not hesitate to book MH again.
Old Aug 29, 14, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
I've flown MEL-CDG vv since the MH17 incident, loads very light in Business, it felt like a private jet. Crew very pleasant and I will fly them again no question.

What I find interesting is that Air India is undercutting them substantially on Business class fares ex-Europe (on 787's that is), I am surprise MH aren't dropping prices to match & fill seats
Old Aug 29, 14, 10:42 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by flyGreg View Post
I've flown MEL-CDG vv since the MH17 incident, loads very light in Business, it felt like a private jet. Crew very pleasant and I will fly them again no question.

What I find interesting is that Air India is undercutting them substantially on Business class fares ex-Europe (on 787's that is), I am surprise MH aren't dropping prices to match & fill seats
I'd pay a fare premium for J in MH than on AI any day.
Old Aug 30, 14, 7:57 pm
ffI

Programs: AA 2MM, US CP, DL PM, UA 1k <=> HH DM, SPG/ClubC/Marr G, Hyatt/IHG Plat, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by eminere View Post
I'd pay a fare premium for J in MH than on AI any day.
That is a wise choice indeed.
Old Aug 31, 14, 2:17 pm

Aside from discussions of whether it makes or loses money, and perverted suggestions of quid pro quo as the reason for doing so, I do not see a downside in MH starting to open up more of its space to partner redemptions. I know I have been looking and not finding, and would happily fly MH. It would be a good PR move to get people in the planes, experiencing the service, and talking about the brand in a positive light.
Old Sep 1, 14, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Aside from discussions of whether it makes or loses money, and perverted suggestions of quid pro quo as the reason for doing so, I do not see a downside in MH starting to open up more of its space to partner redemptions. I know I have been looking and not finding, and would happily fly MH. It would be a good PR move to get people in the planes, experiencing the service, and talking about the brand in a positive light.
By increasing award seats?

I think at this point, they might be limiting availability instead!

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: