Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Privacy breach. Disgusted!!

Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:46 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold

Warning, this post will have some very disturbing content.i assure you the below is real. It is not an attempt of humor or a joke.

So I flew Malaysia Airlines in C from SIN to LGK via KUL. Nothing exciting and a nice flight. Arriving in KUL there was some confusion on where to go as the door to the terminal was locked. Weird but not a disaster. A door was opened to an escalator going up one level. One passenger (later called Mr. 1A) made a joke about it and we went on our way.

Next day, i suddenly got a whatsapp message from Mr. 1A. (I changed his mobile Nr to Mr. 1A and my name to my FT handle).

26 Jul 17:33 - ‪Mr. 1A‬: Hi is this Globalist?
26 Jul 17:33 - ‪Mr. 1A‬: I'm John from the flight yesterday
26 Jul 17:33 - ‪Mr. 1A‬: I was in 1A
26 Jul 17:34 - ‪Mr. 1A: I got lost trying to find the way out rwmember
26 Jul 17:34 - ‪Mr. 1A‬: Remember
26 Jul 17:34 - ‪Mr. 1A: Got ur number from Malaysia airlines
26 Jul 17:35 - ‪Mr. 1A‬: Wanted to ask u something
26 Jul 17:36 - ‪Mr. 1A: U here
26 Jul 17:36 - Globalist: Ask away. Am driving
So far so good, but was obviously surprised about my number being given by Malaysia Airlines to another passenger. I since found out that there is indeed privacy legislation in Malaysia but then it is Malaysia and dont think a complaint would go anywhere.

Things turned extremely weird after that. (This is where the content warning comes in).

26 Jul 17:36 - ‪Mr. 1A: U know the socks u were wearing yesterday
26 Jul 17:36 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: What brand r they?
26 Jul 17:37 - ‪Mr. 1A: I love white socks and really wanted to ask u to let me go worship ur feet
26 Jul 17:37 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: Ur socks were nice
26 Jul 17:37 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: But I was shy lol
26 Jul 17:37 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: I pay u
26 Jul 17:37 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: To let me
26 Jul 17:37 - ‪Mr. 1A: I love socks and feet
26 Jul 17:38 - Mr. 1A‪‬: ??
26 Jul 17:38 - ‪Mr. 1A: Would u let me??
26 Jul 17:38 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: Please
26 Jul 17:39 - ‪Mr. 1A: ??
26 Jul 17:40 - ‪Mr. 1A: Globalist
26 Jul 17:40 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: It wasn't easy finding ur number but now I have because I really wanted to sniff ur socks
26 Jul 17:40 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: And toes
26 Jul 17:40 - ‪Mr. 1A: So badly
26 Jul 17:40 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: Please
26 Jul 17:42 - ‪Mr. 1A: I hope u reply
26 Jul 17:44 - Globalist: Not going to happen. Good luck tho.
26 Jul 17:45 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: Ok but sock brand?
26 Jul 17:45 - Mr. 1A‪‬: What were they
26 Jul 17:45 - ‪Mr. 1A: They made me hard
26 Jul 17:45 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: ??
26 Jul 17:47 - ‪Mr. 1A: ??
26 Jul 17:47 - ‪Mr. 1A: Please tell me
26 Jul 18:07 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: ??
26 Jul 18:07 - Mr. 1A‪‬: Let me tickle ur toes
26 Jul 18:07 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: I pay u
26 Jul 18:07 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: Please
26 Jul 18:07 - ‪Mr. 1A: 300 US dollar
26 Jul 18:07 - ‪Mr. 1A: 20 min
26 Jul 18:08 - Globalist: This conversation is disturbing in many ways. I am not and never will be interested.
26 Jul 18:08 - Mr. 1A‪‬: Ur socks were nike?
26 Jul 18:08 - Globalist: Guess a conversation with Malaysian airlines is due for sharing confidential information.
26 Jul 18:08 - Globalist: Don't contact me again
26 Jul 18:08 - Mr. 1A‪‬: Ok
26 Jul 18:09 - ‪‬Mr. 1A: U made me h0rny
And thats when I blocked this nutter.

Like I said, I do not think contacting Malaysia Airlines will do anything but this is one memory I would have liked not having...

Globalist

Last edited by Globalist; Jul 27, 2014 at 7:03 pm
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
That is crazy. Definitely worth contacting the airline. Who knows, maybe 1A was an employee or friend/family of an employee and the number giver can be disciplined appropriately? I assume the airline has more than just your phone number?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:59 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gmitchs
That is crazy. Definitely worth contacting the airline. Who knows, maybe 1A was an employee or friend/family of an employee and the number giver can be disciplined appropriately? I assume the airline has more than just your phone number?
Must have been a friend of an employee if that was the case as MH does not have a whole lot of caucasian staff in KL. And yes when you make a booking online there is a lot of information given, email, adress, phone number, credit card, frequent flyer card... So far no other contact has been made. Just WhatsApp, no sms etc.

I will write a letter to MH about this incident requesting them to tighten up their privacy policies.

Globalist
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I don't think MH gave your number out deliberately..

First find out who you are.. then find out your reservation details through flight , date and destination when matched with name and he'll get your PNR. Hang up , call again, to retrieve your full reservation, and ask what phone number the reservation has for you.. Or that guy knew probably pretending to be your friend or that you might have left something behind as he was seated next to you.. and that he needed to contact you right away to return it. There are ways to find out info like that.

MH was in no position to be the middleman to call you to call him, so they believed him and probably gave him your number. True, the best way would probably have been to ask the guy to hand the said item to lost and found, but phone agent thought they were doing a good deed.

Probably send a whatsapp message back to the guy and say that you'll report him to the police for sexual texting and see how fast he'll change his phone number ! But I must say that its weird to find a proposal like that and for the guy to be so adamant in finding you. Hmm, I'd like to know now what brand socks you were wearing.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jul 30, 2014 at 7:07 pm
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
$900/hr for prostitution lol

Ridiculous how he got your Whatsapp info.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
$900/hr for prostitution lol
Are you suggesting a career opportunity ?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

First find out who you are.. then find out your reservation details through flight , date and destination when matched with name and he'll get your PNR. Hang up , call again, to retrieve your full reservation, and ask what phone number the reservation has for you.. Or that guy knew probably pretending to be your friend or that you might have left something behind as he was seated next to you.. and that he needed to contact you right away to return it. There are ways to find out info like that.

MH was in no position to be the middleman to call you to call him, so they believed him and probably gave him your number. True, the best way would probably have been to ask the guy to hand the said item to lost and found, but phone agent thought they were doing a good deed.
If you re-read you first part about the PNR, it makes no sense!

and your scenarios suggested MH breach the privacy act, no way should an employee to give out anyone’s contact/personal details WHAT-SO-EVER!
There is no easy way (just to give out someone's number to contact for lost property), only the proper way which is return to a staff member right away.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
If you re-read you first part about the PNR, it makes no sense!

and your scenarios suggested MH breach the privacy act, no way should an employee to give out anyone’s contact/personal details WHAT-SO-EVER!
There is no easy way (just to give out someone's number to contact for lost property), only the proper way which is return to a staff member right away.
I agree. I don't understand what I wrote either.. but to get above info is easier in asia than say in a western country. Some airlines are a bit more pedantic in securing info as above. But some airlines are more la-dee-dah. I guess OP's stalker got lucky. Pretty brave I must say.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Probably send a whatsapp message back to the guy and say that you'll report him to the police for sexual texting and see how fast he'll change his phone number ! But I must say that its weird to find a proposal like that and for the guy to be so adamant in finding you. Hmm, I'd like to know now what brand socks you were wearing.
Is "sexual texting" against the law in Singapore or Malaysia when it's between adults?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:37 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is "sexual texting" against the law in Singapore or Malaysia when it's between adults?
Doubt it, there is a lot against the law but sexting isn't especially as the laws are not easily adapted to new technology. Herassement is against the law but then luckily this stopped when i blocked him on whatsapp.

It was by far the weirdest experience I had after a flight.

I agree with Guy Betsy, in Malaysia it is easier to get information, it helps if you know someone but a bit of bluff can get you far. And GB, not telling you the brand of my socks but come smell them. You know the going rate...

Globalist
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I sometimes see people who have a business card attached to their laptop or carryon bag. Full address and phone numbers on these, which isn't too good these days. If you have a number, I'd have it be one that isn't your main number.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:57 pm

This is one of the strangest things I've ever read. Just out of curiosity, what type of socks where they?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:37 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Me and my white socks are currently in the galleries first lounge in LHZ T5. There seems to be a bigger interest in socks than I expected...

Globalist
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Globalist

It was by far the weirdest experience I had after a flight.
That insinuates there was a weirder experience during flight?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Globalist
Me and my white socks are currently in the galleries first lounge in LHZ T5. There seems to be a bigger interest in socks than I expected...

Globalist
White socks in the FCL are always going to attract attention.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.