Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk! Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with the earlier MH370 thread, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread, may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

FT MH 017 / Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Forum Moderation Team:
ABroadAbroad
cblaisd
JDiver
NewbieRunner

for the MH 17 Moderation Team

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

N. B. PLEASE SEE THE FAQ IN POST NO. 1.

OTHER FORA OF INTEREST:

This thread is about the loss of MH 17. In depth discussion of unrelated topics — geopolitics, passport theft, aviation security, airport security procedures, etc. — belongs in other fora. A few include:

OMNI/PR: Discussion of perspectives on politics and religion, including geopolitics and terrorism (requires 180 days on FT and 180 constructive posts prior to admission)

If you wish to discuss the politics and political implications related to this issue (or others), please do so in OMNI/PR; the MH 777 Crashes In Ukraine - Official In Kiev Claims Airliner Shot Down By Separatists thread is the place.

Travel Safety/Security: Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (including routing passenger aircraft over conflict areas).

Travel Safety/Security: Practical Travel Safety Issues for those discussing travel safety and security issues because they are planning a trip soon (including passport and nationality issues).

TravelBuzz: TravelBuzz for those wishing to discuss the relative safety of a specific aircraft - e.g. Boeing 777.

Further posts regarding any of these issues are liable to summary deletion.
We have a number of Destination fora to discuss various aspects of destination travel (including airports, airport connections, etc.) and Airline, Hotel, etc. fora. You can see them displayed in the Forum Home, here.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
RECENT UPDATE: U.S. officials have no doubt on the fact that this was an attack and that it was a surface-to-air missile - it remains to be seen, however, who downed the plane.

(from our newsroom)
U.S. Officials: Malaysia Airlines Plane Was Hit by Surface-to-Air Missile
Crash Was ‘Terrorist Act’, ‘Not An Accident’
The crash of a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 with 295 people on board is believed to have been caused by a missile fired deliberately at the plane.

U.S. intelligence agencies told sources it was a surface-to-air missile but did not indicate whether it was fired by pro-Russian separatist forces or Ukrainian forces...
<SNIP>
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Didn't realize this until now but in a somewhat eerie twist of fate today is the 18th anniversary of TWA 800

Another air disaster that kept popping into my mind is Tenerife because it was also filled with Dutch passengers.

Sad day....

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 17, 2014 at 5:12 pm Reason: Removed conspiracy speculation
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
Originally Posted by tyberius
American position on this is that a surface to air missile took down the plane. The "who" part is still being worked on.
Working on it? ? The CIA, National Security Council, and President must know the exact location where the missile was launched. The USA (and presumably also the Russians and other countries) have satellites that track all missile launches so that they know when ICBMs might be headed their way and can prepare for their part in the Armageddon. The big question is why aren't they telling us?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
Working on it? ? The CIA, National Security Council, and President must know the exact location where the missile was launched. The USA (and presumably also the Russians and other countries) have satellites that track all missile launches so that they know when ICBMs might be headed their way and can prepare for their part in the Armageddon. The big question is why aren't they telling us?
I'm not sure if early warning satellites can actually catch SAM launches; the infrared signature of something ICBM sized is much bigger.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by PetzLUX
The pic shows "Romeo Charlie" but "Romeo Delta" has crashed.
Correct, and from what I can tell, 9M-MRC landed in KUL yesterday, without any activity since then...just another bizarre piece to this story.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by nkedel
I'm not sure if early warning satellites can actually catch SAM launches; the infrared signature of something ICBM sized is much bigger.
And many of the larger radar stations like PAVE PAWS were set to detect a launch from a submarine.

I suppose that the radar system at Fylingdales could have possibly picked something up--if it was even focused on the Ukraine.

Last edited by fgirard; Jul 17, 2014 at 5:06 pm Reason: fixed spelling
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by UnderEst
Correct, and from what I can tell, 9M-MRC landed in KUL yesterday, without any activity since then...just another bizarre piece to this story.
If you look at RC's flight history, http://flightaware.com/live/flight/9MMRC - it doesn't fly very often for some reason.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
A pretty good read, though obviously produced in a hurry, at The New Republic which says in part:

"Make no mistake: this is a really, really, really big deal. This is the first downing of a civilian jetliner in this conflict and, if it was the rebels who brought it down, all kinds of ugly things follow. For one thing, what seemed to be gelling into a frozen local conflict has now broken into a new phase, one that directly threatens European security. The plane, let's recall, was flying from Amsterdam."

Full story here:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...airlines-plane
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by UnderEst
This being FT surely somebody will be able to say whether the background is AMS or not.

Looking at the guy's FB he's been to the region before so maybe was making use of a pic he'd previously taken?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by exilencfc
This being FT surely somebody will be able to say whether the background is AMS or not.

Looking at the guy's FB he's been to the region before so maybe was making use of a pic he'd previously taken?
That could be. It's been a couple of years from me but I don't think the bit of jetway in view is an AMS-style (portholey) jetway, either.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:25 pm
Suspended

I thought the same thing as you but I just summarized the article.

My feeling is that if they know who launched it, then what is happening are mechanisms discussing options (use the information as leverage to accomplish an end to this mess) and possibly acting on some of the options on the diplomacy front first.

Lastly if they know, it means that people are going to want to know how they know, and that means revealing capabilities and that is a strategic issue. So I'd be thinking there is a lot of talking going on right now about what to do about this.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg
Another air disaster that kept popping into my mind is Tenerife because it was also filled with Dutch passengers.

Sad day....
With the number of incidents over the years, it's not hard to believe that 2 will occur on the same day without it being a conspiracy.

Unless it is proven that this flight was specifically targeted, then it was just chance that it was this one and not one of the other nearby airliners that was hit (reports state that both AI & SQ had flights within 25km of the MH plane).

The flight originated in AMS, and was a KLM codeshare - so hardly surprising that there were a large number of dutch citizens aboard.

There are enough conspiracy theories out there without adding to them here - no matter the cause it should be remembered that 295 people have lost their lives and their families and friends are now dealing with this tragic news.

As a community of frequent flyers, I feel it is our responsibility to ensure that threads like this remain respectful & factual, after all with the number of flights/miles flown by members here it is not beyond the realms of possibility that one day one of us could be involved in something like this, and it could be our families & friends reading posts on FT in a search for information.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nkedel
They do it by looking for ultraviolet light.

I'd be betting if they say they can detect this stuff they have a handful of public ways and a handful of secret ways they can do it. Also that they've had this area under close watch for months probably helps their ability to read the situation.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: nada these days
This is horrific. My heart goes out to the families and friends of the passengers and crew. I hope MH is able to get past this -- they are having a spectacularly unlucky year. This whole situation is just awful. And, of course, if it was the separatists and it can be proved, that throws a whole new wrench into the conflict -- Europe probably will not look the other way.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:55 pm

I am old enough to remember the Russians shooting down Gary Powers' U-2 40 years ago at 70,000 feet.
You're older than you thought. The U-2 shootdown happened on 1 May, 1960 - 54 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.