Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk! Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with the earlier MH370 thread, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread, may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

FT MH 017 / Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Forum Moderation Team:
ABroadAbroad
cblaisd
JDiver
NewbieRunner

for the MH 17 Moderation Team

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

N. B. PLEASE SEE THE FAQ IN POST NO. 1.

OTHER FORA OF INTEREST:

This thread is about the loss of MH 17. In depth discussion of unrelated topics geopolitics, passport theft, aviation security, airport security procedures, etc. belongs in other fora. A few include:

OMNI/PR: Discussion of perspectives on politics and religion, including geopolitics and terrorism (requires 180 days on FT and 180 constructive posts prior to admission)

If you wish to discuss the politics and political implications related to this issue (or others), please do so in OMNI/PR; the MH 777 Crashes In Ukraine - Official In Kiev Claims Airliner Shot Down By Separatists thread is the place.

Travel Safety/Security: Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (including routing passenger aircraft over conflict areas).

Travel Safety/Security: Practical Travel Safety Issues for those discussing travel safety and security issues because they are planning a trip soon (including passport and nationality issues).

TravelBuzz: TravelBuzz for those wishing to discuss the relative safety of a specific aircraft - e.g. Boeing 777.

Further posts regarding any of these issues are liable to summary deletion.
We have a number of Destination fora to discuss various aspects of destination travel (including airports, airport connections, etc.) and Airline, Hotel, etc. fora. You can see them displayed in the Forum Home, here.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by adamak
If the rebels are not letting investigators / police get to the debris field now, which country will have the authority to force their way in? US? Russia? Malaysia? At some point, they'll have to collect the bodies, debris for investigation, right?
I don't think anyone has the authority. This is Ukrainian territory though and they are making noise that they want it investigated internationally. So as the law goes the invitation will be there, and no forcing necessary.

The problem of men on the ground with guns then is not so much a legal issue about authority, it's a case of the reality of not being able to get close because someone is shooting at you. To send tanks and APCs into this region is getting involved in a shooting war with Russian proxies and that is a high ante. NATO tanks and APCs are just over the border in Poland. I don't think there is any will to bring them in even with an invitation as cover for investigations, and nobody is going to fight a battle over this scene.

Any battle will be an excuse for the currently occupying forces to destroy it and claim it was enemy action.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:13 pm

Not sure if this was posted yet, but is the purported google cache of the tweet in which the pro-separatist leader took responsibility for shooting down the plane prior to realizing it was a civilian plane. The tweet was quickly deleted.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...-57424472_7256
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Sky reporting early estimate of 9 UK citizens aboard
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Lots of other airlines used that corridor. Only after this incident most of them announced on their websites (LH, BA and maybe others) that they will make a detour, otherwise it was perfectly safe. That area had no restrictions.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Fox News now confirming that the plane was shot down according to US Government.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Crew manifest for MH 17

This is just so sad

http://www.tnp.sg/news/anxious-messa...facebook-pages
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by blahter
I always keep my passport on me when I'm traveling.
I am in great fear of losing my passport. After display it goes into a zippered pocket in my bag.

With the condition of the plane... hard to say how all those passports ended up loose.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Reporting as 143 Dutch, 27 Australians, 22 Malaysians, 12 Indonesians, 6 British, 4 Germans, 4 French, 3 Belgians, 1 Canadian. Another 58 are currently unconfirmed (though 23 are supposedly American).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by tyberius
I am in great fear of losing my passport. After display it goes into a zippered pocket in my bag.

With the condition of the plane... hard to say how all those passports ended up loose.
when I travel, I also keep my passport book in a zippered pocket. I also keep my passport card in my wallet. on top of that, I have a laminated copy of my passport's personal data page and I keep it in my left shoe. there are also scanned copies of my passport on my phone, as well as on my Google Drive, so I can access it from any computer linked to the internet.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg
when I travel, I also keep my passport book in a zippered pocket. I also keep my passport card in my wallet. on top of that, I have a laminated copy of my passport's personal data page and I keep it in my left shoe. there are also scanned copies of my passport on my phone, as well as on my Google Drive, so I can access it from any computer linked to the internet.
There wouldn't be any issue identifying you!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - Amb-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by tyberius

Mine is always in pocket, regardless of if I'm on a plane...It's one of those things while on international travel I check by feel 'wallet, passport, phone'.

The videos of all the near-pristine condition passports found is interesting. Did they come off bodies? Did they leave seatback pockets? I can't imagine them flying out of rollerboards or backpacks...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dan98
MH issued a short statement on their website http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/e...ent1-mh17.html

and this is the probable page for the passenger manifest http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/site/mh17.html
For me, the first link doesn't work while the second goes to the MH official statement that we saw earlier.

Surely MH isn't going to post the passenger manifest, at least not until all next of kin have been located and notified.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:44 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UnderEst
Mine is always in pocket, regardless of if I'm on a plane...It's one of those things while on international travel I check by feel 'wallet, passport, phone'.

The videos of all the near-pristine condition passports found is interesting. Did they come off bodies? Did they leave seatback pockets? I can't imagine them flying out of rollerboards or backpacks...
I always keep my passport on me. One of my friends once witnessed a failed theft attempt aboard a trans-pac flight (thief tried to steal a laptop out of an overhead bin bag, but dropped it on the pax who was the owner...)

There's also FT stories of laptops disappearing, etc. These days.

That said, I'd guess that these passports were scavenged and collected/compiled. Is it that implausible? Not everyone is as "ick" about dead bodies...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Surely MH isn't going to post the passenger manifest, at least not until all next of kin have been located and notified.
How many of the next of kin won't know already
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
CNN also reporting that a senior US official is reporting the plane was shot down.

IMO it makes more sense that Russia, or the pro-Russian forces in Ukraine, launched. The plane was about to enter Russia. Speculation that I've read points to Russia providing the missile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.