Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk! Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with the earlier MH370 thread, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread, may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

FT MH 017 / Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Forum Moderation Team:
ABroadAbroad
cblaisd
JDiver
NewbieRunner

for the MH 17 Moderation Team

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

N. B. PLEASE SEE THE FAQ IN POST NO. 1.

OTHER FORA OF INTEREST:

This thread is about the loss of MH 17. In depth discussion of unrelated topics — geopolitics, passport theft, aviation security, airport security procedures, etc. — belongs in other fora. A few include:

OMNI/PR: Discussion of perspectives on politics and religion, including geopolitics and terrorism (requires 180 days on FT and 180 constructive posts prior to admission)

If you wish to discuss the politics and political implications related to this issue (or others), please do so in OMNI/PR; the MH 777 Crashes In Ukraine - Official In Kiev Claims Airliner Shot Down By Separatists thread is the place.

Travel Safety/Security: Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (including routing passenger aircraft over conflict areas).

Travel Safety/Security: Practical Travel Safety Issues for those discussing travel safety and security issues because they are planning a trip soon (including passport and nationality issues).

TravelBuzz: TravelBuzz for those wishing to discuss the relative safety of a specific aircraft - e.g. Boeing 777.

Further posts regarding any of these issues are liable to summary deletion.
We have a number of Destination fora to discuss various aspects of destination travel (including airports, airport connections, etc.) and Airline, Hotel, etc. fora. You can see them displayed in the Forum Home, here.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukra...as-356499.html

Separatist leader and alleged active Russian GRU officer claims his group shot down MH17:
Russian-backed separatist leader Igor Girkin (who also goes by the name of Strelkov) claimed credit. "The plane has just been taken down somewhere around Torez (Donetsk Oblast). It lays there behind the Progress mine. We did warn you – do not fly in 'our sky.' And here is the video proving another 'bird' falling down. The bird went down behind the slagheap, not in the residential district. So no peaceful people were injured." There is also information about another plane shot.
[...]
Strelkov, however, apparently mistook the plane for the Ukrainian air force's. He is a Moscow native who Ukraine's State Security Service says is a high-ranking officer in Russia's military intelligence department.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by mre5765
Separatist leader and alleged active Russian GRU officer claims his group shot down MH17
Strelkov has repeatedly denied that the VK.com account that has posted this belongs to him.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by go_around
Exactly, and it begs the question: why are civil aircraft flying over it?

A question, by the way, I asked myself last week when overflying northern Iraq (I noticed over Erbil that someone was shining a green laser at our EK plane).
Quite agree. I flew over Iraq myself some 10 days before that and it seemed we were weaving between smoking oil refineries...or battlefields. I thought the choice of route, while interesting, was a bit odd given that it is a war zone. But I simply thought we were out of range of anything dangerous. Where and when us this nonsense going to stop??

Last edited by Concerto; Jul 17, 2014 at 11:48 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
Originally Posted by lazard
Then I guess you'll never fly Lufthansa, Air France, and other major airliners as well.
Maybe I should have qualified that as war zones where the combatants have/use missiles - and Malayasian has the additional record of losing planes. And if LH and AF are flying over the eastern Ukraine, then their managers are equally incompetent. I will still fly LH and AF, but not near the Ukrane.

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by the810
Flying over Ukraine isn't problem unless you fly over conflict areas (like MH). I've been in Ukraine two weeks ago (close to its western border) and it was perfectly normal and safe.
Yes. Planes fly over areas in conflict all the time.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
Do you have a source showing the MH17 flight plan that includes one of the closed routes? If you plot the routes on http://skyvector.com/, the flight path of MH17 up to the point of the crash does not intersect any of the closed routes mentioned in the NOTAM. As far as I can tell, all the closed routes are in Russian airspace.

If you don't have a source showing that MH17 was actually flying one of the closed routes, please don't post inflammatory insinuations.
Here is the MH17 flight plan as filed.

(FPL-MAS17-IS
-B772/H-SDFGHIJ3J5M1RWXY/LB1D1
-EHAM1000
-N0490F310 ARNEM UL620 SUVOX UZ713 OSN UL980 MOBSA DCT POVEL DCT SUI L980 UTOLU/N0490F330 L980 LDZ M70 BEMBI L980 PEKIT/N0480F350 L980 TAMAK/N0480F350 A87 TIROM/N0490F350 A87 MAMED B449 RANAH L750 ZB G201 BI DCT MURLI DCT TIGER/N0490F370 L333 KKJ L759 PUT R325 VIH A464 DAKUS DCT
-WMKK1137 WMSA WMKP
-EET/EDGG0017 EDWW0023 EDUU0036 EPWW0052 UKLV0135 UKBV0153 UKDV0225 URRV0255 UATT0347 UTAK0411 UTAA0432 UTAV0507 OAKX0518 OPLR0601 OPKR0616 VIDF0631 VABF0725 VECF0747 VYYF0926 VOMF0930 VTBB1013 WMFC1051 REG/9MMRD PBN/A1B1C1D1L1O1S2 SEL/QREJ DOF/140717 RMK/ACASII EQUIPPED)

TAMAK/N0480F350 A87 TIROM/N0490F350 A87 MAMED

"EHAM 1000" indicates departure time in Zulu time.

"DOF/140717" indicated departure date -- today.

The "TAMAK-TIROD-MAMED" sequence indicates the flight was filed to fly the closed airway through Russian airspace, which begins -- when you are flying west to east -- at the TAMAK waypoint which is situated at the Ukranian-Russian border.

It is accurate to say the Russians do not have the power to close an air route over Ukrainian airspace, but when they close their portion of the airlane that picks up right at the border it has the same effect.

SkyNews is right now reporting that the cautionary NOTAM was issued at 0000 Zulu and "ignored" by MH.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by mre5765
http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukra...as-356499.html

Separatist leader and alleged active Russian GRU officer claims his group shot down MH17:
Russian-backed separatist leader Igor Girkin (who also goes by the name of Strelkov) claimed credit. "The plane has just been taken down somewhere around Torez (Donetsk Oblast). It lays there behind the Progress mine. We did warn you – do not fly in 'our sky.' And here is the video proving another 'bird' falling down. The bird went down behind the slagheap, not in the residential district. So no peaceful people were injured." There is also information about another plane shot.
[...]
Strelkov, however, apparently mistook the plane for the Ukrainian air force's. He is a Moscow native who Ukraine's State Security Service says is a high-ranking officer in Russia's military intelligence department.
His tweet also claims that there was a war plane behind the MH flight that was subsequently shot down, fell in the area of Krasniy Luch, and is currently being looked for.

This whole thing is a huge mess.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
Maybe I should have qualified that as war zones where the combatants have/use missiles - and Malayasian has the additional record of losing planes. And if LH and AF are flying over the eastern Ukraine, then their managers are equally incompetent. I will still fly LH and AF, but not near the Ukrane.
don't commercial flights go over Afghanistan? could have sworn my flights to India from the EU go over or near Kabul.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A NOTAM unfortunately doesn't do much if: the crew were not provided it in flight planning, or by the airline (I usually read NOTAMs during my flight planning), or if crew ignored the notice.

As some have enquired about the Buk Ground to Air Air Defence Missile (Wikipedia):

Propellant: Solid propellant rocket
Operational range: 30 kilometres (19 mi)
Flight altitude: 14,000 metres (46,000 ft)
Speed: Mach 3
Guidance system: Semi-active radar homing
Several variants exist; the system was originally designed in the 1970s. These are usually mounted on some kind of (tracked or wheeled) vehicle and carry an array of missiles (usually four).

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 17, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Although not yet officially confirmed by Malaysia Airlines, it is with great regret that KLM has learnt about the possible incident with flight MH17, codeshare KL4103, of Malaysia Airlines from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

We are in contact with Malaysia Airlines to obtain further information. As a precautionary measure KLM avoids flying over the concerned territory. KLM has published the currently available emergency number of Malaysia Airlines: 0060378841234.
http://news.klm.com/incident-with-ma...light-mh017-e/

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jul 17, 2014 at 12:05 pm Reason: Added quote code to clarify
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: A3 Gold | OZ Gold | BD RIP // BA Silver | QR Silver // AF Ivory | KE Skypass
Originally Posted by the810
Flying over Ukraine isn't problem unless you fly over conflict areas (like MH). I've been in Ukraine two weeks ago (close to its western border) and it was perfectly normal and safe.
Yes, but all the airlines I have listed flew over conflict areas according to flightradar/ flightaware data.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I guess what he was referring to is that this Strelkov tweeted earlier boasting that they had shot down a Ukrainian plane. The tweet was around the same time as contact was lost with the MH flight. The tweet has since been taken down but it is all over Facebook among Ukrainian users. He did not say that he had ordered the plane down but he did boast that they had shot down [what they believed was] a Ukrainian plane.
This is what I grabbed off of Vkontakte. They talked about shooting down an An-26 and then got another plane, and warned "don't fly over us."

This is the VK page where the videos were posted along with the quotations. They are now removed. It is replaced now with a statement blaming Ukraine it seems. So the first one brags about the shootdown, deleted, now replaced with blaming Ukraine or else "manager error" (pilot error) for the "crash."

http://vk.com/strelkov_info

Make your own judgments.

This is the Chrome translation (so some words are going to be wonky).

"17.07.2014. Statement to the press service of LC. "Malaysian airliner was shot down by Ukrainian stormtrooper airspace over Luhansk and Donetsk Republic closed the Ukrainian government. Violation Malaysian airliner could happen for two reasons: 1) provocation by Ukraine; 2) manager error. Any vessel on regulations defense should be knocked down a country whose airspace it violated. Witnesses who watched the flight of the Boeing 777 passenger, watched him gunship attack on the Ukrainian Air Force. Afterwards passenger plane split in two in the air and fell on the territory of the DNI. Ukrainian Forward After the attack was shot down and fell on the territory of the LC in the Red Ray. At the moment we are searching for a downed aircraft. ""
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:55 am

Malaysia Airlines should not have to deal with another loss of an aircraft or have to deal with mourning families and loved ones. Hope they find out who did this and get justice.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:55 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by invisible
Any confirmation that 23 US citizens were on that plane?

Reuters tweets: #BREAKING: Number of dead from crash of #MH17 more than 300, includes 23 U.S. citizen: Interior Ministry adviser, quoted by Interfax
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by mkjr
don't commercial flights go over Afghanistan? could have sworn my flights to India from the EU go over or near Kabul.
probably. and as i pointed out earlier. UA flights to KWI were flying over iraq when that route started, and that, in my opinion, was a much more volatile area. so it does happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.