Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk! Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with the earlier MH370 thread, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread, may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

FT MH 017 / Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Forum Moderation Team:
ABroadAbroad
cblaisd
JDiver
NewbieRunner

for the MH 17 Moderation Team

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

N. B. PLEASE SEE THE FAQ IN POST NO. 1.

OTHER FORA OF INTEREST:

This thread is about the loss of MH 17. In depth discussion of unrelated topics — geopolitics, passport theft, aviation security, airport security procedures, etc. — belongs in other fora. A few include:

OMNI/PR: Discussion of perspectives on politics and religion, including geopolitics and terrorism (requires 180 days on FT and 180 constructive posts prior to admission)

If you wish to discuss the politics and political implications related to this issue (or others), please do so in OMNI/PR; the MH 777 Crashes In Ukraine - Official In Kiev Claims Airliner Shot Down By Separatists thread is the place.

Travel Safety/Security: Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (including routing passenger aircraft over conflict areas).

Travel Safety/Security: Practical Travel Safety Issues for those discussing travel safety and security issues because they are planning a trip soon (including passport and nationality issues).

TravelBuzz: TravelBuzz for those wishing to discuss the relative safety of a specific aircraft - e.g. Boeing 777.

Further posts regarding any of these issues are liable to summary deletion.
We have a number of Destination fora to discuss various aspects of destination travel (including airports, airport connections, etc.) and Airline, Hotel, etc. fora. You can see them displayed in the Forum Home, here.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines MH 17 crash in Ukraine (17 July 2014 - PLEASE READ WIKI, FAQ)

Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Given where the plane crashed, the odds it wasn't shot down are quite small.

Interesting MH would choose to continue to fly through that area especially given another plane was shot down in that area just days ago.

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by joe19924
Would there not be changes in routing to places in Ukraine, having a knock-on effect to those going to Russia?
I don't think so. The airspace of Russia/Ukraine is not that congested, and I think there are several alternative routes for many flights (either to the north - over Russia, or to the south - over the Black Sea).

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
redacted

It'll depend on two questions:

1) is a missile strike confirmed
2) who fired it, and from where

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 17, 2014 at 10:41 am Reason: redacted previously deleted post content

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
I really like it how this russian guy Strelkov claims that they couldnt have shot it down, saying:
"we dont have weapons able to reach 10.000 kilometers"

I guess they mistook it for the An26 that was supposed to fly at lower altitudes, this explains the size difference. The rest is just excellent russian weapon technology that took down the aircraft and didnt stop at just a couple of thousand meters.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Scifience
Not trying to start a political argument in the middle of what looks to be a horrible tragedy, but if this aircraft was indeed shot down by someone (e.g. the Ukrainian or Russian militaries) with SAMs capable of taking out a plane at 30k+ feet, wouldn't this constitute an act of war?
I suppose it could be interpreted as such but it wouldn't really make much sense in this case. Presumably none of the parties in the current war have any desire for a war with Malaysia (or the flag countries of most of the other carriers overflying this area). So it makes no sense to delibirately target this aircraft and I don't think a random or mistaken attack could be considered an act of war.

[redacted]

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jul 17, 2014 at 10:47 am Reason: Removed quote and reply to now-deleted post

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Ukrainian ministry of internal affairs says the terrorists show down the 777 using one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buk_missile_system

http://korrespondent.net/ukraine/pol...pleksa-buk-mvd (in russian)

Originally Posted by LookingAhead
Was it on it's planned flight path? If so, who thought it was a good idea to fly over a war zone where two planes have been shot down in the past week (air to air I think)? Unbelievable and very disturbing if that was the flight plan.
Horrifying news. I just checked flightaware and many MH planes (eg all flights from LHR to KUL) overfly eastern ukraine. Shouldnt this immediately be deemed a no-fly zone?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: BA, VS, SU
Originally Posted by Temedar
I don't think so. The airspace of Russia/Ukraine is not that congested, and I think there are several alternative routes for many flights (either to the north - over Russia, or to the south - over the Black Sea).
Hope so. I just don't fancy being in any sort of danger...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
BBC analyst talked about how the separatist rebels in Ukraine might have acquired sophisticated surface-to-air missile systems capable of shooting down planes at such high altitude, but they wouldn't have access to the info. systems that give real-time data on transponder signals that identify a plane as a commercial, passenger aircraft.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by GreatDane
Horrifying news. I just checked flightaware and many MH planes (eg all flights from LHR to KUL) overfly eastern ukraine. Shouldnt this immediately be deemed a no-fly zone?
It probably should have been declared one before now...
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
This will spell the end of Malaysia Airlines. I doubt they will last the year out.

What a terrible tragedy. Repercussions will be interesting.
Definitely not good for MH regardless of who is a fault in either incident. Last year MH F awards on A380 to/from Europe were hard to come by. This year, good amount of awards available. Possibly related due to drop in bookings. This incident does not help either.

Programs: BAEC Silver
So sad. RIP.

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Scifience
if this aircraft was indeed shot down by someone (e.g. the Ukrainian or Russian militaries) with SAMs capable of taking out a plane at 30k+ feet, wouldn't this constitute an act of war?
Number of them. S-75 Dvina, the alleged Buk missile system is very capable to do so.

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff
Can someone clarify the likely debris radius if a plane was hit at 30,000ft?
I'm guessing lots of the videos/stills of smoke plumes at this stage may well be from another incident.
The missile would lock in on a heat signature, so obviously the engine would be the target. It's possible that if the engine or even just part of the wing is hit, the result would not necessarily be an explosion. If the plane's wing was just severely damaged, then it would drop from 30,000 feet relatively intact.

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Unofficial (pro-separatist) social media sources: the separatists seized a Buk SAM system from the governmental forces and used it to shoot down a Ukrainian An-26 on July 14.
UPD: Buk seizure confirmed by official Russian news sources. Though this still can be viewed as pure propaganda (except for the fact that the An-26 crash is real and confirmed by both sides).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.