Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 15 - 21 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #2

Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #2 (15 - 21 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

This thread contains a very few posts after midnight UTC, for reasons of post continuity.

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 15 - 21 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #2

Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:11 am

ABC News: Doctor says families of Flight 370 passengers to watch PM's press conference on TV, psychiatric staff on standby
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
Straits Times is now reporting that the Lead Investigator is denying evidence of hijacking.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...gator-20140315
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jstevenson0617
Forgive my ignorance, but what reason would a hijacker have to hijack this particular flight? It doesn't seem to me that Chinese and Malaysians, with a few others thrown in (i.e. 4 (?) Americans?) would serve to have significant impact. Not to say, of course, that those on the flight weren't important, but rather why them? Again, my education in this area is lacking; please educate me on possible outcomes. Thank you.
Chinese sources suspect that the PEK flight wasn't picked because of its destination. The speculation is that KUL-PEK is the longest flight that would have not seen sunlight before landing. KUL-PER is 2500 ish miles and KUL-PVG is 2300 miles ish. Both would carry less fuel then KUL-PEK. The KUL-NRT/ICN flights should see sunlight before landing and the hijackers were trying to delay passenger discovery of the hijack for as long as possible.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tsmith12
ABC News: Doctor says families of Flight 370 passengers to watch PM's press conference on TV, psychiatric staff on standby
Live pc can also be viewed on ABC.com

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video...ive-1-14476486
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:19 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
The press conference has started

Press conference starting now.

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
PM speaking now.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
Chinese sources suspect that the PEK flight wasn't picked because of its destination. The speculation is that KUL-PEK is the longest flight that would have not seen sunlight before landing. KUL-PER is 2500 ish miles and KUL-PVG is 2300 miles ish. Both would carry less fuel then KUL-PEK. The KUL-NRT/ICN flights should see sunlight before landing and the hijackers were trying to delay passenger discovery of the hijack for as long as possible.
Thank you. This certainly does help. But I guess my question is: what would any group gain from hijacking this flight? Are they simply looking to make their name/cause known or is there something bigger they are seeking to accomplish? My questions certainly sound naive and they are. I just don't know enough about the politics and military situations in this part of the world.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by kaushik123
Live pc can also be viewed on ABC.com

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video...ive-1-14476486
Also here: http://english.astroawani.com/videos/live
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you. This certainly does help. But I guess my question is: what would any group gain from hijacking this flight? Are they simply looking to make their name/cause known or is there something bigger they are seeking to accomplish? My questions certainly sound naive and they are. I just don't know enough about the politics and military situations in this part of the world.
We still don't know that at this moment.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:22 am

All this talk of elaborate hijacking plots is way premature and highly speculative, IMO.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's on CNN now.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:24 am

Basically he is saying the US have helped them.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:26 am

For starters, they'd gain a very large aircraft with a significant range. Why they want it or what they'd do with it, I can't begin to guess.

And to go back a few days to the false passport issue: we really don't know what the motive of those men was in being on that flight. Previously a stealth entry to the EU was assumed, but in light of recent info, perhaps that assumption should be set aside.

Was the purpose of the hijacking to get someone out of Malaysia, and drop them off somewhere? The suggestion that the plane made a brief stop after going silent raises that question.

I admit the above is speculation, but what at this time appears to be fact is that bad actors deliberately took control of that plane and all souls aboard it. At a minimum, they gained a 777, 230+ people and whatever cargo the plane carried.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
That is an odd theory.

Longer MH flights departing KUL that fly wholly in darkness (on this date) include

PER
LHR
CDG
FRA
AMS

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 15, 2014 at 12:36 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.