Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 15 - 21 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #2

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 15 - 21 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #2

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 29, 14, 12:51 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #2 (15 - 21 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

This thread contains a very few posts after midnight UTC, for reasons of post continuity.

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 14, 14, 7:34 pm
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Posts: 12,966
Originally Posted by pixitha View Post
some really good pictures @ boston.com

The big Picture, Boston Photos about MH370
Thanks very much for posting these. ^
karenkay is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 7:35 pm
  #17  
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,298
Originally Posted by MANman View Post
would a plane crashing into water cause a "seismic event"?
Surely the water will cushion the blow.
Even if the plane makes the hardest vertical drop belly flop landing it would only make a big splash, surely not detectable.
Water transmits shocks very well. However, an aircraft impact isn't big enough to be recorded unless they're almost on top of the impact site.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 7:42 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,372
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
this is about the 25th post that has mentioned "programming the autopilot to fly a route" ... as I mentioned a day or so ago, it's been a long time since I was in Boeing Flight Test, but I am pretty sure that the autopilot only has two principal modes (altitude hold and heading hold); the Flight Management System (FMS) (or Flight Management Computer -- FMC) is what's used to enter the waypoints for the route of flight

any experts out there, please feel free to elaborate as necessary
Sorry for using the wrong term and having read every page I don't remember a conversation about programming an incorrect route. In any case if somebody was trying to program a turnaround and entered the wrong endpoint could they create an incorrect route that the FMC follows?
alex_b is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 7:42 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 6,363
There is a question which has been asked number of times - if authorities know the location of the plane at the moment of last ping.

Answer - yes, they do

invisible is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 7:47 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MAN
Programs: FB Gold
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
Why climb to 45,000 ft?

One reason comes to mind, but I hate to mention it...has to do with oxygen.
I can't fault your logic.
However the result is terrible. Truly disgusting if deliberate. And truly shocking. Honestly, without a proper motive identified I cannot believe this would be a deliberate act.
If no one can offer a motive, I have to believe this was a mix of catastrophic mechanical failure, confusion and bad luck. Possibly the wreckage could yield evidence of fire that could substantiate this.
On the other hand the long after flight and the probable pulling of the voice recorder and flight recorder fuses means we will likely never have corroboration of a deliberate evil act.

And I still ask the question: to what end? what was the end game?
Without answers to this, it is surely more likely cock-up and not conspiracy.
MANman is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 7:52 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,981
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer View Post
So does this mean that the plane couldn't have flown the VAMPI-GIVAL-IGREX course without a human at the controls?
Originally Posted by alex_b View Post
... In any case if somebody was trying to program a turnaround and entered the wrong endpoint could they create an incorrect route that the FMC follows?
again, I'm going back to my 767 flight test experience (circa 1982) ... the pilots input target ("cleared-to") altitude as directed by ATC; once the autopilot "captures" the set altitude it automatically engages Alt Hold mode ... the pilots also input the desired route into the FMS, which manipulates the control surfaces (and the throttles, to help maintain altitude and airspeed during turns) to follow the desired track

if the pilots enter erroneous data into the FMC and accept the entry, the system will indeed fly the route as programmed

again, pilots and more experienced folks please clarify as necessary
jrl767 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 7:54 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
There is a question which has been asked number of times - if authorities know the location of the plane at the moment of last ping.

Answer - yes, they do
If they know the last ping and use time in the air to estimate fuel couldn't they narrow the radius to a much smaller window? Assuming the plane did not refuel anywhere.
mt99808 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 7:56 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC/ISP
Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
Posts: 486
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer View Post
So does this mean that the plane couldn't have flown the VAMPI-GIVAL-IGREX course without a human at the controls?
If the autopilot is on in LNAV mode and those fixes are set into the FMS, then the a/c will fly that route.

-dan
raybolt is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:00 pm
  #24  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: At home in the PNW
Posts: 48,657
Mods - ^^ on the Wiki refresh. Much easier on the eyes and more logical layout.
halls120 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:09 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Europe & Indonesia
Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 11,571
Originally Posted by raybolt View Post
If the autopilot is on in LNAV mode and those fixes are set into the FMS, then the a/c will fly that route.
I guess what I meant to ask was this. Imagine a nearly incapacitated pilot. He really wants to tell his plane to return to KUL. Could he mistakenly enter a code into the system that would result in the FMS "picking" these way-points on its own? Assuming the plane really flew that course.
Maluku_Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:10 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC, YYZ
Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Posts: 999
Originally Posted by MANman View Post
I can't fault your logic.
However the result is terrible. Truly disgusting if deliberate. And truly shocking. Honestly, without a proper motive identified I cannot believe this would be a deliberate act.
If no one can offer a motive, I have to believe this was a mix of catastrophic mechanical failure, confusion and bad luck. Possibly the wreckage could yield evidence of fire that could substantiate this.
On the other hand the long after flight and the probable pulling of the voice recorder and flight recorder fuses means we will likely never have corroboration of a deliberate evil act.

And I still ask the question: to what end? what was the end game?
Without answers to this, it is surely more likely cock-up and not conspiracy.
The Malaysian radar measurements may not be entirely accurate. CNN just showed a 777 flight simulator that it's almost impossible to fly up to 45000 ft without major alarms and impact on structural integrity of the aircraft, and the sudden drop in elevation will also be impossible with the G force without structural disintegration of the aircraft. They believe there was a change in altitude but likely much less in variation. Also, the sudden initial change in course in travel direction could've have been too steep without alarms sounding and spiral out of control.
gtpdiddy is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:17 pm
  #27  
Fairmont Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: (SJC)
Programs: HH Gold, Fairmont Platinum (No Airline Status, a first in 7 years)
Posts: 2,116
If the plane went south into the Indian Ocean from the Andaman Sea, I find it hard to believe Diego Garcia's UK/USA landing/fueling base couldn't monitor a better part of the Indian Ocean.

Or Australia's Jindalee 4000km early detection system should be able to track any southerly heading leaving south east asia.
AMRivlin is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:23 pm
  #28  
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,298
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy View Post
Does the timing of the seismic event corroborate with the satellite ping on the aircraft that most experts now acknowledged that the aircraft has flown 4-5 additional hours after initial disappearance?
No it is in conflict.

The seismic reading was supposedly* about 90 minutes after initial disappearance.

Mentions of pings have referred to 4 hours duration.

* potentially out by an hour due to time zones.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:35 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 537
Originally Posted by karenkay View Post
Thanks very much for posting these. ^
Some heart-wrenching photos of the victim's relatives.

Still, we are no closer to finding the location of the plane...
WindowSeat123 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:35 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cypress Hills Research Center
Posts: 5,295
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
No it is in conflict.

The seismic reading was supposedly* about 90 minutes after initial disappearance.

Mentions of pings have referred to 4 hours duration.

* potentially out by an hour due to time zones.
I would think that if whatever happened was powerful enough to register on a Chinese seismograph (time inconsistency notwithstanding) then it would likely register on CTBTO infrasound monitors.
uszkanni is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread