Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:38 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by moeve
Were those tickets for some sort stop or short return from Beijing? The reason I question that is because of the visas that these passports would have needed........ It seems strange because I remember it took quite alot to get my Chinese visa when we visited China. Unless these passports were targeted because they already had longterm Multi entry visas?
All EU passport holders can now transit for up to 24 hours through any Chinese airport (assuming they don't leave the airport), or stay in that region of China for 72 hours if they arrive at one of seven Chinese cities - one of which is, unsurprisingly, Beijing.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 9, 2014 at 1:43 am Reason: Clarify 72 hrs must be in area entered
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most OECD country citizens with passports can visit China visa free in select cities for 72 hours or less.
Only if they are in transit to a 3rd country. If I'm traveling NRT-PVG-KIX, I need a visa. If I'm traveling NRT-PVG-KUL, I don't.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, IHG Gold
A french newspaper is quoting the head of the Malaysian air force, General Rodzali Daud, saying that the plane maybe was turning back to KUL.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/20...-demi-tour.php
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Himeno
Only if they are in transit to a 3rd country. If I'm traveling NRT-PVG-KIX, I need a visa. If I'm traveling NRT-PVG-KUL, I don't.
That's right.

Not sure what happened, buy my post reads as follows:

"Most OECD country citizens with passports can visit China visa free in select cities for 72 hours or less when demonstrating they are transiting in such a way that allows for such a transit or visit."

You indeed detailed the proper condition that they are "transiting in such a way that allows for such a transit or visit".
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Blue
Re. the terrorism possibility, surely by now the group involved would have claimed responsibility?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive
Another press conference was held, and MAS has confirmed that two passports did not belong to two of the passengers on MH370.

The stolen passports were linked to two tickets that were purchased at the same time, and the ticket numbers only differ by one number (one ends with 99 and the next ends with 00). @flyingwithfish reports that two passengers who used the stolen passports were flying: KUL-PEK-CPH and KUL-PEK-FRA.

http://airchive.com/blog/2014/03/07/...ampaign=buffer
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by moeve
Were those tickets for some sort stop or short return from Beijing? The reason I question that is because of the visas that these passports would have needed........ It seems strange because I remember it took quite alot to get my Chinese visa when we visited China. Unless these passports were targeted because they already had longterm Multi entry visas?
they were transit pax en route to AMS
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Floating object is "yellow".

Hmmm...maybe it's not the plane, after all.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by johngbr
Re. the terrorism possibility, surely by now the group involved would have claimed responsibility?
If something went wrong and MH370 wasn't the 'target', they might not claim responsibility and get additional nations looking for them.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
Floating object is "yellow".

Hmmm...maybe it's not the plane, after all.
could be a slide or raft.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
US 7th fleet's twitter account says MH-60 from the USS Pinckney and P-3C Orion based in Kadena, Okinawa reached the search area ~1 hour ago.

https://twitter.com/US7thFleet/statu...70122939494400
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
could be a slide or raft.
Possibly. A plane wouldn't have a raft, though, right?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:00 am
Suspended

If something went wrong and MH370 wasn't the 'target', they might not claim responsibility and get additional nations looking for them.
Sounds like you may be suggesting that something on the plane was intended to take out a plane departing from China and got a timer or barometer setting off or had an explosive device placed on board that was more unstable than expected.

Given this flight was overwhelmingly Chinese nationals and there are plenty of Chinese airlines flying out of SE Asia that anti-Chinese terrorists could target, I have doubt that anti-Chinese terrorists would disavow responsibility for such MH flight disaster merely because of worry about "additional nations looking for them".
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
Possibly. A plane wouldn't have a raft, though, right?
Wide-body planes used for passenger flights mostly do have rafts that detach from the planes. That's what those slide things may be used for.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: M&M, AAdvantage, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by username
3 - if it is terrorist, why by a ticket all the way to Europe? Why not KUL-PEK-ICN or something?
I am sorry, but that is not a question. The question would be, why he would buy a KUL-PEK-ICN instead of a ticket all the way to Europe?

If you are travelling on an European passport from Malaysia to South Korea you could potentially (and likely) be required to show proof of further departure from South Korea to a country where you can stay as long as you want, whether it is your home country (in this case the European Union) or your country of residence if outside the EU. That could potentially lead to further questioning at the airport in KUL. Bear in mind that South Korean authorities could always refuse entrance to someone with no proof of departure... so in this case Malaysia Airlines should fly back that person from Seoul to Kuala Lumpur.

So the easiest way to avoid any question is to buy a ticket to the EU (Amsterdam is this case), where an Austrian/Italian could legally stay as long a he wishes. I am a EU-passport holder and I have entered Europe through quite a few countries other than mine and I have never ever been questioned of why at my point of departure (which would be as "weird" as someone from California flying from Paris to New York, let's say, and the person at the counter at CDG asking him or her why is flying to NY... as far as it is his country... why should he care?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.