Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Now I'm reading the father of the Italian passport victim says the passport was stolen over a year ago. Don't know what that means in regard to its use.
what it means is that the persons using the stolen Italian and Austrian passports didn't want to use their real identities to purchase the tickets and board the aircraft. Why that is, we don't know yet, but it's safe to say that those two persons must have had a reason for using stolen passports.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Summary:

Posts that go far astray into conspiracy theory or quote unsubstantiated rumors and speculation, that chastise other posters, etc. will continue to be summarily deleted.

/Moderator
Very much appreciated !
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iquitos
If security means anything knowing who is on your airplane is basic. I doubt there is much tolerance for faked documents anymore anywhere. The circumstances of the loss or theft will come under scrutiny as will how these docs got past immigration and airline checks. These docs would have to be photsubbed. You can be sure the USG looks carefully at each document which is why you have to give it up well in advance of flying. Looks like those two were issued on China Southern stock.
Photo-substitution isn't a general requirement for a stolen/sold passport to be fraudulently used by someone beside the person to whom it was issued.

I'd rather have security screeners focus on contraband WEI interdiction than have them waste time doing passenger name/ID/boarding pass checks. "Mickey Mouse" or "Hello Kitty" on my plane? How nice.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:30 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by chongcao
LINK

China Southern published a microblog confirmed 7 passengers' nationality who have booked under CZ stock tickets at 16:08 Beijing Time on 8th march 2014.

It states:

Translation:

Malaysian Airlines MH370, which went missing today, is a codeshare flight between Malaysian Airlines and China Southern, operated by Malaysian Airlines. It is estimated that 7 passengers are booked under China Southern code, includes 1 Chinese passenger, 2 Ukraine passengers, 1 Austrian passenger, 1 Italian, 1 Dutch and 1 Malaysian. We are still working on verifying extra information available. After this incident, China Southern has initiated crisis procedures, and have asked information from Malaysian Airlines at the first times. We will assist Malaysian Airlines in regarding to these seven passengers.

Sorry for the not-so-clear translation. For those interested, you may find the link of this China Southern Microblog on their official microblog site: LINK

The link to Microblog could also found in China Southern website . it is in the right hand side to the PNR sign and Email sign.
Thanks for posting. Seems innteresting that potentially the people with the stolen passports were booked on the codeshare. i guess there will be intense scrutiny at the moment.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Requiring passports does not mean they check even most of them against the Interpol databases. Often in the cases where stolen/sold passports are used for international travel by air, the passenger fraudulently using such real passports has a valid passport for himself/herself too and shows one passport at some points in time and the other passport at other points in time during the course of travel. This is quite "standard" practice for people who are intent upon violating immigration laws and yet choose to travel internationally by air on common carriers.
Originally Posted by iquitos
If security means anything knowing who is on your airplane is basic. I doubt there is much tolerance for faked documents anymore anywhere. The circumstances of the loss or theft will come under scrutiny as will how these docs got past immigration and airline checks. These docs would have to be photsubbed. You can be sure the USG looks carefully at each document which is why you have to give it up well in advance of flying. Looks like those two were issued on China Southern stock.
Given all the "security theater" we have to put up with at the airport (and this includes Malaysia -- see my earlier reference to being fingerprinted and photographed) I would find it shocking that you could get on a plane with a passport that was stolen 2 years ago. I mean, MH had that number in their rez system. Are you telling me the computers don't run that through any database? And that swipe they do at immigration is just for show? Within 12 hours of the crash, the media already knew there were 2 people on board with stolen passports. This is crazy. And a bit scary. In this day and age, it's kind of important to know who is actually on a plane, and make sure they're not up to no good.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by largeeyes
Pretty sure you are confusing the term residence and citizenship.
I'm pretty sure I know the difference between residence and citizenship -- especially as someone with resident status in more countries than I have citizenship -- and am not confusing the terms.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Somewhat technical question. Anyone know the depth of the sea in the area of the crash? And how deep can the black boxes be and still be able to pick up the pinging from the transmitters? How close do you have to be to pick up the signal? I'm wondering why there are no reports of any signals at all?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Originally Posted by chollie
There's no evidence that these pax were 'routinely flying' on these two passports. This may have been the first time the passports were used on a flight -or the first time they were used on an international flight.

If the passport checks were so effective and foolproof, people wouldn't keep stealing passports.
Or selling passports. Actually, they have other uses than travel. I think the odds of getting caught on frequent international use are pretty good. If they were in the database it is a real fail. Maybe they don't check third country travel. Do the Chinese require and advance manifest?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
So it had to be something like that I'd assume. And what "imploding DC-10s" are you referring to?
Back in the 70's when the DC-10 was new a design flaw where the rear cargo door could be closed but not properly secured which resulted in 2 mid-air decompressions and massive structural failure. In both cases, hydraulic control systems were severed when the door failed causing loss of control.

The first instance was an AA flight where the pilots were able to recover and land safely. A few years later a Turkish Air flight crashed over France. The controversy was that the manufacturer knew about the design problem but McDonnell-Douglas failed to install the proper safety latches.

*Edit* There were also several incidents involving engine failures including the famous UA232 crash in Sioux City in 1989. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-10

Last edited by mrswirl; Mar 8, 2014 at 10:46 am
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:37 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Somewhat technical question. Anyone know the depth of the sea in the area of the crash? And how deep can the black boxes be and still be able to pick up the pinging from the transmitters? How close do you have to be to pick up the signal? I'm wondering why there are no reports of any signals at all?
Someone mentioned this upthread... the Gulf of Thailand is pretty shallow.

The Gulf of Thailand is relatively shallow: its mean depth is 45 m, and the maximum depth only 80 m.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Thailand
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
Given all the "security theater" we have to put up with at the airport (and this includes Malaysia -- see my earlier reference to being fingerprinted and photographed) I would find it shocking that you could get on a plane with a passport that was stolen 2 years ago. I mean, MH had that number in their rez system. Are you telling me the computers don't run that through any database? And that swipe they do at immigration is just for show? Within 12 hours of the crash, the media already knew there were 2 people on board with stolen passports. This is crazy. And a bit scary. In this day and age, it's kind of important to know who is actually on a plane, and make sure they're not up to no good.
People still board even US and EU airlines with passports that were reported lost/stolen 1, 2, 3, 5, or even more years ago. Some of that even takes place by accident, as in a person having reported their own passport lost/stolen and then using it after having found it again.

I don't see what is so scary about this. As long as the passengers on my planes don't have contraband WEIs, they could fly on my planes as Mickey Mouse or Hello Kitty and it's fine by me.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Originally Posted by iahphx
Think the Israeli hit team in Dubai some on assumed real identities. The whole thing was exposed by FR and photos of the squad. The US requires a great deal of data about incoming passengers and runs it against who knows how many databases. http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ish-identities

Last edited by iquitos; Mar 8, 2014 at 10:45 am Reason: added link
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by swy
Someone mentioned this upthread... the Gulf of Thailand is pretty shallow.
Shouldn't be too difficult to get to the black box .. if it's there.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm pretty sure I know the difference between residence and citizenship -- especially as someone with resident status in more countries than I have citizenship -- and am not confusing the terms.
Ok, that makes even less sense.

Although, I guess technically I am the same if we are playing word games.

It is not like the denial of dual citizenship is unusual.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:41 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Unless the Austrian and Italian Passport holders had a connecting ticket within 72 hours at PEK, they would have required a Chinese Visa. Although as I once did, they are very easy to remove once issued.

By the way I removed mine after I had used it to free up the page again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.