Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by MANman
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/m...ta-says-journa

This is a 15 hour old story, but interesting to read.
How did they make a conclusion that it landed?

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the engine pings?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by xcalibir
You would need a very skilled pilot to do that. It would have to be right under a plane or over a plane. How would that plane not detect you though?

Everything would need to be planned just right.

Sounds like it is from a movie!
Hence the flight sim at home? I really do hope people are still alive somewhere.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by alanstarr
We can already surmise right now that the pilot who was in charge of this plane was very skilled and planned well. It wouldn't be impossible to pull off though.

If you go under the plane (by a few thousand feet), the plane above would not be able to see I think.

Yeah, very movie-ish, but then everything else already is on that level.
No but that plane's radar would be able to see you approach them.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Just waking up ( PST) and have finished the dozen or so pages I missed since I went to bed last night. Fascinating reading. I learned two things this morning:

1. The mystery continues.

2. I miss too much and it takes a long time to catch up if I try to get some sleep.

Question: Are there any viable airstrips on the Andaman Islands that could take a 777?

Last edited by david55; Mar 14, 2014 at 7:24 am
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:15 am

No but that plane's radar would be able to see you approach them.
Plane has no radar. Only radar on board is weather radar.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:16 am

Here is the approximate location of the Indian SAR area overlayed on the estimated flight path and radar locations:
http://i.imgur.com/ioT6aLN.jpg
It seems odd to base their SAR to the South East of the last known position, especially considering it was based on 'fairly specific co-ordinates'.
Any plans from India to change their search area?
Also credit goes to user alanstarr for the basemap.

Last edited by Nrg800; Mar 14, 2014 at 7:31 am Reason: cleaned up the map a bit
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:16 am

Plane has no radar. Only radar on board is weather radar.
Planes wouldn't be able to see another plane coming on radar?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Nrg800
Here is the approximate location of the Indian SAR area overlayed on the estimated flight path and radar locations:
http://i.imgur.com/koFVIg1.jpg
It seems odd to base their SAR to the South East of the last known position, especially considering it was based on 'fairly specific co-ordinates'.
Any plans from India to change their search area?
Also credit goes to user alanstarr for the basemap.
That search area seems "too near" if the plane did carry on for another 4 hours.

I don't believe so. They would need to visually see this.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
That is correct. Modern airliners are generally fitted with TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System) to "see" other aircraft . However, it needs an active transponder to work. It's similar to ADS-B which has been discussed numerous times upthread!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by ObscuredByClouds
A Transponder doesn't quite work like that. You are given a discrete code by ATC and their computer identifies your flight nbr and AC type/equipment based on what has been filed in your flight plan.
One does not exactly steal a B777 like one steals a car... What I fear, IF the conspiracy theory proves right, is that several pilots or ATC people from different areas might be involved. Planning, time and money can provide sophisticated logistics. This could become a real headache
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: FB Gold
How did they make a conclusion that it landed?

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the engine pings?
Since confirmed - they were not engine pings, but satellite modem pings.

Up thread we assumed that they had used different satellite receivers to triangulate the readings and get location and altitude data.

As to the landing conjecture, not even the unofficial sources are saying, but I guess they inferred it from the time, altitude and distance traveled information.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
One does not exactly steal a B777 like one steals a car... What I fear, IF the conspiracy theory proves right, is that several pilots or ATC people from different areas might be involved. Planning, time and money can provide sophisticated logistics. This could become a real headache
Too big a risk. Something will surely get out. My hunch is that on the flight portion, the captain worked solo. He probably did get help at the place the plane landed though, if it did in fact land that is.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Andaman timezone is UTC+5.30. Dawn is currently 5.26am local = 7.56am Malaysian time. Takeoff of MH370 from KL was 00.41am local.

In other words, with 7.5+ hours of fuel onboard, the plane might have reached the islands as it was getting light. Anywhere suitable with a 2-mile beach?

(speculative I know, but don't think anyone has considered a daylight landing as possible yet)
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by MANman
would a plane crashing into water cause a "seismic event"?
Surely the water will cushion the blow.
Even if the plane makes the hardest vertical drop belly flop landing it would only make a big splash, surely not detectable.
It occurs to me that the plane could have hit the water at an angle and ploughed to the bottom intact and with sufficient force to bury it (at least partially) in the seabed. This would explain the lack of debris and the seismic reports.

Howver I doubt this is possible. I should think it would require the aircraft to be moving so fast that it would have come apart on hitting the sea. And the seabed would have to be very soft to absorb the plane.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:30 am

Too big a risk. Something will surely get out. My hunch is that on the flight portion, the captain worked solo. He probably did get help at the place the plane landed though, if it did in fact land that is.
That doesn't really make sense. What would he do with the passengers? kill them all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.