Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
OK, assume that all pax and cabin crew knew. They couldn't have done anything with that knowledge.
Yeah, this is getting weird and I hate myself for even asking this question to fuel baseless speculation. But is there a way for the captain to create a hypoxic condition, disabling everyone on board while comfortably wearing his oxygen mask?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:29 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by alanstarr
I wouldn't dare guessing. But it is the most credible speculation (if there is such a thing) at this point in time.

Plus, if they were planning on intentionally crashing this somewhere in the world soon, they wouldn't care less about warranties and the likes of it.
Thanks. I understand your point.

It would make a heck of a story if the plane is hiding under a tarp somewhere.

Diego Garcia has a landing strip of 3600m should be enough for a 777? (Removed conjecture)

Last edited by AMRivlin; Mar 13, 2014 at 12:34 am Reason: removed unnecessary speculation
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:35 am

I assume this has already been covered but the "slow leak" theory is gaining steam on Twitter: http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-...viral-20140312
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by mattking2000
Wasn't it stated somewhere upthread that if you're flying at levels undetectable by radar, you burn through the fuel a lot faster? Wouldn't this narrow the area down (somewhat)?
Originally Posted by aviator8
This is true, Jets use less fuel over a given distance at higher altitude. Mianly because air is thinner at altitude equating to less drag, and air is cooler at altitude and jets operate more efficiently with cool air.
I would think a plane at lower elevation would also have a slower max speed due to atmospheric friction.

Originally Posted by AMRivlin

Can Diego Garcia land a 777? (Removed conjecture)
I think the US/UK have sufficient 777s and no need to purloin one.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by AMRivlin

Diego Garcia has a landing strip of 3600m should be enough for a 777? (Removed conjecture)
Diego Garcia is designed to take B-52s/B-1s and if it can take those, then dollars to doughnuts it can take a 777.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Yeah, this is getting weird and I hate myself for even asking this question to fuel baseless speculation. But is there a way for the captain to create a hypoxic condition, disabling everyone on board while comfortably wearing his oxygen mask?
It is possible on some types (I have flown) but I don't know about the 777. I would think it is possible, to vent noxious fumes from the main cabin etc.

However, I would also think that for a manual cabin depressurisation, that pax oxygen would automatically deploy.

I'll just watch and wait.......
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Question in the light of new WSJ information: is it possible 777 to land somewhere and not been noticed?

Look at the map - you can reach with the plane anywhere from India to Australia. Setting conspiracy theories aside, let imagine that no state is involved in this affair.

Question comes: where/what are available landing options without getting on radar?

Last edited by invisible; Mar 13, 2014 at 12:46 am
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mattiace
I assume this has already been covered but the "slow leak" theory is gaining steam on Twitter: http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-...viral-20140312
Of course, that would depend on MH not following Boeing's Airworthiness Directive note on that part of the aircraft. In Yesterday morning's press conference, MH CEO claimed all 777s had been corrected to meet the AD note.

Just because someone "considered studying Aerospace engineering" and attended a 787 rollout doesn't mean this is an aviation expert.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We're sticking with what the wiki directs on acceptable posting.

Unacceptable posts are summarily deleted. These include varied criticisms of SAR and government agencies, completely unsubstantiated / implausible rumors and conspiracies, previously disproved theories and incidents (including air to air communication after the last radar coverage, cellular contact with someone, etc. etc.)

PLEASE read the wikipost at the top of every page BEFORE you post something that was reported hours or days ago and disproved.

JDiver, on behalf of the moderator team.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Question in the light of new WSJ information: is it possible 777 to land somewhere and not been noticed?

Look at the map - you can reach with the plane anywhere from India to Australia. Setting conspiracy theories aside, let imagine that no state is involved in this affair.

Question comes: where/what are available landing options without getting on radar?
At this point in this, I think I'm inclined to believe the plane took a turn westwards at the last point of detection en route to Beijing (both Vietnam ATC and Malaysian military radar theoracise this).

From here on, they flew straight, being detected 200NM NW off Penang, then straight again towards the Indian Ocean. The Indian ocean, like the Pacific, has many small isolated islands. Assuming someone has been quietly constructing a makeshift landing strip on one of them, the plane could have gone there. Or it could also have gone to some rouge military outpost on some island.

Man this is getting over my head.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Anyone know who leases the 777s to MH? The owners would be really mad at a missing asset..
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by invisible

Could North Korea qualify? Seems like the only major hub that would allow a plane to land off the record....
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Guava
Part of me hope this means the plane didn't crash and the pax were somewhere, held against their will but otherwise, unharmed.
+1 However the problem is that most the landing strips within range are not likely to provide shelter to terrorists. Moreover the Chinese and Indian military forces have pretty sophisticated radar tracking (due to ICBM fears) and not a lot of places where a plane could land undetected. I do not think any sane government would engage in such a fantastic plot. That leaves North Korea and Iran, and presumably US military would be tracking anything in those regions. But then again, if you fly overwater under the radar...

It seems more likely the plane was diverted West, and then had a catastrophic event. Alas the Indian Ocean is quite a large area to search.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
It seems more likely the plane was diverted West, and then had a catastrophic event. Alas the Indian Ocean is quite a large area to search.
But - if it had a catastrophic event and RR was receiving information via ACARS unless it was an instantaneous event surely that would be in the ACARS download to RR (instead of just the fact it continued flying for 4 hours)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ericle37
Could North Korea qualify? Seems like the only major hub that would allow a plane to land off the record....
When did N Korea relocate to the Indian Ocean?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.