Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Interesting letter (I have no source whatsoever, could be fabricated)

http://twitpic.com/dy1qmm
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:44 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Latest updates from Aviation Herald

Last updated Wednesday, Mar 12th 2014 08:31 UTC

Early Mar 12th 2014 the commander of Malaysia's Air Force stated, he did not make statements about the aircraft being tracked across Malaysia into the Strait of Malacca. The Air Force does not discount the possibility of an air turn back however, as stated in a press conference on Mar 9th 2014.
On Mar 12th 2014 Vietnam's Search and Rescue Control Center reported that analysis of satellite images of Vietnams coastal regions, capable of showing objects sized 2.5 meters by 2.5 meters, did not detect any signs of the aircraft. Around noon the Control Center reported, that the search operation continues in full like the days before based on official information from Malaysia that the aircraft has not been tracked in the Strait of Malacca. 9 Vietnamese aircraft and 9 Vietname ships plus 14 foreign aircraft and 22 foreign ships are searching Vietnamese waters.
On Mar 12th 2014 officials of Malaysia's Civil Aviation Authority talking to families of occupants of MH-370 in Beijing reported that the aircraft was just in the process of being handed off to Vietnam, the last radio transmission heard from the aircraft was "Okay, good night". The crew did not report on Vietnam's frequency anymore. About three minutes later Vietnam's control center noticed that the aircraft had disappeared from radar and had not reported on his frequency. There had been no emergency or distress calls on any means of communication, although radio coverage of the area is generally good. Malaysia's CAA officials stressed, that they do not have any indication that the aircraft may have turned back or deviated from the planned route. The aircraft "suddenly disappeared". So far the aircraft has not been found although a total of 1788 ships are participating in the search for the aircraft.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Nrg800
I was starting a map of radar coverage in the area and I will upload that on completion later tonight, but for now here's a quick map of the plane's fuel range, with bathymetric data and histogram if anyone finds that interesting. I'll add in a link to a higher res version shortly.
This map of the Andaman Basin may also be of use, now that Malaysia is calling India to join the search...

Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by The Wolf

BBC are now reporting that Vietnamese SAR crews are investigating a report which sounds similar to this.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26527390
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:06 am

If she's down in there chances are she's lost for ever and a lot of people are going to be asked some very difficult questions.

PS: Nice map, where did you find it?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:09 am

They left the poor bugger's email addy and passport number on the email
If it is indeed real I pity the poor guy.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I can never remember in my 50 years of following aviation anything like this happening. I hope they eventially find the aircraft in order to determine what happened. Alot of work ahead in the investigation. Sure keeps the talking heads busy on alot of speculation.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: Krisflyer

Interesting if true. Vung Tau is in Southern Vietnam. It is an oil city. Plenty of rigs there. Songa Mercur is a semi-sub and is indeed in Vietnam according to Rigzone:

http://www.rigzone.com/data/offshore...S/Songa_Mercur
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by trailboss99
If she's down in there chances are she's lost for ever and a lot of people are going to be asked some very difficult questions.

PS: Nice map, where did you find it?
Here is the full path to it but this morning the site wouldn't open, so I uploaded it to online hosting (had a precog instinct to save it on desktop last night ).
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: FB Gold
Today a new detail - the last communication was saying goodbye to Malaysian ATC, but it never said hello to Vietnamese ATC. Furthermore the last ATC Radar contact was at that handover area. After that nothing, except a possible Malay Military radar contact.
So at that handover point the plane stopped all radio comms and stopped all transponder signals.
We don't know about ACARS aircraft maintenance signals because cryptically they are not telling us, but if they did have ACARS data they would know the plane's later movements, and it is clear that they do not. Therefore we can assume the ACARS went offline at the same time.
So it could have been an accident - e.g. cockpit fire - or a deliberate switch off. Were it to have been deliberate then switching off at the handover point would have been the perfect place, because in the confusion of handover no one was suspecting anything for an hour or so.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Originally Posted by AvHerald
although radio coverage of the area is generally good
First I've heard of this. I suspected as much (I didn't think it was far enough out to sea to be beyond VHF range), but all the talk earlier about using HF in this region had me convinced otherwise.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:49 am

So are there no Vietnamese military Radar records?
Or was the plane too far away for that?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Aviation Herald update

An editorial note added to Aviation Herald on Wednesday, Mar 12th 2014 09:22 UTC.

Editorial note on Mar 12th 2014: On Mar 10th Malaysia expanded the search area into the Strait of Malacca assigning substantial forces to that large search area (much larger than the search area in the Gulf of Thailand with a radius of 100nm around the last known secondary radar position east of Malaysia). It remains unclear why this has been done given the Mar 12th denials of reports of Mar 11th that the aircraft may have been tracked by primary radar into the Strait of Malacca explaining that widened search. It also remains unclear why on Mar 12th the search is now moving northwest into the Andaman Sea west of Malaysia, especially when there are/were no indications of the aircraft turning back as Malaysia officials told families in Beijing on Mar 12th.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:58 am

Malaysia air force chief says missing jet was possibly last detected 200 miles northwest of Malaysia's Penang island - @ReutersIndia
By my quick fiddling around with a map, that would seem to suggest a position roughly 50-75 miles due south of Phuket in Thailand. Surely that would still be within range of Thai radar, assuming there was one operating in that area at that hour.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
An editorial note added to Aviation Herald on Wednesday, Mar 12th 2014 09:22 UTC.
A very eloquent reporting of the contradictory pronouncements and actions. AH is a true journal of record.
And we can all read between the lines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.