Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by JackTripper
Originally posted by beowl. I'd add it to the Wikipost but I don't have access.
without taking into account headwind or distance traveled from KUL to 180 turn, i calculate thats a potential search area of 20 million square miles.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Originally Posted by Rifleman69
China may have found something? Anyone translate Chinese to find out what is being written along with the photos?

http://www.mod.gov.cn/hdpic/2014-03/...nt_4496593.htm
Nothing interesting. More propaganda than news.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by coastalguy
and ignoring the fact that one of the transoceanic flights is OZ101 (ICN-SFO) on a 77L.
Again, 777 has a stellar safety record, so I'd repeat the poster who noted that the most dangerous part of your journey will be going to/from the airport @:-)

And I'll now repeat myself, I'm not a Boeing cheerleader @:-)

Enjoy your trip
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by cjphilly
Thanks, I somehow missed this. Scary to think how much area that covers if the plane did in fact manage to fly until it ran out of fuel
But is that even possible? For it to fly that far with NO radar hits?
Esp the areas over land - you would think somewhere along the line, someone would take notice of a large aircraft incoming. With no apparent communications, etc. In this day & age of heightened security...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by cjphilly
I didn't see this posted yet, but it would explain why Boeing has nothing to say on the matter:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...jets-data.html
Interesting article. Turns out 75% of 777s are equipped with the Airplane Health Data system which automatically sends information to Boeing by satellite about the status of systems on the aircraft. I believe this is the system which was so helpful in the AF case. Neither Boeing or MH would comment on MH's participation in this program. Nice to know that 75% of 777s DO have access to this information, however.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:29 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
We're flying a number of transoceanic flights over the next four weeks and while I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad anxious, the reality is that you just NEVER know when your time is going to be up. In that spirit, we're focusing on the excitement of our mini-RTW vacation and ignoring the fact that one of the transoceanic flights is OZ101 (ICN-SFO) on a 77L.
I'd be more nervous about the drive over to PDX. My taxi almost ate it last month at one of the merges after Morrison Bridge-I-84 at night.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by JackTripper
Originally posted by beowl. I'd add it to the Wikipost but I don't have access.

Why are there 2 circles? What do the different circles represent?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by kingsroadgal
Interesting article. Turns out 75% of 777s are equipped with the Airplane Health Data system which automatically sends information to Boeing by satellite about the status of systems on the aircraft. I believe this is the system which was so helpful in the AF case. Neither Boeing or MH would comment on MH's participation in this program. Nice to know that 75% of 777s DO have access to this information, however.
I assume you mean the airbus version
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by swag
1st represents radial measure from KUL to PEK, the 2nd concentric circle represents the maximum range given the amount of fuel in the tanks.

Airplanes take on more fuel than required to fly a given route, but often not much more to avoid taking on unnecessary weight.

Last edited by sriegert; Mar 11, 2014 at 10:37 pm Reason: clarify fuel component of range
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
I'm assuming we don't know how exactly much fuel was on board the aircraft (but if someone does - please post it!), so the light circle is the distance we know it could have reached (it had to get to PEK, after all.) The shaded circle is probably a reasonable distance beyond the radius of PEK (since aircraft are loaded with extra contingency fuel in case of holds, weather, diversion, etc.)
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:38 pm

In case anyone else was wondering, it seems Malaysia Airlines does *not* offer inflight Internet/WiFi but does offer a micro-GSM service for passenger comms (via satellite) so voice, email, SMS, and some internet browsing is possible.

I wonder if OnAir registered any data traffic through its satellites from that a/c? And, more importantly, when did it stop?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:39 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Unfortunately there are two caveats.

From upthread:
Originally Posted by trailboss99
Yes, but were they equipped with the VHF version or the Satellite version? if the former it could well have been yelling it's head off with no one to hear it scream (so to speak). Same goes for the ADS-B, sat or VHF? The sat versions of both should have been mandatory a long, long time ago.
Also upthread, someone had posted that these systems don't necessarily send data continuously - some send it just 4 times (take off, cruising, preparing for landing, descending - or something.)

Ideally there's a continuous system (minute interval), or a fault triggered system, with satellite.

But Profit=Revenue-Cost.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:46 pm

Also this map is 'worst case scenario' and doesn't take into account fuel dumping, which if there was any kind of emergency the crew most likely did. @:-)

so, searching in the far reaches of this area would presume there was no emergency
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:50 pm

Per Reuters, Malaysia Air did not install the Airplane Health System.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...40310?irpc=932
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzian

Yes, and not happy about it. We booked our BA flight on a 747 and it has since been replaced with a 777.

We're flying a number of transoceanic flights over the next four weeks and while I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad anxious, the reality is that you just NEVER know when your time is going to be up. In that spirit, we're focusing on the excitement of our mini-RTW vacation and ignoring the fact that one of the transoceanic flights is OZ101 (ICN-SFO) on a 77L.
I would not be concerned about flying on that 77L. The odds of this occurring on a 777 was already low. The odds of this occurring again by the time you get on that plane would be even lower.

When AA1420 crashed in Little Rock, I was scheduled to fly on an AA MD80 from MCO to DFW that Friday. Was I concerned about that flight? No due to the odds of that happening again within a short period of time was very low. What I do recall from that flight was that the captain used the reverse thrusters to leave the gate. I had been flying that route for a month and don't recall leaving the gate without a tow on prior flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.