Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by joejet
As I said when I posted it it looks like 2 ships to me, I guess if digitalgobe still have their sattilite pointed that way it would be easy to take another pic. If nothing is now there then it confirms it was a ship or 2 or even 3.
I doubt even that will be necessary. I imagine that somebody skilled in analysing these images will be able to tell straight away whether it is or isn't the aircraft. They might have access to a higher res version which would help.

Originally Posted by Milestone
Smaller freighter-like ship with big bow wave. Trailing bow waves can be much longer than ship.

I'm really getting annoyed that this tragedy is being turned into the latest internet game and rumors are announced in breathless headlines as Breaking News so a network can grab market share, as they evidently only repeat internet gossip.
Agree. I made some fairly scathing comments about crowd sourcing last night and some of the comments on the CNN page have just confirmed my views. I've no complaint about the guy who flagged the image but some of the readers are 100% certain this is the plane and want every SAR asset dispatched to the spot at once. Some of them will probably continue to insist even if/when the photo is positively identified as not the plane.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Im on Tomnod right now and see a similar image in one of my grid squares but without the clouds and its clearly 2 ships.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by pspercy
.... 0345 in which time zone ?
Good point, I don't know. Tomnod's screen shows the time that the image was taken but doesn't say whether it's local time, GMT, or whatever.

I've taken a look at the scale of the original image and tried to compare the length of the reconstructed/overlaid image of a 777 to what Wiki says is the actual length of a B777-200/ER (209') and they don't seem to match up; the image posted here is too long. However, the image that is posted here does not include a scale indication and might have been resized, so I can't make any definitive statement. If we could get a repost with the scale and overlay that might indicate whether the image can possibly be MH370.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by xcalibir
This theory sounds good but didn't the military say that it was flying well below 10k ft. Wouldn't the pilots eventually wake up from the lack of oxygen?
Waking up from a lack of oxygen is impossible.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:23 pm

I've come across this online. Supposedly the two boats without the clouds. Thoughts?

http://i57.tinypic.com/1zw57l.jpg

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 16, 2014 at 8:51 am Reason: left link to overly large image
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by shootingrubber
I've come across this online. Supposedly the two boats without the clouds. Thoughts?

Looks to me like two boats....felt the same in the earlier pic with clouds as well.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:29 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Ditto - two boats
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by CBear
Waking up from a lack of oxygen is impossible.
I suspect the poster meant recovering from hypoxia - and the answer is yes. If you give a hypoxic person oxygen they will recover but their recovery will be limited if they've been oxygen deprived for long enough to sustain brain damage. Whether they'd recover sufficiently in time to rescue the plane is another matter altogether.

Originally Posted by shootingrubber
If that's what it is claiming to be it's definitely two boats. Looks like it could be the same two, the left hand one has that blobby feature which some have interpreted as the plane's engine and the right hand one looks similar to the one in the other image.

ETA: Maybe a large commercial trawler and a fishing factory ship?

Last edited by exilencfc; Mar 11, 2014 at 6:48 pm
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
Im on Tomnod right now and see a similar image in one of my grid squares but without the clouds and its clearly 2 ships.
Yeah, me too:

Whatever they are doing, it looks exactly the same (Right scale too for the larger vessel, just over 60m)

tomnot map location:
http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/...2014/map/24080
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Skywards
i just came across an oil platform (map: 23516) and it's pretty clearly visible... so from that standpoint I wouldn't discredit tomnods capabilities too much. would be nice to know where I'm actually searching in relativity to the flight path etc... but it can't hurt looking at a few tiles for a bit
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Okay, I have no technical knowledge at all, which is why I am asking, but if this Tomnod has these satellite images from every few hours, why do we not have the ability to look when the plane was flying and follow it from previous satellite images?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
Okay, I have no technical knowledge at all, which is why I am asking, but if this Tomnod has these satellite images from every few hours, why do we not have the ability to look when the plane was flying and follow it from previous satellite images?
Satellites can be fixed or orbiting; they are also dedicated to various uses. A geosynchronous (fixed location over the earth) might be a communications satellite with no ability to surveil; a satellite used for reconnaissance might be in an orbit that wouldn't even allow observation of this area - some are repositionable, but for a limited number of times, and even then must be in position or transiting overhead in orbit at the same moment the aircraft flies below it - not very likely without a lot of advance planning and calculation, etc.

The there is the issue of a dark moonless night... so we had no ability to "see" when the plane was flying. And the radar information is incomplete and conflictual at best.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by br0snic
i just came across an oil platform (map: 23516) and it's pretty clearly visible... so from that standpoint I wouldn't discredit tomnods capabilities too much. would be nice to know where I'm actually searching in relativity to the flight path etc... but it can't hurt looking at a few tiles for a bit
Nice. I agree. I'm just watching tv. So why not scan and tag some stuff that looks out of place in water and white caps.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:06 pm

Thoughts and prayers for MH370 and related family and friends.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 11, 2014 at 7:36 pm Reason: Removed material that could be interpreted as politicized
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:06 pm

The Thales GM 400 radar as used by the Malaysian military has a range of 390km.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_Master_400

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.