Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by JDiver
The 777 is still one of the safest aircraft in the air, statistically. One loss (no deaths) was due to now-addressed BA, Rolls Royce engine heat exchangers, another (OZ) apparently caused mainly by "human factors". The third, well, that's this one, and we really don't know anything about cause of loss.
One more: EgyptAir 667.

Granted, it was on the ground, but it was still a hull loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_..._and_accidents
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Pretty good summary of the airworthiness directive issue in feb in relation to the crash.

"There would have been an explosive loss of pressure at 35,000ft when the SATCOM antenna array disintegrated. The pilots, while disoriented would have done two things, try to take the plane down to below 30,000 feet and try to turn around to the nearest airport for an emergency landing. This is corroborated by the turnaround statement that was tracked by the Military Radar. This also explains why sites like FlightRadar24 and Flightaware lost the flight at the Igari checkpoint. ADS-B isn’t able to track aircraft flying below 30,000ft, but the plane still would have appeared on DCA and Military radar.

Now, the explosion would have taken out the entire SATCOM antenna array, so if the pilots did indeed try to send out a distress call over their normal communications channels, it would not have gone through. However they might not have been aware that their SATCOM antenna array is gone. There could have switched to other communication channels (VHF etc), but they might have been either disoriented, or they just felt that all communications were down. Its hard to speculate their condition and if they were able to get their oxygen masks on in time. Hypoxia (due to the lack of oxygen) can set in very fast, impair cognitive functioning of the brain and incapacitate a person in a short amount of time. Passenger oxygen masks on the 777 do not deploy until cabin altitude exceeds approximately 13,500, and passengers were likely unconscious by that time if it was a slow decompression."

basically, the argument is that the SATCOM antenna adapter plate experienced corrosion and possible cracking, leading to an eventual decompression event, which while not catastrophic, nonetheless resulted in the loss of communication. the pilots turned back, unable to communicate with ATC, and either blacked out do to hypoxia or something else. pretty convincing IMO

http://www.lowyat.net/2014/03/was-th...-200-aircraft/

Last edited by sriegert; Mar 11, 2014 at 5:08 pm Reason: added quotation
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:54 pm

If the aircraft turned west and flew across Malaysia, is it plausible that the aircraft continued heading west at 30,000 feet across the Indian Ocean? It had enough fuel to reach China, and Sri Lanka is 1,000 miles closer. Just seems odd that the 777 climbed to cruise altitude, made a left turn, descended approx. 1000 feet (per Malaysian military) and made what appears to be a straight line west.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Anyone flying on a long haul 777 over the waters soon?
I flew a 777-300 from BKK to HKG and a 777-300ER from HKG to LAX yesterday. Felt more safe on those planes than I did on the car ride from LAX to home.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by david4455
I just came back onto FT to post the same.... it is getting a lot of talk over at another forum. Some are saying it looks a lot like a ship with a possible refuel ship by it's side.....very mysterious.
That's my read - one large cargo ship, with a smaller ship alongside - replenishment, pirates, drug smugglers, human traffickers? Dunno, wonder if AIS historical data can be used to identify?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pspercy
Look at the URL, it's image #6060, Digital Globe will know where it is.
I can't access that site at present, it's frozen up !

This is the link from the CNN piece:
http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/...r2014/map/6060
I managed to access it and tried to make a couple of screen shots, here is a zoom:

(Click to enlarge)

And the normal view is here

Unfortunetly this looks more like 2 boats to me...

(Other than that, Tomnod is working a lot better here tonight, I am using Chrome and it is fluid, not like yesterday where it was taking minutes to load a square)
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:13 pm

I've finally managed to get on Tomnod but the images displayed were taken at around 3 am and I doubt that there would be much to see in the open ocean at that time of day. I didn't see any way to load images taken during actual daylight hours, is it possible to do so?

Last edited by uszkanni; Mar 11, 2014 at 5:19 pm
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:17 pm

I've been following this story with interest and what is confusing me is the point of 'lost contact'. It was initially reported at 2:40am, but then that was changed to 1:30am (with the 2:40am being the time at which ATC reported it to the airline).

The new rumour seems to be that contact really was lost at 2:40 as originally reported (but in a completely different place). Was this new rumour made to 'fit' the original report?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by marble
I've been following this story with interest and what is confusing me is the point of 'lost contact'. It was initially reported at 2:40am, but then that was changed to 1:30am (with the 2:40am being the time at which ATC reported it to the airline).

The new rumour seems to be that contact really was lost at 2:40 as originally reported (but in a completely different place). Was this new rumour made to 'fit' the original report?
There's a 1 hour timezone change between Malaysia and the last know contact area of the a/c which happened to be around Vietnam so that might be the confusing part.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by AardvarkSweeperguy
Here's a straight-line path between the turn-around point (0130) and the lost contact over Pulau Perak (0240) overlaid on an aeronautical chart:

http://skyvector.com/?ll=6.422300071...5.6806,98.9408

Now, there's nothing to show this is the path the plane took, but just connecting the dots and following the assumption that the pilots may have not had control of the plane after the turn, it's interesting to note that the plane is not on an air route.
I was thinking the same as you. If you follow that path and continue you end up way outside of even the 'new' search area.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 11, 2014 at 5:50 pm
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:34 pm

It does look like 2 ships 2 me but saw this gif that's as posted on the cnn comments

As per cnn post by tll74

I made an animated gif with an overlay of an intact 777: cmd0.com/images/plane.gif
Report violation

Last edited by joejet; Mar 11, 2014 at 5:40 pm Reason: Added cnn posters name and comment
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by sriegert
Pretty good summary of the airworthiness directive issue in feb in relation to the crash.

"There would have been an explosive loss of pressure at 35,000ft when the SATCOM antenna array disintegrated. The pilots, while disoriented would have done two things, try to take the plane down to below 30,000 feet and try to turn around to the nearest airport for an emergency landing. This is corroborated by the turnaround statement that was tracked by the Military Radar. This also explains why sites like FlightRadar24 and Flightaware lost the flight at the Igari checkpoint. ADS-B isn’t able to track aircraft flying below 30,000ft, but the plane still would have appeared on DCA and Military radar.

Now, the explosion would have taken out the entire SATCOM antenna array, so if the pilots did indeed try to send out a distress call over their normal communications channels, it would not have gone through. However they might not have been aware that their SATCOM antenna array is gone. There could have switched to other communication channels (VHF etc), but they might have been either disoriented, or they just felt that all communications were down. Its hard to speculate their condition and if they were able to get their oxygen masks on in time. Hypoxia (due to the lack of oxygen) can set in very fast, impair cognitive functioning of the brain and incapacitate a person in a short amount of time. Passenger oxygen masks on the 777 do not deploy until cabin altitude exceeds approximately 13,500, and passengers were likely unconscious by that time if it was a slow decompression."

basically, the argument is that the SATCOM antenna adapter plate experienced corrosion and possible cracking, leading to an eventual decompression event, which while not catastrophic, nonetheless resulted in the loss of communication. the pilots turned back, unable to communicate with ATC, and either blacked out do to hypoxia or something else. pretty convincing IMO

http://www.lowyat.net/2014/03/was-th...-200-aircraft/
This theory sounds good but didn't the military say that it was flying well below 10k ft. Wouldn't the pilots eventually wake up from the lack of oxygen?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by joejet
It does look like 2 ships 2 me but saw this gif that's as posted on the cnn comments

As per cnn post by tll74

I made an animated gif with an overlay of an intact 777: cmd0.com/images/plane.gif
Report violation
If the plane is in one piece like that (or mostly one piece), does that give anyone a hint into what happened?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by xcalibir
This theory sounds good but didn't the military say that it was flying well below 10k ft. Wouldn't the pilots eventually wake up from the lack of oxygen?
Let's be clear here - it's not actually confirmed that the military saw them flying West, across the peninsula, in the Andaman sea, or that they saw them deviate altitude.

Most relevant new story, which does NOT rely upon dodgy unnamed sources or reports from the now discredited local Malaysian rag, Berita Harian
http://online.wsj.com/news/article_e...MDEwMTExNDEyWj

*this source is by some of the best reporters on the crisis, which I trust more than second hand accounts in Reuters or CNN

A senior Malaysian air force official on Tuesday rejected local-media reports that military radar had picked up signals from the jet over the Strait of Malacca. The official said the plane dropped off radar midway between Vietnamese and Malaysian airspace as it was apparently turning back from its original course.

The official said that searches near the strait, which is much farther west, were mostly precautionary.
Amazing how a poorly sourced rumour can bounce around the internet like lightening.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Thanks for the larger image Ikaz, it does look more plane like in that one. I still don't think it is one but certainly worth further investigation.

To me it looks like a small ship (left hand side) close alongside a larger vessel which is underway - the pointy white bit is its bow wave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.