Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by sriegert
pilots often pull fuses to cut warning alarms, etc. (Northwest 255)

Is it possible to pull fuses which would prevent serious warnings from going off?=
Apparently the pilot can even pull the fuse on the cockpit voice recorder!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilkAir_Flight_185
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by MANman
Yes, but doesn't it show that they allowed an un-identified large plane to enter their airspace, cross their country and leave unchallenged... perhaps even unseen and they only spotted it looking back at tape records.
It quite likely wasn't unidentified. Planes are constantly sending out their identity but not AFAIK their flight plans. So it probably appeared to anyone who was watching as just another airliner nothing unusual. If it wasn't flying in a threatening direction or ignoring communications there wasn't any reason to be worried about it. AFAIK anyway, i'm by no means expert and some imput from somebody more knowledgeable would be valuable.

Originally Posted by sriegert
pilots often pull fuses to cut warning alarms, etc. (Northwest 255)

Is it possible to pull fuses which would prevent serious warnings from going off?=
The problem with hypoxia is that it impairs decision making and reaction times. If the pilots were already hypoxic when warnings started sounding they may not have reacted correctly. That said, surely hypoxic conditions on the flight deck is a fault ACARS should report and apparently no faults were reported.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Reason077
This is exactly what ADS-B already does, and all modern airliners are equipped with it.
Yeah well that worked, didn't it?

The problem there is it relies on too many separate systems, A GPS, the transponder unit and a transmitter as well as a power supply and antenna unit. All these are then joined with a lot of wiring. That's a lot to go wrong. I'm proposing a small, light (less than 2kg) self contained system with inbuilt battery backup much like an EPIRB. Regardless of what goes wrong this will keep working as long as the airframe is in more or less in one piece.

At any rate the requirement for ADS-B should be satlink. The reliance on VHF in a modern heavy in this day and age is silly. Even shipping uses satphone over conventional radio now. A lot of them have the equivalent of live black box reporting as well.

As for the expense I simply do not consider it at all acceptable that in this day and age we don't know the whereabouts of a 250 million dollar piece of equipment with up to 500 souls on board at every given moment. Do you?

Now, back to our regular programing . . .

Originally Posted by dantorsiello
I'm curious as to what the shipping lanes are in that region, how frequently they're traversed, etc. I'd imagine it's a heavily used region considering the manufacturing in SE Asia and could provide additional SAR opportunities.
Some of the heaviest used in the world mate and I'm sure each and every one of them is looking. The straits of Malacca in particular are an oceanic highway.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The performance of various Malay Govt agencies and departments have been very banana republic like. Seems as if the military is not talking to civil aviation authority and the police are perusing its own conspiracy theories even before the wreckage is found. Add to the whole passport fiasco and general cluelessness of some officials during press conference, it has not look good for Malaysia in front of world media.

And still, MH has not released cargo manifest almost 6 days after the disappearance. I asked about the cargo manifest as soon as the passenger list was released... It should be available to the media. What are they hiding?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Latest VN leading news' headline (translated) on the web: "TTO - On 10-3, military officials said they believe that Malaysia has tracked the aircraft on radar to the Strait of Malacca, a great distance from the aircraft position last contact with the the civilian air traffic control off the east coast of the country."

Unbelieveable with latest news relevation from Malay military that MH370 disappear from commercial radar track and continue to flew after turning, changed attitude & continue somehow for 1+ hours and way off-course, then disappeared ??? The Air Force General said it before, there are some things we can tell or share with you and some that we cannot disclose ...

So MH370 possibly never entered Vietnam airspace or FIR as that government maintained and yet has been the focal point for much of SAR, relying on datapoints & information from Malay authorities and alleged sightings.

If it was Malacca Strait - very disturbing as it could have - with estimated fuel onboard - flown for several more hours. No known attempts made to contact or intercept the "silent" plane - raised more questions than answers, like radar sources from Indonesia and Thailand ?? English skills being the least of the problem here !

One might as well do SAR in the Bay of Bengal as it could've flown across toward India over that big wide body of water. Draw a 6+ hour radius, that plane could be anywhere in that vast region - yet, the main search grid is 100 nm and the Strait of Malacca. Hmmm, I think once the latest news is verified, we need a "slight" game-changing revision to the Wiki.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Mar 11, 2014 at 9:52 am
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by trailboss99
The problem there is it relies on too many separate systems, A GPS, the transponder unit and a transmitter as well as a power supply and antenna unit. All these are then joined with a lot of wiring. That's a lot to go wrong. I'm proposing a small, light (less than 2kg) self contained system with inbuilt battery backup much like an EPIRB. Regardless of what goes wrong this will keep working as long as the airframe is in more or less in one piece.
EPIRBs already report plane location after a set amount of g forces have been recorded. The only case they don't is if the plane ends up in the water, and then no amount of broadcasting will help you.

Planes have many backup electrical systems. Both engines are capable of independently powering coms, then you have battery backup, and failing that you have a RAM air turbine.

So the only way that your solution adds value is if the total electrical system is fried. Hijacking etc. it won't help because, due to fire concerns, all electronics have to allow for the pilot to disable them.

Moreover, your solution also requires a working battery, antenna, wiring, and ground-based infrastructure to receive the signals. It's just a redundant backup of the system already on board.

At any rate the requirement for ADS-B should be satlink. The reliance on VHF in a modern heavy in this day and age is silly. Even shipping uses satphone over conventional radio now. A lot of them have the equivalent of live black box reporting as well.
They already have this - ADS-C is the same system but with satellite uplink. The problem with satellite uplink is that it has much higher latency than ADS-B, so is only used when no ADS-B listening stations are available.

As for the expense I simply do not consider it at all acceptable that in this day and age we don't know the whereabouts of a 250 million dollar piece of equipment with up to 500 souls on board at every given moment. Do you?
It's not the expense. It's that your solution only solves the problem of this one specific crash (maybe) while adding a lot of maintenance, weight, and additional points of electric failure.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Unbelieveable with latest news relevation from Malay military that MH370 disappear from commercial radar track and continue to flew after turning, changed attitude & continue somehow for 1+ hours and way off-course, then disappeared ??? The Air Force General said it before, there are some things we can tell or share with you and some that we cannot disclose ...

So MH370 possibly never entered Vietnam airspace or FIR as that government maintained and yet has been the focal point for much of SAR, relying on datapoints & information from Malay authorities and alleged sightings.

If it was Malacca Strait - very disturbing as it could have - with estimated fuel onboard - flown for several more hours. No known attempts made to contact or intercept the "silent" plane - raised more questions than answers, like radar sources from Indonesia and Thailand ?? English skills being the least of the problem here !

One might as well do SAR in the Bay of Bengal as it could've flown across toward India over that big wide body of water. Draw a 6+ hour radius, that plane could be anywhere in that vast region - yet, the main search grid is 100 nm and the Strait of Malacca. Hmmm, I think once the latest news is verified, we need a "slight" game-changing revision to the Wiki.
So basically, every SAR vessel in the Gulf of Thailand and South China Sea searching for this missing plane has been on a wild goose chase? This will certainly not go down well with the Vietnamese and Chinese authorities.

I am not going to speculate whether the Malaysian authorities are hiding anything, but one thing becomes increasing clear (and I hate to say this by the way), so far the way the Malays have handled this made me forced to agree with the posters who question the professionalism and competence of the Malaysian authorities.

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Mar 11, 2014 at 9:58 am
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For information that may already have been discussed or posted, please read the wiki prior to posting new theories, old news, discredited reports.

As this is intended to be a strictly moderated thread, those posts criticising SAR efforts, redesigning aircraft, containing wild speculation, tasteless material that could be offensive to family reading this thread, material that can be read upthread or in the wiki and the like will be / have been summarily deleted, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS.

- JDiver, on behalf of the Senior Moderator team.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:56 am

<redacted>

I think much more blame needs to be placed at the feet of gossips and rumor-mongers in the press that just reprint whatever rumor percolates up from local media (looking at Reuters).

Every time some piece of "news" comes out from a non-authoritative source, it gets posted here 30 times, such as the sighting by a CX plane and now this apparently fabricated quote about the plane being tracked by military radar.

A day later, the "news" (really, rumor or unverified find) gets debunked by the actual authorities, who are then accused of hiding things.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 11, 2014 at 10:35 am Reason: redacted deleted post content
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by adamak
So, wait. Did the plane make a left turn? I thought that was a fact? What tracking are you referring to?
According to local Malaysian sources, the whole Reuters article about the aircraft being tracked at 29,000 feet by RMAF Butterworth out into the Andaman Sea was a fabrication.

On the first day, an official from the RMAF said that it is possible the plane turned back (speculation). But there have been no other confirmed news about it being tracked/not tracked by military radar since then.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by room317
But why is it just up to the Malaysians then? Surely there are other countries, like Vietnam, that were supposed to be following this plane.
If the Vietnamese don't have adequate radar coverage over that section of the gulf and have to rely on the pilot's position reports, then they may not know. Remember, it was literally at the southern edge of Vietnamese airspace so radar coverage maybe somewhat patchy there.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beowl
Hello everyone.

Apologies if this already appeared in previous pages, Bloomberg has a somewhat interesting piece on why is flight data 'trapped' in commercial aircraft (it also offer plenty of links to other useful summaries of what is currnetly known about MH370).

This is the interesting part:

Why not transmit this flight data off the plane so it’s accessible almost instantly Airlines, after all, track each of their flights everywhere in the world and can advise crews on course adjustments, security alerts, quick weather changes, and a host of other situations. Passengers are routinely offered in-air Wi-Fi and live television these days. So why keep vital data trapped on the plane?

The answer is mostly about one issue: cost. Sending all the data from each flight in real time via satellite would be enormously expensive. A 2002 study by L-3 Aviation Recorders (LLL) and a satellite provider found that a U.S. airline flying a global network would need to spend $300 million per year to transmit all its flight data, even assuming a 50 percent reduction in future satellite transmission costs. And that’s just a single airline. Commercial airline disasters, meanwhile, are becoming even more uncommon as technology and techniques improve—in part thanks to lessons from past crashes—so there’s little incentive for investing heavily in real-time data.
What's the effective data rate for recordings to the FDR? Is it on the order of kilobits per second or megabits per second? If the former, satellite data capacity has come a LONG way since 2002, and with more and more aircraft becoming equipped with on-board wifi, it shouldn't be too hard to upload a few dozen (or even a few hundred) kbps of data at very little incremental cost.

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
To the mods,

Is it worthwhile asking all those who make changes to the wiki to highlight changes or new additions in, say, yellow so other FTers re-reading the wiki can quickly see the changes and any new information therein?

Just a thought.
Absolutely great idea, IMHO. I skim through the wiki periodically when I haven't been on the thread, but it's hard to see what's changed.

Originally Posted by vkykam
I would imagine this also assumes a transmission of ALL data going into the flight recorder, as opposed to sending just the GPS coordinates, which would help to locate the black box, and thus the rest of that data.

I'm with florin and the rest on here who thinks it's inexcusable not to have co-ordinate uploads on all commercial aviation in 2014.
Good point--uploading just the coordinates, even on a very frequent basis, is literally just a few KB of data at most. Again, with more and more aircraft being equipped with in-flight wifi, it would be trivial to do this at almost no cost.

As someone else mentioned, plans are already in the works to do this with ADS-C, though. Can't come soon enough, IMHO.

Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
Click 'Edit', then 'View History'.
That works, but it's not the easiest to read. I like SingaporeDon's idea--highlight the stuff that's been posted in the last, say, 12 (or maybe 24?) hours in yellow. Timestamp when it was highlighed so others can go through and un-highlight it after it's passed the requisite amount of time.

Originally Posted by lo2e
I'm not sure I see how the military is acting idiotic - they've merely reported that their radar data shows the plane took a turn to the west and was "seen" in the Strait of Malacca. I'm not sure I've seen that someone was actively watching the radar in the area and just allowed this plane to get way off course.

Unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible, so please correct me if I'm wrong), it doesn't appear the military is purposely hiding anything or trying to mislead.
The fact it's taken three days for them to release that information either speaks to hiding something or incompetence, IMHO.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by andrewwm
I think much more blame needs to be placed at the feet of gossips and rumor-mongers in the press that just reprint whatever rumor percolates up from local media (looking at Reuters).

Every time some piece of "news" comes out from a non-authoritative source, it gets posted here 30 times, such as the sighting by a CX plane and now this apparently fabricated quote about the plane being tracked by military radar.

A day later, the "news" (really, rumor or unverified find) gets debunked by the actual authorities, who are then accused of hiding things.
+1. Everyone just wants instant answers or anything for that matter. Everyone just needs to chill out. We won't know anything conclusive for a while.

I've seen firsthand during natural disasters where reporters are desperate for a news piece and would be seen interviewing some low ranking police officer. It then would be published as a local "official" being quoted with saying <insert information/clue here>. That story would then be picked up by major news outlet which would lead people to believe that it's fact.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: FB Gold
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...ssions-396857/

In response to a question posed by Flightglobal about the aircraft’s ACARS data, one of the officials cited the “sensitivity of the investigations.”
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Note the radar coverage map in the wiki, originally posted upthread by a member; if VKB radar is out or not performing properly, MH370 would be out of Malaysian radar coverage for much of its transit in the Gulf of Thailand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.