Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by DBCme
Certainly more details here than are being released to the public. This entire situation is almost unimaginable.

In a scenario whereby the government is withholding information - military secrets of such, is it better they continue to do so, or should they be more transparent with the investigation?

We must consider the possibility that any act (as simple as trying to bring a water bottle through security checkpoints - up to something larger in scale - such as theories on this thread), may simply be an attempt to test the checks and balances in the system, identify gaps and such for use in a larger plan. At what point does being transparent - at the current stage, put more of us at risk?
There are no military secrets being with held - it is not so complex at all - these are the secrets of incompetence, corruption and favors and some really random cost cutting..
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
To the mods,

Is it worthwhile asking all those who make changes to the wiki to highlight changes or new additions in, say, yellow so other FTers re-reading the wiki can quickly see the changes and any new information therein?

Just a thought.
Originally Posted by lingua101
or perhaps put a date (and time) on when the info on wiki being updated. hence it will be easily read which one is new. something like version control
Click 'Edit', then 'View History'.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Apologies if I've missed the direct reference somewhere in the thread, but are we possibly talking about a Payne Stewart situation now? If so, the crash site could be anywhere.

On October 25, 1999, a chartered Learjet 35 was scheduled to fly from Orlando, Florida to Dallas, Texas. Early in the flight the aircraft, which was cruising at altitude on autopilot, quickly lost cabin pressure. All on board were incapacitated due to hypoxia — a lack of oxygen. The aircraft failed to make the westward turn toward Dallas over north Florida. It continued flying over the southern and midwestern United States for almost four hours and 1,500 miles (2,400 km). The plane ran out of fuel and crashed into a field near Aberdeen, South Dakota after an uncontrolled descent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_So..._Learjet_crash
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: UA MR UR AA
Originally Posted by flyaxa
Just catching up on the latest developments...at least some questions are now being answered...the strange timeline contradictions and last point(s) of contact, the unexplained SAR in Malacca Strait. Doesn't help things when the Malaysian authorities are being evasive and opaque.

I'm leaning towards some sort of event which rendered the pilots and or cockpit totally incapacitated, leaving the plane on some sort of autopilot until catastrophic failure occurred. Add to that the search being hindered by obfuscating Malaysian authorities for whatever reason.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2701720140311

Completely baffling. As a Malaysian I'm embarrassed at how idiotic the military is acting if this turns out to be true.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
BBC analyst is saying this is an intelligence cat and mouse game and the truth is slowly outing.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by MANman
see also: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rash-live.html

09.30 Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, Malaysian civil aviation chief, said earlier that the widened search includes northern parts of the Malacca Strait, on the opposite side of the Malay Peninsula and far west of the plane's last known location. Mr Azharuddin would not explain why crews were searching there, saying rather cryptically, "There are some things that I can tell you and some things that I can't."
I don't have the transcript from the Press Conference, but it would appear he made the comments in response to a question "why search around Malacca?"
They decided to search there and he is not saying why.

If they really did know the last sighting was in Malacca, even while they have been searching off Vietnam and this was kept quiet for some military or incompetence reason, then people, especially the Chinese, will be really quite angry.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:02 am

Anyone could translate to English?

Lapan penduduk dengar bunyi dentuman buat laporan polis di Marang

MARANG 11 Mac - Lapan penduduk di Kampung Pantai Seberang Marang di sini mendakwa mendengar bunyi dentuman yang kuat pada pagi Sabtu lalu datang dari timur laut Pulau Kapas, kemungkinan ada kaitan dengan pesawat Malaysia Airlines Penerbangan MH370 yang hilang.

Berikutan itu mereka telah membuat laporan di ibu pejabat polis Daerah Marang kira-kira pukul 10.30 pagi tadi.

Salah seorang penduduk terbabit, Alias Salleh, 36, berkata pada pukul 1.20 pagi berkenaan ketika beliau bersama tujuh lagi rakannya sedang bersantai duduk di bangku kira-kira 400 meter dari pantai Marang, tiba-tiba dikejutkan dengan bunyi kuat seperti kipas kapal terbang.

"Bunyi yang kuat dan menakutkan itu dipercayai datang dari timur laut Pulau Kapas sebelum kami bergegas ke arah tersebut untuk mengesan punca bunyi itu. "Kami mencari di sekitar Pantai Rhu Muda namun tidak menemui apa-apa yang mencurigakan," kata Alias, seorang pemandu lori.

Ditanya mengapa beliau membuat laporan selepas empat hari kejadian itu berlaku, bapa kepada tiga orang anak itu berkata, beliau bertanggungjawab untuk melaporkan maklumat kepada pihak berkuasa bila pesawat masih tidak ditemui hari ini selepas empat hari berlalu.

Sementara itu, seorang lagi penduduk Mohd Yusri Mohd Yusof, 34, berkata bunyi yang kuat dan agak pelik itu pada awalnya disangkakan fenomena Tsunami.

"Bunyi bising yang kedengaran seperti kipas kapal terbang itu dapat saya dan rakan-rakan dengar selama dua minit dan bunyi itu berdesing.

"Saya mengambil keputusan ini (membuat laporan) selepas berasa curiga dengan bunyi itu dan ditambah lagi dengan laporan media berkaitan kes kehilangan pesawat," kata beliau.

Mohd Yusri turut mendakwa beberapa kawannya termasuk pemancing dan nelayan turut mendengar bunyi aneh berkenaan dari arah pantai.

Pesawat MAS Penerbangan MH370 itu membawa 227 penumpang, termasuk dua bayi dan 12 anak kapal, hilang semasa dalam perjalanan dari Kuala Lumpur ke Beijing kira-kira sejam setelah berlepas dari Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Kuala Lumpur di Sepang pada 12.41 pagi Sabtu.

- BERNAMA.

Artikel Penuh: http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/Dala...#ixzz2veOgueMx
© Utusan Melayu (M) Bhd
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by florin
  • $300 million / year for a US airline flying a GLOBAL network is not that much.
  • 2002 was 12 years ago, before lots of planes had WiFi.
  • Not all these communications need to be done via satellite. If a plane is flying over Europe, for example, I would assume that this data can be transmitted via other channels.

IMO not having such a system nowadays is inexcusable.
Quite inexcusable and all I'm asking for is GPS data to be broadcast, position, heading speed and altitude. To have my satphone do that every five minutes costs me less than $5 a day.

Originally Posted by DanTravels
And with the fuel loaded, what are we looking for now... any flat spot big enough to land a 777, anywhere from Sumatra to PNG to Western Australia?
If it came anywhere near Northern Australia Jindalee (the over the horizon radar system) should have picked it up. No way they would miss a bird that size.

Originally Posted by Hokiethang
Not possible unless the plane was clipping treetops. Cellular tower antennas are tuned and oriented for radios (phones) on the ground. There aren't antennas on the towers that point up at the sky.
Sorry mate but I have made and received calls on my GSM mobile from 15 to 20,000 feet on many occasions even in areas where towers are a long way apart.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:07 am

Are they saying they lost contact or that the acft left their radar range?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:10 am

Here is in English.

MARANG: Eight villagers here lodged police reports today claiming that they had heard a loud noise last Saturday coming from the direction of Pulau Kapas and believed it was linked to the disappearance of a Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight on that day.
All of them, from Kampung Pantai Seberang Marang, made the reports at the Marang district police headquarters at about 10.30 am.

One of them, Alias Salleh, 36, said he and seven fellow villagers were seated on a bench about 400 metres from the Marang beach at 1.20 am when they heard the noise, which sounded like the fan of a jet engine.

"The loud and frightening noise came from the north-east of Pulau Kapas and we ran in that direction to find out the cause. We looked around the Rhu Muda beach but did not see anything unusual," said the lorry driver.

Replying to a question, Alias said they lodged the police report so that it would be of help to the authorities who were trying to locate the missing MAS aircraft.

MAS Flight MH370, carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew, went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing about an hour after taking off from the KL International Airport at 12.41 am Saturday.

It was flying above the South China Sea off Kelantan at that time. It should have landed in Beijing at 6.30 am but has disappeared without a trace.

Another villager, Mohd Yusri Mohd Yusof, 34, said when he heard the strange noise, he thought a tsunami was about to strike.

"My friends and I heard the ringing noise for about two minutes. I decided to lodge the police report after seeing the media reports on the lost flight," he said. -- BERNAMA
21 8 Google +0 3

Read more: MISSING MH370: Loud noise reported, believed linked to missing plane - Latest - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-co...#ixzz2vfBHA8jb
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by farulg
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2701720140311

Completely baffling. As a Malaysian I'm embarrassed at how idiotic the military is acting if this turns out to be true.
Unbelievable. Even if the transponder was turned off, how on earth does ATC not notice?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Hypoxia

I know there has been a lot of discussion about possible loss of cabin pressure and hypoxia setting in and incapacitating the pilots, and it has been the cause for other airline crashes. Maybe there should be a policy that one pilot has to be connected to the planes oxygen supply at all times in flight? I am not a pilot but there should be some way to prevent this type of accident from occurring.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by iquitos
Are they saying they lost contact or that the acft left their radar range?
The report said "last seen"
But while this "new" last sighting is being widely reported, all reports seem to be from the same off-the-record comment, so far unconfirmed.
We have to wait until the Press Conference for some more info.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Quite inexcusable and all I'm asking for is GPS data to be broadcast, position, heading speed and altitude. To have my satphone do that every five minutes costs me less than $5 a day.
I don't understand why an airline would do this. You'd be asking every airline to incur significant additional costs (on top of already slim margins for many airlines) for absolutely no tangible benefit. GPS wouldn't have kept this plane in the air, unfortunate as it is, and wouldn't have saved the lives of those onboard, God rest their souls.

If the global flying community is asking airlines to incur millions in cost I'd rather it be for something tangible that improves flight safety even more instead of something that makes it easier to find a downed plane.

This accident doesn't change the fact that there just aren't that many scenarios like this. Two in the past decade. This search is costly, sure, but it's something for which MH has insurance and can hedge against. If they had instituted something like this after AF447, it would have been a complete and total waste of money for every airline that's not MH, and it wouldn't have saved MH any money, they're still out the plane and have to bear the emotional cost on their conscience forever.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:19 am

Malaysia's Berita Harian newspaper quoted air force chief Rodzali Daud as saying the plane was last detected at 2.40 a.m. by military radar near the island of Pulau Perak at the northern end of the Strait of Malacca. It was flying about 1,000 meters lower than its previous altitude, he was quoted as saying. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2701720140311

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.