Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:52 pm

Arrival Boards at Beijing still show MH 370 as delayed.

Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
KUL ATC said it lost contact with plane somewhere over Vietnam. Could be lightning.. As that region is infamous for heavy turbulence due to storms too.

There is rural hilly terrain over parts of Vietnam still. In fact, a crash in 1971 by Cathay Pacific was over Vietnam too.. But that was due to a bomb. And it took search and rescue teams days to find it.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure how many people know about this airline, but they've always struck me as a competent, professional airline. I've taken their soon-to-be-discontinued LAX-KUL flight (ending their service to the USA), and just a couple of months ago I flew a couple of their flights within Malaysia.

It's certainly possible that there are flyertalkers on board, especially since MH is a oneworld partner. That's the primary reason I recently flew them within southeast Asia as an alternative to AirAsia (same fares, but I got lounges and miles with my elite status). They kind of feel like a little sister to SQ and, indeed, they used to be the same company. <redacted>

... I recently flew SIN-PEK on SQ, as PEK in a China Air hub, and therefore a decent place for Star Alliance polar connections to the USA. It would be somewhat less likely that you'd fly that route on MH, because they're a oneworld carrier. The flight is also too far (2700 miles) to be a good use of Avios miles, so perhaps that too would be a disincentive for flyertalkers.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 7, 2014 at 11:19 pm Reason: redacted dilatory and incorrect information

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Until the aircraft is located there will be no way to know for sure what happened (other than based on reported fuel loads, the plane is no longer flying) everything else is pure speculation.

That being said, as soon as I saw the news on BBC, my first stop was flyertalk, as the folks here are generally better informed and less prone to idle speculation.

Originally Posted by Marsy
As of 10:21 local time (half an hour ago), Nanning airport said the plane did not land there

Source (in chinese) http://live.sina.com.cn/zt/l/v/news/FJSL/
Unfortunately, that was our only hope!
In Memoriam

Lots of financial problems over the years for this airline....

http://www.kinibiz.com/story/issues/...r-airline.html
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
It just makes me feel sick.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
KUL ATC said it lost contact with plane somewhere over Vietnam. Could be lightning.. As that region is infamous for heavy turbulence due to storms too.

There is rural hilly terrain over parts of Vietnam still. In fact, a crash in 1971 by Cathay Pacific was over Vietnam too.. But that was due to a bomb. And it took search and rescue teams days to find it.
But GB the plane was off the coast of Vietnam and not over Vietnam. This plane probably had a mechanical.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by iahphx
Not sure how many people know about this airline, but they've always struck me as a competent, professional airline.
I just heard a CNN interview where the person in question (reporter based in KUL?) was making the same point.

An MH official has said specifically that the plane did not land in Nanning.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: KF G, UA 1K, SPG P, Marriott P, Hilton G, Wyndham G
Originally Posted by Joe Schoomer
Unfortunately, that was our only hope!
The last hope now is the plane was indeed hijacked, landed and authorities are covering up now before they are ready to make official announcement...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
I was on this plane, http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/9m-mro, a few days ago on the BOM-KUL flight. My heart goes out to all the family and loved ones of the passengers this morning.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
It was just reported on Ninemsn by an airline spokesman that there are Australians onboard.

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1.97MM
Originally Posted by ManagerJosh
Arrival Boards at Beijing still show MH 370 as delayed.

Can't imagine the pain people are feeling that are at PEK waiting for the people that ARE on this flight..

bad memories from AF447
Still praying for the best
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by iahphx
..I'm mildly hopeful that the route is odd enough that there won't be any flyertalkers on board.
A FlyerTalk friend is scheduled to be on that exact flight Sunday.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:02 pm

Boeing website just got updated.

Malysia flight MH370.
We’re closely monitoring reports on Malaysia flight MH370. Our thoughts are with everyone on board.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiLFVNTIcAAfm36.jpg:large

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 7, 2014 at 8:19 pm Reason: redacted overly large image, added words, left working URL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.