FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   MH wants to charge me for checking in my wheelchair at check-in? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1552858-mh-wants-charge-me-checking-my-wheelchair-check.html)

tmac100 Feb 17, 14 10:37 pm

MH wants to charge me for checking in my wheelchair at check-in?
 
I asked about bringing a wheelchair with me and here is their response:

"You may check in the wheelchair together with your other check in baggage. The total combine weight should not exceed the free baggage allowance of 30kg.
Otherwise it will be subjected to excess baggage charge."

I thought that mobility aids can come on OW airlines at no charge. Is this MH policy something new? How can it get changed to a no-charge situation with MH, or does MH have it's own set of rules as compared to the rest of the OW system - say BA and Qantas, and CX?

rooivalk Feb 18, 14 8:13 am


Originally Posted by tmac100 (Post 22368365)
I asked about bringing a wheelchair with me and here is their response:

"You may check in the wheelchair together with your other check in baggage. The total combine weight should not exceed the free baggage allowance of 30kg.
Otherwise it will be subjected to excess baggage charge."

I thought that mobility aids can come on OW airlines at no charge. Is this MH policy something new? How can it get changed to a no-charge situation with MH, or does MH have it's own set of rules as compared to the rest of the OW system - say BA and Qantas, and CX?

I wasn't aware OW had an alliance-wide mobility aid policy - do you have a copy of a formal text indicating that? Might help your case.

Penguinmoon Feb 18, 14 8:26 am

According to their own website, if you are the user, then there should be no fee. It sounds as if you are NOT the user, or the user is not traveling, then yes, they would charge:

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/au/e...vice-fees.html

tmac100 Feb 18, 14 9:03 am


Originally Posted by Penguinmoon (Post 22370165)
According to their own website, if you are the user, then there should be no fee. It sounds as if you are NOT the user, or the user is not traveling, then yes, they would charge:

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/au/e...vice-fees.html

I specifically asked about ME taking MY wheelchair when I travelled. I wonder how I can clarify this using English :confused:

They danced around a bit and when I specifically asked about ANY costs for checking in the wheelchair - IF I was not using it to get to the aircraft. They came back with the XS baggage fee if total weight (of the wheelchair and baggage) was over the 30 kg limit. This is the first time I have ever experienced this opinion, and maybe I should re-consider flying with MH if they persist with charging. They seem to have different policies for weight and piece systems and mobility aids.

Like I said, I have NEVER experienced this "attitude" and it is obviously aimed at inadvertently NOT helping the mobility challenged "potential" passenger.

I wonder how many mobility challenged passengers have been caught in this additional fee charged at the airport when they have no option except to abort their trip because of the expense.

Good thing I have not purchased my ticket yet :eek: Maybe they will clarify the situation as I DID ASK for clarification when their web pages seem to intimate they are "friendly" toward helping mobility challenged passengers. Maybe they mean because of the extra fees they can collect :rolleyes:

Katja Feb 18, 14 4:19 pm

Why do you want to check it in rather than using it to the gate?

Penguinmoon Feb 18, 14 5:52 pm

If it were me, I would just print the page from their website. If I was hassled at checkin, provide the copy. How could they possible dispute it? I wouldn't waste anymore time dealing with an MH office. I find that the MOST frustrating part of flying MH and try to avoid it. If I HAVE to call, I will usually call the LA office. (Sad, that will be disappearing:( )

tmac100 Feb 18, 14 7:42 pm

Thanks folks. I await MH's final word, and THAT will settle it..

Bottom line is this: My wheel chair is coming with me and I can go with another airline which definitely will allow it WITHOUT being charged for it. My checked baggage is not a part of my "handicap" (if I can be politically incorrect here) and has to be separated from my mobility issue.

So if I am going to be charged, I as a consumer can say: NO way, MH. Bye, Bye because of your policy of being charged for my mobility aid.

Other airlines will be happy to take my $$.

Penguinmoon Feb 18, 14 7:44 pm

But you do have their final word. On their website, it states clearly you will not be charged. Print a copy. You'll be fine.

tmac100 Feb 18, 14 7:44 pm


Originally Posted by Penguinmoon (Post 22373635)
If it were me, I would just print the page from their website. If I was hassled at checkin, provide the copy. How could they possible dispute it? I wouldn't waste anymore time dealing with an MH office. I find that the MOST frustrating part of flying MH and try to avoid it. If I HAVE to call, I will usually call the LA office. (Sad, that will be disappearing:( )

The MH website is not clear. :confused:

That is why I asked for clarification in the first place. Other airlines have a clear policy on their website.

tmac100 Feb 18, 14 7:49 pm


Originally Posted by Penguinmoon (Post 22374145)
But you do have their final word. On their website, it states clearly you will not be charged. Print a copy. You'll be fine.

I must be looking at the wrong part of their website. Do you have a link to the page that definitely states that wheelchairs will NOT be charged?

Virginia Emery Feb 18, 14 8:17 pm


Originally Posted by tmac100 (Post 22374172)
I must be looking at the wrong part of their website. Do you have a link to the page that definitely states that wheelchairs will NOT be charged?

Seems pretty clear to me

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/au/e...vice-fees.html - section (c) Excess baggage charges for special items in Piece System


Wheelchair

No charge if carried by user.

Wheelchair carried by non-user can be accepted as baggage provided it is well packed and will be charged according to dimensions and weight.

Power-driven wheelchair

One wheelchair is carried free of charge as checked baggage.

tmac100 Feb 18, 14 9:17 pm


Originally Posted by Virginia Emery (Post 22374320)
Seems pretty clear to me

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/au/e...vice-fees.html - section (c) Excess baggage charges for special items in Piece System

YUP. This is clear. I missed that part totally as I was looking in:

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/au/e...vel-needs.html

However I am not travelling to/from the USA and must use the weight system. I am travelling in the Oceana region (KUL and to/from Australia). maybe this is why MH is saying what they are saying...

tmac100 Feb 19, 14 12:50 am

I found a solution!

Forget MH. ^ I looked at AirAsiaX and I can get their premium service with a flatbed and a meal but it is more expensive than MH economy - but cheaper than MH Business class but hassle free. I just pay for the wheelchair.

If I fly AirAsiaX in economy, it is definitely less expensive than MH even when I pay for the wheelchair - and no hassle with the wheelchair either ;)

I have flown AirAsiaX before and their premium service is quite nice. ^ I will forget getting BAEC miles and TPs as it seems flying with MH is not worth the hassle.

My orthopedic surgeon is happy that I am taking the wheelchair with me. No story necessary :p

mario33 Feb 19, 14 3:48 am

You kicked a huge fuss because MH is not giving you extra baggage allowance beyond the complimentary 30kg to check-in your wheel chair. If you don't have much luggage, chances are that you can even check-in your wheel chair without exceeding the 30kg, all for free.

However you now decide to fly Air Asia X which gives you zero complimentary baggage allowance. You even have to pay for them to ferry your underwear in your luggage and yet you are not complaining they are unfriendly to those who don't subscribe to nudism let alone those who are 'mobility challenged' :rolleyes:

tmac100 Feb 19, 14 4:23 am


Originally Posted by mario33 (Post 22375880)
You kicked a huge fuss because MH is not giving you extra baggage allowance beyond the complimentary 30kg to check-in your wheel chair. If you don't have much luggage, chances are that you can even check-in your wheel chair without exceeding the 30kg, all for free.

However you now decide to fly Air Asia X which gives you zero complimentary baggage allowance. You even have to pay for them to ferry your underwear in your luggage and yet you are not complaining they are unfriendly to those who don't subscribe to nudism let alone those who are 'mobility challenged' :rolleyes:

Define "huge". I will pay for what I want and will get it with AirAsiaX. With more OW trips planned later in the year, I have also decided that the MH situation is not worth worrying about. I have NEVER had this sort of an issue with BA, and now won't with MH either :D

By the way, I DO get 25 kg of baggage allowance with my AAX premium booking - and that will allow for more than underwear. Thanks for your incorrect comment. You are wrong - but that is your bias showing.

Similarly, I recently flew with UA and while I did manage to "walk up to the counter", they took my wheelchair at no extra charge, but MH seems to be otherwise inclined. Just as well - they can cater to those who want the MH kind of service, because I obviously cannot stomach their approach to treating folks in such a cheap and demeaning manner. Just my opinion, no need for flames.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:01 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.