Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH, preselect seats, One World Sapphire member?

Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC

Need to purchase a KUL - HKG ticket, am a One World Sapphire member. Can I select seats without a fee when booking discount Y tickets due to my Sapphire status?

What are the loads like on the KUL - HKG fights? I certainly don't want to be stuck in the middle seat and will pay extra for a prereserved seat if I can't preselect a seat with no fee as a Sapphire member.

Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
When booking through MH.com, you can't. MH won't even allow their own higher tier members pre reserve seats without a fee. However, that said,

1. Some fares allows you to pre reserve a seat at no charge.
2. I once was able to book MH flights, CGK-KUL-SIN through a third party site, selecting seats without charge. My choices did stick (bulkhead), and was not assessed a fee at the airport.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:04 am

I booked a heavily discounted ticket in Y (Q) Class on a third party website. Because of legs I am flying i cannot pre-select seat on the MH website. So i called them at their headquarter and wasn't charged a thing for selecting my seats.

But you can try to select seats on MH website first (after booking).
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:39 am

You can only book seats on MH website if you book through them AND at time of making reservation. You can not use the confirmation code when booked thru another site and go into and manage your reservation on the website.

I have never tried calling to reserve a seat that I would have to pay for at MH.com, if it works, a good loophole
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Book thru a travel agent or third party sites and get seat selection even without any status!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:55 am

Bulkheads and Exit rows to, Guy?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:28 am

I could have had an bulkhead seat but was asked if I really wanted to sit there as there are bassinets. Opted for 74K on the A380 instead.
From this I take everything was open to chose from. Don't know if I was just lucky.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
I have some flights with MH later this year in addition to the KUL - HKG. The majority of flights are very short flights that are an hour or two in the air.

Does MH have any preferred seats reserved for OW elites that I can benefit from once check in opens? I have OW Sapphire status with AA and no status with BA. The fare class I have booked doesn't earn miles with AA but does with BA. Therefore I would like to add my BA number to the reservation but I won't benefit from any preferred seats if I do so.

I plan on showing my AA membership card at check in to use the J check in counters and for lounge access.

Alternatively, I could put my AA number on the reservation and then submit a missing mileage request to BA after travel is complete for the miles I would earn. Of course, that involves having to chase BA to have the miles credited to my account.

Not sure which FF number is best to put on my reservation.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
MH doesn't do that. No preferred seats reserved for Elites. Even their own Enrich Platinums have to pay for seat selection.
Just add your BA number to the reservation and show your AA card at the lounge.
MH has issues with properly crediting flights to partner programs as it is, and a retroactive program change would mean even more trouble.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'm in a similar situation. I've got two longhauls with MH and really don't want to chance it to T-48. Should I call (and pay?) or what?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Personally, I've never pre-booked seats on MH as you do have to pay. But I have found them at check-in to be pretty good at assigning the ones I want.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
Personally, I've never pre-booked seats on MH as you do have to pay. But I have found them at check-in to be pretty good at assigning the ones I want.

Thanks. I was expecting this to be the case, but my problem is my first segment is on a code-share partner.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
MH system actually works quite interestingly. THE OLCI system.

In my experience, with a MH PNR, you can do OLCI for flights in any sequence you want as long as it is T-48. Example, LHR-KUL-BKK. You can do LHR-BKK all the way, LHR-KUL, or KUL-BKK only. So it might work if you have a MH PNR.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:34 am

Thanks, I do have the 6 digit PNR as I booked on the MH site. I'll try doing OLCI for each segment separately and report back in about a month
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Unlike SQ, MH doesn't block half of the Y cabins for airport assignment so there's a good chance that you'll snag a decent seat. Exit rows must be obtained at the airport, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.