Search

MAS Luggage question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS, LH, Sixt Platinum
Post MAS Luggage question

Hi All

I am flying from PVG via KUL to LHR at the end of the month with Malaysia Airlines. My ticket ( promo ticket) states that my luggage allowance is 30kg - I however have close to 60kg to bring back home!
I just called the call centre and was informed each additional kg would be around Ł50/$75USD........ if you do the maths - this would add up to 4 x what i paid for the flight originally!

Most airlines allow you to purchase additional suitcases with their standard weight of 23kg in advance for a discount.....however judging to the guy i spoke to in the call center, Malaysia Airlines doesn't offer this????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

P.S. No longer BA Silver (so would not be entitled to an extra luggage for free)
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by schmidlin88
Hi All

I am flying from PVG via KUL to LHR at the end of the month with Malaysia Airlines. My ticket ( promo ticket) states that my luggage allowance is 30kg - I however have close to 60kg to bring back home!
I just called the call centre and was informed each additional kg would be around Ł50/$75USD........ if you do the maths - this would add up to 4 x what i paid for the flight originally!

Most airlines allow you to purchase additional suitcases with their standard weight of 23kg in advance for a discount.....however judging to the guy i spoke to in the call center, Malaysia Airlines doesn't offer this????

P.S. No longer BA Silver (so would not be entitled to an extra luggage for free)
No, it's not. Baggage, if i recall correctly, is charged in 5kg blocks, and nowhere near Ł250 (going by your rate) for that. I think it's something like RM75-100 for the 5kg block. (call it Ł15-20)

In any case though - BA Silver would not have helped since extra baggage is only an Emerald benefit.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Not really - airlines allow you to buy an extra suitcase when/on itineraries where they have moved to a piece concept, which admittedly has long been the case of US airlines and has now become the dominant case in Europe. Where the concept is a weight concept, you are always charged by extra weight. If you have a lot of extra luggage it may well be cheaper to send one of your suitcases as separate cargo from an (very often the same) airline but you need to arrange that before you go check in. I would give the cargo number a ring and ask how much they would charge for a suitcase of x kilos.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Per MH website :- http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/au/e...d-baggage.html

...Weight System excess baggage rates

Effective 14 February 2013, the charges for checked baggage weights in excess of the free baggage allowance will be calculated depending on zone of travel with a fixed rate applied for every 5 kg of excess baggage weight. The excess baggage rate for each block of 5 kg excess weight will be MYR 30, MYR 60 and MYR 90 respectively depending on zone of travel.

Zone 1 – The rate of MYR 30 applies for each sector in the zone within Malaysia and the ASEAN countries of Singapore, Indonesia, Brunei, Philippines, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Zone 2 – MYR 60 applies for each sector in the zone beyond Malaysia and ASEAN, covering destinations in India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bangladesh, Nepal, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, New Zealand and Australia.

Zone 3 – The intercontinental rate of MYR 90 will be charged on all travel between Malaysia and the cities of Jeddah, London, Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt and Istanbul.

For flights departing from international airports, the charges will be based on the Malaysian Ringgit (MYR) value of the applicable zonal charge and to be converted into the local currency of payment during check-in.

The above guidelines apply only for travel on Malaysia Airlines and does not cover code-share flights as well as travel involving other airlines....
So you need to add Zone 2+3 for each 5 kg block. That's MYR 150 (around Ł30). So at 30kg extra, you're looking at 6 blocks, MYR 900 or Ł190 equiv, but it'll be changed to RMB equivalent.

MH is already one of the few airlines offering a generous baggage allowance to begin with (most airlines give 20kg or 23kg at best, or one piece at 23kg) and additional bags can go as high as €150 per bag.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:41 am

Hi. I am new here. Would appreciate if anyone can help me.
I will be flying KUL-LHR-DUB (Dublin), with MH on KUL-LHR and EI (AerLingus) LHR-DUB, both flights are booked under the same e-ticket number. Was wondering if it is possible for me to check my baggage through from KUL to DUB without picking them up at LHR? I called MH twice and both agents gave me 2 different answers.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Yes it is. You just check it all the way through to DUB.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
I am bit confused about the piece and weight system. I am travelling to Europe so my allowance is 30kg. Can I take two bags one 16 kg and another 14 kgs ( so it doesn't go beyond 30kg) or is it one bag only up to 30 kgs thanks
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I want to bring my wheelchair with me KUL-to/from Australia. Needed in case my leg brace breaks and I need to get around intil the brace gets reoaired.

I understand airlines let such a mobility item to be a checked-in baggage item. Do I need a medical note for Malaysian? I have not with North American airlines.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by wtcmor
I am bit confused about the piece and weight system. I am travelling to Europe so my allowance is 30kg. Can I take two bags one 16 kg and another 14 kgs ( so it doesn't go beyond 30kg) or is it one bag only up to 30 kgs thanks
Its strictly by weight, so even 3 bags of 10kg each will work. Many people could not lift a 30 kg bag easily.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Its strictly by weight, so even 3 bags of 10kg each will work. Many people could not lift a 30 kg bag easily.
It is 2 bags - 30 kg
if you split it in 3 bags, you will pay for a 3rd bag
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Hi All

Check with the local courier or DHL bulk box, possibly cheaper.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by ashkale
Check with the local courier or DHL bulk box, possibly cheaper.
I really hope the OP got home by now.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by alphaod
I really hope the OP got home by now.
Hehe missed the date, might be of help to someone in the future with a similar predicament

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.