ONLINE ORDER FORM

MH388 KUL-PVG BREAKFAST
MH387 PVG-KUL LUNCH

MH360 KUL-PEK DINNER
MH3601 PEK-KUL BREAKFAST
Print Wikipost

MH : Chef on Call for F/J passengers

Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:28 pm

Indeed. The Malaysian option on board tends to be quite authentic and flavoursome.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:41 pm

Thanks! I will not choose anything in advance and wait and see what they off on board.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I agree it is odd. The Malaysian food was some of the tastiest I have had in business class . I had the lamb shank ex London and it was superb.

i would be interested to hear about the other dishes on offer as I am pondering what to do on my return leg.

Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: QF WP
This is a shame, chef on call used to have about 20 options with multiple Malaysian choices. Makes me a big sad and nostalgic!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:16 am

Chef on call

Delighted to see that MAS now have Malaysian meal option in Business on the London - KL flight ( Ayam Masak Merah, Ghee Rice, Vegetables with Turmeric and Mustard Seed ) despite the fact I had no complaints at all with the lamb shank last time

However was surprised that on the return only western dishes offered. I would have hoped they were available on both legs but would have understood if they were only available on the flights out of KL

Anyway looking forward to an excellent meal
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:00 am

There will always be a Malaysian meal option in the standard menu out of KUL.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:06 am

I know. I just like the idea of the chef on call and showcasing the brilliant Malaysian cuisine rather than a selection of western meals and an extra choice

I have said elsewhere that on my one and only other trip with MAS recently that the on board food was some of the tastiest I have experienced in business class and I do not know if it is the result of feedback I gave to them or just co-incidence that they have added this to the options on board
Old May 27, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I'm in Business soon from MEL to KUL.

My Chef on Call options are:

Do any have experience and/or recommendations for choosing from these?
Old May 27, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by serfty
I'm in Business soon from MEL to KUL.

My Chef on Call options are:

Do any have experience and/or recommendations for choosing from these?
I had the barramundi before which was pretty nice, but not out of this world. Then again, I don't expect any other dish to be.
If I'm not wrong, these chef on call options haven't changed in ages by the way...
Old May 27, 2019, 8:14 pm
R2

Sorry for my ignorance but is Chef on Call just a fancy name for 'pre-order your main course'? I recently flew MH NRT-KUL which had the chef on call feature, I did not notice any chef aywhere, nor was there a call button for him/her??

Cabin service on the flight was excellent, food was nothing special.

Chef of Call to me brings the idea of having a chef onboard who would maybe discuss your meal preferences and then prepare them accordingly (TK have something like this as one of ther cabin crew is dressed up as a chef and in charge of preparing the meals).
Old May 28, 2019, 2:17 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by R2
Sorry for my ignorance but is Chef on Call just a fancy name for 'pre-order your main course'? I recently flew MH NRT-KUL which had the chef on call feature, I did not notice any chef aywhere, nor was there a call button for him/her??

Cabin service on the flight was excellent, food was nothing special.

Chef of Call to me brings the idea of having a chef onboard who would maybe discuss your meal preferences and then prepare them accordingly (TK have something like this as one of ther cabin crew is dressed up as a chef and in charge of preparing the meals).
yes, chef on call, much like Singapore Airlines' Book-the-Cook, is a pre-order feature for MH J/F passengers. It essentially expands your choices of meals on board. There are no on-board chefs, and 'on-board chefs' on airlines like TK are really more of a show than anything as they don't actually cook the meal.
crackjack likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by clubeurope
yes, chef on call, much like Singapore Airlines' Book-the-Cook, is a pre-order feature for MH J/F passengers. It essentially expands your choices of meals on board. There are no on-board chefs, and 'on-board chefs' on airlines like TK are really more of a show than anything as they don't actually cook the meal.
Yes and no, having a member of crew dedicated just to cooking the meals I suppose means you are more likely to end up with food how you requested it vs. them attempting to multi-task when someone presses the call bell. I’m assuming that’s what the TK chef is, but not sure!
Old May 28, 2019, 3:11 am

For me being able to decide when to eat is important on a long flight. Should be called meal on call as not only can you pre order but you can chose within reason when to eat. As far as I am aware all this entails is the option to order before you fly and then the crew stick it in the microwave to heat just like the other meals

I do find that it is disappointing that there is not more ringing of the changes and more Malaysian options but I have found the food on long haul to be very tasty with MAS
Old May 28, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: Enrich
I recalled that there is a rendang option when they first promote the chef on call few years back. Maybe because they are unable to offer crispy rendang so they decide to remove it from menu
Old May 28, 2019, 3:50 am

I cannot remember the Malaysian dish I had with the chef on call out of London in business but it was very nice as was the Malaysian breakfast

I agree that the dishes they chose must work at 35,000

This has reminded me years ago 1983 when I flew economy with Air Lanka which was new in those days and on reconfirming my flight home in Singapore the staff were horrified when I said the food could have been better as it was all western and none of the fine curries that Sri lanka is known for and their immediate reaction was to order me my own curry for the return (which was duly delivered and excellent)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.