Malaysia Airlines new 737-800

Reply

Old Feb 16, 19, 6:33 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 553
Originally Posted by Zawnet View Post
There are just 9 of them left in the fleet, with 5 still in the old colours.
That may be true, but they are showing their age; always a disappointment when they show up on short-haul international flights as they do from time to time...

Seems the plan is to run them fully ragged and then replace them with the new 737Ms?

[EDIT]Then again, as all of MH's 738s are <9 years old, seems it'd be a waste to retire them so early?

Last edited by crackjack; Feb 16, 19 at 6:53 am
crackjack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 2:46 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,136
There is no way B738 will be retired soon. If MH want's to get rid of them (unlikely) there will be several other operators/carriers ready to pick these birds up. They are the workhorse of short-haul flights all over the world (in the same way as A320 and A321)
SK AAR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 3:43 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 553
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
There is no way B738 will be retired soon. If MH want's to get rid of them (unlikely) there will be several other operators/carriers ready to pick these birds up. They are the workhorse of short-haul flights all over the world (in the same way as A320 and A321)
True, but MH does have those 25 737 Max's on order with deliveries starting 2019 (10 converted to 737 M10s):
https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/hk/...airplanes.html

If Malaysia doesn't retire their 'old' / non-VOD 738s, they do need to refit them... recurring story for all their 'older' planes, it seems. (As you noted, MH can always sell the aircraft after pulling it out of their rotation [Edit] or they will just return them to the lessor given Zawnet's clarification below.)

Last edited by crackjack; Feb 21, 19 at 4:08 am
crackjack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:07 am
  #49  
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: EDI, CGK
Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,740
I'm honestly confused with MH's 'old' 738s. They don't appear to be that old, but the conditions inside the cabin are just so bad. In addition to the classic 737 overhead bins and windows, the J seats are falling apart (though comfy when not), and the Y seats just look bizarre. Among those, I frequently chance upon 9M-MLK, which is apparently 9 years old(?!).
clubeurope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 6:20 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by clubeurope View Post
I'm honestly confused with MH's 'old' 738s. They don't appear to be that old, but the conditions inside the cabin are just so bad. In addition to the classic 737 overhead bins and windows, the J seats are falling apart (though comfy when not), and the Y seats just look bizarre. Among those, I frequently chance upon 9M-MLK, which is apparently 9 years old(?!).

Yeah, the old-interior 738s are not that old but they are all leased and it seems that the interior was decided and chosen by the lessor with zero inputs from MH. The lessor appeared to have selected the most no-frills interior available - and MH probably picked up those planes because it needed some 738s fast and the lease rates are probably attractive enough that these planes remain in the fleet whilst a few MH new-interior 738s have been returned recently to their leasors
crackjack likes this.
Zawnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 7:50 am
  #51  
Accor Contributor BadgeRitz-Carlton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: EDI, CGK
Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,740
Originally Posted by Zawnet View Post



Yeah, the old-interior 738s are not that old but they are all leased and it seems that the interior was decided and chosen by the lessor with zero inputs from MH. The lessor appeared to have selected the most no-frills interior available - and MH probably picked up those planes because it needed some 738s fast and the lease rates are probably attractive enough that these planes remain in the fleet whilst a few MH new-interior 738s have been returned recently to their leasors
That makes a lot of sense Zawnet! Thanks for the insight.

But those planes are definitely really bad, especially in Y, with the Firefly-esque leather seats.
clubeurope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 19, 12:54 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: Enrich
Posts: 156
Yup, if you check on planespotter, you could find that there an early batch of B738 were supposedly lease to Hong Kong Airlines and Delta, but they either return or never take it. I believe MH management does found there is a huge number of complaint on those 'old' B738. Especially when you fly for 3 to 5 hours in Biz class but you get only a portable PTV in biz.... I had this experience when fly to Kathmandu, and it is not a good experience. I would not mind if they only use it between KUL and SIN since the route is too short for anything to become boring.
dici is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread