Search

Prague: Mandarin Oriental or Four Seasons

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Question Prague: Mandarin Oriental or Four Seasons

Hi everyone!

I will be traveling to Prague in June and can't make my mind between these two hotels!

The Mandarin Oriental is much newer, but the Four Seasons is cheaper!

Any suggestions or experiences with these two hotels?

Thanks!
Old May 11, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I've only done FS, but from what I hear, from several reasonably reliable friends and colleagues, FS is the preference.
Old May 11, 2008, 10:57 pm

Prague hotels

I have stayed at the FS and the Mandarin and much prefer the Mandarin. FS is good during the summer as the views of the Vltava River are sensational, but in the winter and spring, the Mandarin is by far the best. Great service, very intimate and close to all the sights. Worth dining, though at the FS Allegro restaurant, which just got a Michelin star - the first and only in the Eastern block.
Old May 12, 2008, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The FS was in need of a room refurb ... not sure if it got done or not. We had 3 days at the MO last August and can recommend it, although its not your typical MO - more of a boutique hotel. The real benefit is the location which has the genius of being totally off the tourist trail whilst being only 2 minutes from Charles Bridge.

If you're staying 4 nights I'd consider trying both as the MO only has one restaurant and you might get bored on a long stay. You can walk over the bridge from one to the other in 10 minutes.
Old May 12, 2008, 3:23 am

MO versus FS

Ah, but the FS only has one restaurant, too, although they do serve snacks in the bar.
FS is refurbishing building by building. The first is completed, together with the lobby and restaurant. They are now on the second phase - i.e. second building. The look remains very traditional at the FS, whereas the MO is contemporary in style. Also, FS has no spa, whereas MO has a large, accomplished spa.
Old May 12, 2008, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Worth dining, though at the FS Allegro restaurant, which just got a Michelin star - the first and only in the Eastern block.
Thanks for your input guys!

However, its funny that you bring up the Michelin rated stars in the Eastern block. Jeroboam at the Ritz-Carlton Moscow has a 3-star chef!
Old Nov 29, 2008, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Rather than start a new thread...

I'm about to either book the MO or the 4S for a Xmas stay [thank you BA miles sale!] and at the moment I'm leaning towards the MO as per the posts here.
We actually stayed at the 4S Prague a few years ago and liked it a lot.

[thanks also to the BA miles sale I have a new dillema for which I will start a new thread!]
Old Nov 30, 2008, 1:10 pm

I'm a Four Seasons fan, but I prefer the quiet neighborhood location of the MO. You feel very private and sequestered, but it is an easy walk to the bridge, castle, etc. There are a large variety of rooms and locations so don't be shy if the room you're assigned isn't to your liking. They made me an on-the-spot deal on a suite at a considerable savings. Their airport car service is very good. Breakfast was very good too. We ate lunch at the hotel one day (amenity of AmEx Fine Hotels program) which was served out on the deck (summer time) and was very enjoyable. Concierge recommended an excellent traditional restaurant a short walk behind the hotel. It was very good, except for the lack of a non-smoking area.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 1:53 pm

You can check pictures of the refurbished rooms ( Renaissance Rooms and FS Executive Suites) on the FS website. Still very traditional but a hundred times better than the original look.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:16 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
We stayed this past summer at the FS for four nights, but had lunch at the MO. We considerably preferred the location of the FS, and found the MO to be a bit isolated.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:24 am

As I have said here before, in Winter, the MO is the best option and in Summer, the FS, given the terrace dining and river views. So, the MO at Christmas would be just perfect.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
I just got back from FS in Prague few days ago. I have to say besides the cold weather in Prague. The hotel is in a good location and very good looking inside and out.

In two areas, not all rooms have flat TV screens, they still have old tube TV's. I asked management about it. They stated they will finished replacing the old TV's in the Spring. And in the other area was the main restaurant, service was great in the morning for breakfast, but for dinner. Service was not great, as a group of 7 people waiting for our meals from first course, to main course took too long.

FS knows that not everything gonna please everybody. Like any brand... there will be hits and misses.

-BondAir007
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:25 am

just booked the MO over Christmas week, stay 2 nights get 3rd free, seems to me like a pretty amazing deal.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Will be heading to Prague in September for 3 nights (first time, really looking forward to it). Most likely will book the FS, but was wondering if there is any significant differences between the "main building" and "Renaissance" building?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by socalduck
Will be heading to Prague in September for 3 nights (first time, really looking forward to it). Most likely will book the FS, but was wondering if there is any significant differences between the "main building" and "Renaissance" building?
FS comprises 3 buildings from different eras - Neo-Renaissance, Neo-Classical and Baroque, plus a fourth modern construction which helps join the three together. You can see the different architectural styles from the outside, but it is less obvious from the inside. What it does mean is that rooms and suites throughout the hotel vary considerably in size and shape. The hotel has been entirely refurbished now and one of the things they did was to give each historical style a more distinctive decor. Your main criteria would be to get a room with a view of the Vltava River, no matter what the decor!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.