Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Finally got a chance to stay at the Ritz in Tokyo. First on the hardware, the lobby, public spaces and the rooms are OK but I would say the Conrad is better. It does have a good view but there aren't as much to look at from Roppongi as opposed to Shiodome (from Conrad at the gardens) or Nihonbashi (from MO looking at other buildings). I don't personally like the color scheme especially the hallways which is a funny combination of blue and brownish gold. The rooms are definitely smaller than the Conrad and probably about the same as Grand Hyatt.

Didn't try the restaurants except for breakfast and that was OK. The Conrad has a really good b'fast buffet. The big plus for the Ritz is location and the pool. The location is the best out of all the Tokyo hotels for me. For those who like shopping, Seiyo or Conrad would be better but the Ritz is right at Roppongi crossing with tons of restaurants and bars close by. The swimming pool is the largest I have seen except for Park Hyatt and Okura. I think it is 20m long and 3 to 4 lanes wide. Hardly anyone uses the pool at the moment and it is great to get the pool all to myself.

The service is good and I have no problems with it. Only complaint is a pretty long line at check out but they worked through the line relatively quickly. All in all, a good stay and I will return given the location.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 4:46 pm

Thank you for your post. Would you mind posting what rate you paid and whether you had club access? Cheers, Incy.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good info ^

if they ate breakfast in the restaurant, id presume they didnt have a club room..
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Forgot the exact room type but it is the plain vanilla king size bed. Paid 36,500 yen++ per night.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Paid 36,500 yen++ per night.
was that a contract rate or did you negotiate?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:30 am
Community Director Emerita

HKTraveler, I really appreciate how you compared this to the Conrad. I've stayed at the Conrad, so now I have a visual idea of where the Ritz is better and when the Conrad is better. Thank you.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

That rate is comparable to the Grand Hyatt, and below what Park Hyatt and FS Maronouchi are getting. Kind of tells you where this RC is fitting in.
hugoagogo likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

especially interesting comparison to Conrad, with it OP giving it edge in rooms and breakfast.

wonder how RC club service/breakfast compares..

and actually Conrad has a club in Tokyo too doesnt it?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

Conrad has a very nice club which actually has a chef in the morning who prepares fresh eggs as you like.

The Conrad is a gorgeous hotel, and I like it very much. However, it is in the middle of an office area, with a fraction of the restaurants that the Ritz has within easy walking distance.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:48 am
Original Poster

It was a contract rate, wish I could negotiate that well!

I was originally booked at the Grand Hyatt. It was pretty full and the contract rate there was just a bit above Y50,000. Does't sound like the Ritz is doing that well in terms of either filling up the hotel or getting a good rate. Having said this, given the rate differences, I would pick the Ritz in a heart beat.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:23 am

Programs: SQ KF
Anyone stayed at this hotel recently? I'm interested in the Club floor and how it compares to the Conrad.

Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by tshep
Anyone stayed at this hotel recently? I'm interested in the Club floor and how it compares to the Conrad.

Thanks!
Bump! We are staying on the club level in Feb. Any new reports?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
I heard the standard rooms are on the smaller side. Do you agree?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RC 52m2
Pen 51m2
MO 50m2
Conrad 48m2
PH/FS Chinzan-so 45m2
FS Marunouchi 44m2
GH 42m2
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: UA
luxury tokyo for tourists

Picking up on this thread, I wonder what would be the best option for a young family of 4 over Christmas? It pains me to put the RC at the top of the list, but I don't see anything else. Peninsula I placed second. I am not comfortable with either. The fact that they are foreign chains bother me. Tokyo Midtown may have a big Christmas tree, but it is too close to Roppongi crossing for a wholesome family occasion. Is there really nothing better in Tokyo? Kind of like MO in HK or Bristol in Paris?

For me the locations of Conrad, PH, FS(M) and MO are all problematic for tourists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.