Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Old May 3, 2016, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by op487062
Sorry to hijack the thread, but what is the likelihood of RC Tokyo honoring what appears to be an error rate? I booked an Executive Suite in late October for 68k yen/nt for four nights (this is the going rate for a regular room).

If it is likely they will cancel, I'd prefer to stay at Mandarin.
Why not make a cancellable reservation at MO now, just in case R-C contacts you to cancel or to revise the rate. If R-C does not proactively contact you in advance, they cannot refuse to honor the reservation at the time of check-in.

Room to suite upgrades can happen at these hotels, so Ą68,000++/night is not necessarily unreasonable from the hotel's perspective, even though it is certainly a good deal.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; May 3, 2016 at 9:00 am
Old May 3, 2016, 8:32 am

That's a good idea, thanks Mike.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RC Tokyo
Executive Suite
68k yen/nt
before a rate increase in november 2014, rates ran Y80K to Y120K

could always confirm rates with management in advance
or right before cancellation period for other hotels booked
Old May 4, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Sorry to hijack the thread, but what is the likelihood of RC Tokyo honoring what appears to be an error rate? I booked an Executive Suite in late October for 68k yen/nt for four nights (this is the going rate for a regular room).

If it is likely they will cancel, I'd prefer to stay at Mandarin.
I'm not sure this is an error rate that they wouldn't honor. They are still getting significant revenue.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

68k yen/nt for four nights
also works out to Y90K/nt if one free night or other offer

not sure how often RC has free night, including via agency
RC tokyo / kyoto FHR 4th nt free though august for example
4th nt free club http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels...fers/treat-you
15% off prepaid http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels...rly-experience
Old May 4, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by JohnRain
I second that, having just stayed at the Ritz-Carlton and visited the Andaz.
Third this.

I stayed at both during my week in Tokyo. I think I wrote about both hotels a few pages back.
Old May 19, 2016, 5:27 pm

So how is the concierge at Andaz? Any experience?
I typically stay at Four Seasons because Misato is awesome and gets the best sushi reservation, including Saito.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15
So how is the concierge at Andaz? Any experience?
I typically stay at Four Seasons because Misato is awesome and gets the best sushi reservation, including Saito.
Surprisingly there is no concierge at Andaz. The front desk team can make your sushi reservations instead.

I can't comment on results for things like sushi reservations, since I do all of that myself in Tokyo.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Surprisingly there is no concierge at Andaz. The front desk team can make your sushi reservations instead.

I can't comment on results for things like sushi reservations, since I do all of that myself in Tokyo.
Interesting.

I need to learn some more Japanese to make the reservations then.

Does the front desk respond to emails, etc?
Old May 19, 2016, 7:28 pm

Interesting.

I need to learn some more Japanese to make the reservations then.

Does the front desk respond to emails, etc?
Maybe others can comment, also in the Hyatt forum.

I have never done any emailing with them, but from what I heard they seem to be responsive. FSM is a boutique hotel with very personalized service, so you should not expect quite the same at Andaz.

It's a good idea to use hotel Concierge for reservations. The only reason I do not is that I have my favorite restaurant on speed dial, and they instantly know who I am when I call.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Maybe others can comment, also in the Hyatt forum.

I have never done any emailing with them, but from what I heard they seem to be responsive. FSM is a boutique hotel with very personalized service, so you should not expect quite the same at Andaz.

It's a good idea to use hotel Concierge for reservations. The only reason I do not is that I have my favorite restaurant on speed dial, and they instantly know who I am when I call.
Ha. You left out the most important part... What restaurant?
Old May 20, 2016, 6:34 am

I'm sadly just finishing up a trip to Japan, stayed 5 nights at MO Tokyo and 4 nights at RC Kyoto. I'll try to post a trip report when I'm back home, but some brief thoughts:

MO Tokyo
- Extremely impressed from our stay, will definitely go back in future trips to Tokyo.
- Found the service to be the real differentiator. Hard to put it into words, but whilst there was absolutely nothing wrong with the service at RC Kyoto (indeed, if I needed to ask for something, it was done promptly and never needed asking again) we found the MO Tokyo was on another level.
- Whilst staff were extremely attentive, it also managed to have a warm feel about the place and it always felt homely and never pretentious. I didn't have to make any requests because they seemed to anticipate our needs.
- Things such as the breakfast staff welcoming us by name after the first day and remembering our drink preferences, being amazing with our 10mo little girl, having all of our concierge hotel reservations printed out with the address in Japanese to show the taxi driver and a map if using subway, being asked if we would like turndown service earlier due to our little girl going to bed earlier etc.
- Booked through David O and on top of the Fan Club benefits, they also supplied us with MO branded PASMO cards which we could top up if needed, but pretty much covered all of our subway travel.

An overall great experience (and loved Tokyo - already planning our next trip).
Old May 25, 2016, 5:08 pm

I'll be at four seasons in a few weeks. I'm friends with the concierge and actually met her in San Diego for lunch. She brought me green tea kit Kats but now I'm struggling to figure out what to bring in return. Any suggestions?
Old May 25, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I'll be at four seasons in a few weeks. I'm friends with the concierge and actually met her in San Diego for lunch. She brought me green tea kit Kats but now I'm struggling to figure out what to bring in return. Any suggestions?
Mary's Gone Crackers?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:24 am

We may be heading back to Tokyo for a few nights in November and have just been having a look at hotels to get an idea of rates. We absolutely loved our stay at MO - were blown away by the service. So will either go back there or try somewhere different for a change to see how it compares!

Does anybody know if mid-late November is a peak period for Tokyo hotels? The current prices are reasonably expensive. Not sure whether to book now or risk waiting until closer to the date when prices often go down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.