Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I know it's not on your list, but I stayed at the Adlon a few years back and quite loved it. Stylish rooms and a very comfortable bed, and even though the only historic thing about it is the name, I was a bit intrigued by even taht tenuous connection with its past. And I liked being on top of the Brandenburg Gate. My only quarrel with them was that they returned a pair of man's shoes instead of the considerably daintier woman's ones I'd left outside my door for polishing. It was eventually fixed, but I did not think they handled it that well.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I felt the opposite, that the Adlonwas perhaps the mostover-rated and overhyped hotel I'd ever stayed in. I found it very unremarkable.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 4:19 am

I do not know if this has been mentioned before but the General Manager of the Regent is the former General Manager of Burj Al Arab, the Dorchester, and has had over forty years in the hotel business. He worked with Bob Burns in founding the Regent hotel group.

The Regent also has a good weekend rate package.

Last edited by Nachria; Jan 26, 2007 at 4:27 am
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:40 pm

^
Originally Posted by German Expat
I like the Ritz and would select it.
I stayed at the Marriott next door a couple of years ago (free with Marriott Rewards). But we did stop by to check it out. It is right next to the Sony Center as well as next to a subway stop. It is also very close to Checkpoint Charley and lots of other stuff.

Very good location.

We really liked it when we went in - would definately stay there if we go back to Berlin
Old Feb 4, 2007, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies!

We stayed in the end at the RC...

It was wonderful. THe service was superb, the rooms were fine (though not spectacular). The club facilities were lovely - though the food was nothing special....

It is certainly not a modern style hotel but I think it was the best choice given the service levels.

Thanks again for all the help!!!
Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:37 pm

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.
Thumbs down Not the Palace Hotel Berlin

I realised the OP has already visited Berlin, but just for the record, as I returned from Berlin tonite, I wanted to advise others that I would not recommend the Palace Hotel Berlin if you're looking for a luxury hotel. We chose it based on it being a LHW...but I have NO IDEA how it makes the cut. It is basically comparable to a decent Radisson or Sheraton, but no more.

Have stayed at the Adlon in the past, which we quite liked (went there for tea today as we like the atmosphere)...would return to Adlon or try the Brandenberger Hof next time I think.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:34 pm
In memoriam

We're in Munich now - but we just finished a 7 night stay at the RC in Berlin. We booked the room ourselves. The rate was 325 euros/night for a club floor room (except for our first night - a Saturday - which was a special event rate of 405 euros/night because there was a soccer championship in Berlin that day). We don't stay in Ritz Carltons too often these days because I smoke and you can't smoke in RCs in North America.

We enjoyed the hotel a lot. The room was typical RC - but fairly large. Very comfortable for 2 people for a week (I'm more interested in "creature comforts" than decor when I travel). I thought the club floor was an exceptional value. For starters - drinks are included - everything from wine and beer - including champagne - to spirits. I like gin and tonic - and they are 14 euros in the hotel bar. Figure out how much you drink - and do the math . Second - especially with our jet lag (we were hungry at odd times - and my husband and I were hungry at different times) - we appreciated the food presentations. Not full meals (except for breakfast) - but enough a lot of the time. And the food was good - and tastefully presented.

The staff at the hotel was excellent. Informed and friendly. And both restaurants (one is casual and one is formal) were excellent too. We had dinner at the formal restaurant - Vitrum - one night - and thought it deserved 2 Michelin stars - not the 1 it had. We had lunch one day at the casual restaurant with a friend who has a small child. Lunch was tasty (and a relative bargain - 2 courses for 19 euros) - and the staff was good in terms of helping us deal with the baby.

Overall - I give this hotel a big thumbs up.

I have one caveat though. This hotel seems to be getting more popular. It was 100% booked the Sunday morning we arrived. For those of you coming in on early morning long-haul international flights - you may have to book a "red eye arrival" - and pay for an extra night to insure that your room is available at 8 am (we did that and I am glad we did - I was ready to take a shower and sleep for 4 hours at 8 am). Robyn
Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:42 am

Programs: A3 Gold,
Here's another vote for the RC Berlin. I too generally prefer a modern style and the RC is ornate to the point of absurdity -- but it works. On my first stay I got an inward-facing room with no view which was somewhat claustrophobic. On my second visit I got a much better room with a spectacular view of the future-scape of Potsdamer Platz which made a big difference. The rooms are admittedly "foofy" but very comfortable. Nice touches in the bathroom include a neck pillow and votive candles in the tub. The snacks in the Club are adequate but it's hard to construct a real meal out of them. The staff in the Club are excellent and enthusiastic. Nice lobby bar as well.

I had a drink in the Hotel de Rome bar and found it somewhat cold and depressing. The lobby of the Regent feels like a mausoleum. Next visit I might try the Radisson which is obviously not at the RC level of luxe but I like the location and the lobby aquarium thing is pretty cool.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:41 am

Programs: SPG Gold,Amex Cent,IC RA,HH Diamond,Marriott Gold,Hyatt Dia,LH FTL,CX Diam,FB Plat
Originally Posted by JFKSYD2004
Here's another vote for the RC Berlin. I too generally prefer a modern style and the RC is ornate to the point of absurdity -- but it works. On my first stay I got an inward-facing room with no view which was somewhat claustrophobic. On my second visit I got a much better room with a spectacular view of the future-scape of Potsdamer Platz which made a big difference. The rooms are admittedly "foofy" but very comfortable. Nice touches in the bathroom include a neck pillow and votive candles in the tub. The snacks in the Club are adequate but it's hard to construct a real meal out of them. The staff in the Club are excellent and enthusiastic. Nice lobby bar as well.

I had a drink in the Hotel de Rome bar and found it somewhat cold and depressing. The lobby of the Regent feels like a mausoleum. Next visit I might try the Radisson which is obviously not at the RC level of luxe but I like the location and the lobby aquarium thing is pretty cool.
Did you ever try the Hyatt?Nice clubfloor rooms.Concerning the Radisson,it really isn`t spectacular,but if you like to watch fishes...
On our visit,they led us to a breakfast room on sunday morning,filled up with lots of loud tourists.On our way back to the room we found out that there was another very nice breakfast room for "paying guests".So be careful to use the right breakfast place.
Although being RA at IC,my preferred hotel is the RC.Wonderful bathrooms and excellent staff.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:36 am
In memoriam

Other nice touches in the bathroom are 2 sinks - and a little step/shelf in the shower. The little step might not mean much to a guy - but if you're a woman and you've ever tried to shave your legs in a stall shower...

As for making a "real meal" on the club floor - you can - assuming you can make do with a salad - some bread and cheese - amuse courses - and dessert. That was quite enough for me on the days we ate large lunches (easy to do in Germany!). Robyn
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSYD2004
The lobby of the Regent feels like a mausoleum.
I do not know what mausoleums you have been that are like the Regent Berlin's lobby. In my opinion, it is the classiest lobby in Berlin.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:58 pm

I've stayed at the Marriott several times in Berlin and it's a notch above most - modern and very well managed. I've also stayed at the Hyatt which is nice - but overpriced and the Swissotel which is a good value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.