Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Oh, Trisara is my favourite!! It is one of the best resorts in the world and the ocean front pool villas are so well designed that you feel the room is reading your mind. The food here is exceptional.

They just did a new interior restaurant and made a new bar deck - constantly upgrading.
Really?
I had heard the service here was really hit an miss- if this is not the case I will go there for a few days...
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:19 am

Trisara

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Really?
I had heard the service here was really hit an miss- if this is not the case I will go there for a few days...
When the resort first opened, they certainly had problems, but I have stayed there twice now and both occasions were superb in every way.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:31 am

2 week Aman stay

Hello all

The amount of first class knowledge on this board is amazing, although also slightly overwhelming!! So, apologies if this topic has been partially answered before (which it sort of has been), but I wanted to get a fresh and up-to-date perspective....

We have 2 1/2 weeks holiday in MAY and wanted to spend this solely in Aman hotels.

Where shall we go??!

We would like a mixture of sunshine, culture and beach, and to avoid too much rain and, if possible, the most heavily "mosquitoed" resorts (my partner suffers terribly when bitten).

Budget is (within reason) unlimited, and we are generally more than happy to stay in the entry level rooms (and then hopefully apply Virtuoso benefits). We would be travelling from Europe.

I guess one fairly obvious choice would be the Bali Amans - they still seem to be up to scratch going on reports here, although there are a few negative comments. If we did go for Bali, what nearby Aman add-ons would you suggest? And, what about any alternatives to the Bali idea?

Many thanks in advance for all your advice!

Bigmerv
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:04 am

Aman Bali

Originally Posted by bigmerv
Hello all

The amount of first class knowledge on this board is amazing, although also slightly overwhelming!! So, apologies if this topic has been partially answered before (which it sort of has been), but I wanted to get a fresh and up-to-date perspective....

We have 2 1/2 weeks holiday in MAY and wanted to spend this solely in Aman hotels.

Where shall we go??!

We would like a mixture of sunshine, culture and beach, and to avoid too much rain and, if possible, the most heavily "mosquitoed" resorts (my partner suffers terribly when bitten).

Budget is (within reason) unlimited, and we are generally more than happy to stay in the entry level rooms (and then hopefully apply Virtuoso benefits). We would be travelling from Europe.

I guess one fairly obvious choice would be the Bali Amans - they still seem to be up to scratch going on reports here, although there are a few negative comments. If we did go for Bali, what nearby Aman add-ons would you suggest? And, what about any alternatives to the Bali idea?

Many thanks in advance for all your advice!

Bigmerv
Just did a big return visit to all the Amans in Indonesia and they are even more sensational. They are all so different that you should really stay in all five.

Start at Amanjiwo in Java (fly from Singapore to Solo). Spend 3 nights here, then fly from Yogyakarta (slightly nearer than Solo) to Denpasar, Bali and stay at Amandari, followed by Amankila. Then get the Aman seaplane from Denpasar to Moyo island and stay at least 3 nights at Amanwana, then get the seaplane back to Denpasar and finish your trip at Amanusa. HEAVEN!!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what about amanjiwo/amanwana + amanpulo ?

only minuses about amanpulo are transfer and private pools are more expensive.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
what about amanjiwo/amanwana + amanpulo ?

only minuses about amanpulo are transfer and private pools are more expensive.
That's a lot of flying, Kage, whereas the Indonesian Amans are all within easy reach. Amanpulo means flying to Manila then connecting to the plane to Pamalican.

I heard that there is a package called something like Classic, which links Amanjiwo with Amanwana - rather a nice contrast.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:21 am

Wow, thanks both of you for the ultra-quick responses.

Couple of follow up questions for Vuittons...:

1. You mentioned 3 night stays in two of the resorts; what is a good amount of time to spend in the others?

2. I'm pretty sure that May is a good time to visit, right?

3. How did you find the various hotels for mozzies?

4. Finally, is there any one of the 5 hotels that you really think is unmissable, should timing mean we have to dump one of them?

Thanks again.
Bigmerv
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:59 am

unmissable amanjiwo

4. Finally, is there any one of the 5 hotels that you really think is unmissable, should timing mean we have to dump one of them

Amanjiwo is unmissable and you should spend at least three days there if not more. Spending time in Java is really seeing Indonesia and there is so much to do at Amanjiwo.
If Denpasar is easier for you then start at Amanusa to recover from any jet lag, the beach is great. Its also great to end your trip here either by using the hotel during the day till your plane leaves in the evening or spending the last night here. After spending two weeks at the 5 Amans they will most likly give you the room for day use and not charge you for it.
You need at least three nights at Amanwana.
I would book 2 nights at Amanusa, then 3 at Amanjiwo,3 nights at Amandari,3nights at Amankila,( if you can spend the money on the helicopter from the pad at Kila to Amanwana do it) 3 nights at Amanwana, and then spend the last day at Amanusa either for the day or over night. There you have two full weeks plus the you will need the other days for travel from your home base.
I have been in Indonesia in May and there was still a good amount of sun but the staff said the dry season still had not come. I think these hotels are great in the rain or sun.
No problem with Mozzies, just keep the doors closed and the room like an ice box.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'm still writing an FT Trip Report on my year-end 2008 trip to Southeast Asia, which included seven glorious nights at amanjiwo over Christmas. Loved the resort, and you can read all about why in my TR. As much as I enjoyed Central Java, though, I am more eager to go back to Bali. amanjiwo was our first Amanresort ever. We're already booked in to amandari for Christmas 2009.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:56 am

Indonesian Amans

1. You mentioned 3 night stays in two of the resorts; what is a good amount of time to spend in the others?

4. Finally, is there any one of the 5 hotels that you really think is unmissable, should timing mean we have to dump one of them?

Thanks again.
Bigmerv
For a 2-week break, I would spend 3 nights at Amanjiwo, 3 nights at Amanwana, 4 nights at Amankila, 2 nights at Amandari and 2 nights at Amanusa. If you run short of time, cut Amanusa to 1 night and Amankila to 3 nights.

May is a very good time to visit as the rainy season finishes properly at the end of April these days (it used to be end of March, but things have changed).

I rarely get bitten by mosquitoes as I take a hefty Vitamin B complex supplement, so they don't like the taste of me! However, you are more likely to find mosquitoes at Amanwana, in my experience. Bali is pretty good, but then, if you are prone to getting bitten, then Asia per se could be a problem.

If you had to leave out one resort then maybe Amanusa, although this has the best beach of them all, so maybe not! Hard to choose as they are all so wonderful. Go for longer!!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:05 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Amans in Bali, Amanpuri,Trisara

Thanks again.
Bigmerv
Preferably at least 3 nights each..
May is fine but June is better..
It's " OK " for mozzies but repellants, etc are provided. You are in the tropics!

Someone mentioned Trisara, have been there many times including the 2-bedroom ocean front.. Service can be patchy..they try hard but also depends if the staff is fairly new.

I have some posts on Amanpuri too.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:20 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I'm still writing an FT Trip Report on my year-end 2008 trip to Southeast Asia, which included seven glorious nights at amanjiwo over Christmas. Loved the resort, and you can read all about why in my TR. As much as I enjoyed Central Java, though, I am more eager to go back to Bali. amanjiwo was our first Amanresort ever. We're already booked in to amandari for Christmas 2009.
FANTASTIC report. Thanks so much, Megatop! Really makes me miss Amanjiwo (and the jasmine).
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Ericka
FANTASTIC report. Thanks so much, Megatop! Really makes me miss Amanjiwo (and the jasmine).
Thank you for your support. And thank you for your own TR about amanjiwo. That is what assured me that we could spend a week there without getting bored.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:25 pm

Thank you all for your help, and for the great Trip Report. I will let you know what we end up doing in a couple of months.

Cheers
Bigmerv
Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:02 am

Programs: some
Whatever 'configuration' you go for, you'll have a fab time! Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.