Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Southern Islands of Japan? Tropical/Beach Luxury?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Is there anything destination worthy around the southern tip of Japan; preferably a small beach front property that's easily accessible from NRT or Haneda? Not interested in the sprawling family style golf resorts and big chains in Okinawa; looking for something more akin to a high-end boutique ryokan but in an exclusive and tropical ocean-front setting.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:28 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by OliverB
Is there anything destination worthy around the southern tip of Japan; preferably a small beach front property that's easily accessible from NRT or Haneda? Not interested in the sprawling family style golf resorts and big chains in Okinawa; looking for something more akin to a high-end boutique ryokan but in an exclusive and tropical ocean-front setting.
I looked earlier and all I could really find was Jusandi but it looks great!

Fdw
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks but I find it a bit manicured and sterile for my taste personally. For the cost, it feels like too much of a compromise based on the limited options in Japan rather than an end point destination that I'd consider coming from outside of the country. I think I'm going to have to reconsider my criteria. Perhaps a city destination instead. We only have 3-4 nights and I'd like to find an easy flight from Tokyo that offers a nice contrast and something different from our two weeks in the city. Given the time frame, I figured a beach destination would be best suited, but I think I'm going to switch gears as there's not much short of flying to Thailand or Indonesia, which is too costly and ambitious for the short time allotted.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

As an aside, does anyone have any experience with "Wasurenosato Gajoen" (Relais & Chateaux/Ryokan Collection) in Kirishima-shi, Kagoshima Prefecture? Also curious about Asaba in Izu-shi, Shizuoka-ken.

Last edited by OliverB; Jun 30, 2016 at 8:59 pm
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:08 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Thanks but I find it a bit manicured and sterile for my taste personally. For the cost, it feels like too much of a compromise based on the limited options in Japan rather than an end point destination that I'd consider coming from outside of the country. I think I'm going to have to reconsider my criteria. Perhaps a city destination instead. We only have 3-4 nights and I'd like to find an easy flight from Tokyo that offers a nice contrast and something different from our two weeks in the city. Given the time frame, I figured a beach destination would be best suited, but I think I'm going to switch gears as there's not much short of flying to Thailand or Indonesia, which is too costly and ambitious for the short time allotted.
That was our problem as well... Amanemu didn't look like some place we wanted to spend 3-4 nights either.. we couldn't find a relaxing place for the end of a Japan trip...

FDW
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:42 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Yakushima

Have you considered Yakushima? It's a UNESCO-designated island, mainly for its ancient forest, which supposedly inspired the setting in Princess Mononoke.

Sankara Hotel & Spa Yakushima is the only luxury option in Yakushima. Haven't been there myself yet, but I'm eager to check it out in the near future.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:09 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Did you do a search? The best option in that part of the country is probably the Hoshinoya on Taketomi island off the coast of Ishigaki.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ght-tokyo.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...awa-japan.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...e-islands.html
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

I have looked into Yakushima and I've long wanted to explore the Kagoshima peninsula, but it's a bit of a hassle to reach and requires a bit more time than I want to spend on this coming trip; at least to do it properly as I intend to one day! I'd like to fly into Fukuoka and spend a couple of days (I have a friend in the city) before driving down to Minamioguni-machi in Kumamoto for a night at Takefue ryokan, then continue along to Wasurenosato Gajoen in Kirishima (Kagoshima Pref) and take the ferry to Yakoshima Island for a couple of nights. From what I recall from my research a few years ago (when I first began exploring Kagoshima as a potential add-on to my travels across Honshu) I discovered a picturesque albeit rustic and historic lodge set in the middle of the rain forest, which I would want to stay at when I eventually make the trip. I think I've decided to stick nearby Tokyo this time around. I just wrote to my contact at Boutique JTB requesting info for Asaba ryokan in Izu-shi, Shizuoka (approx. 50 mins by shinkansen from Tokyo Station) for next fall, as it's the one property that I really wanted to make it to on our last trip but never got around to. No point in wasting time and money on destinations that I wouldn't otherwise consider just to be by the ocean when we could do a lot better elsewhere.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Did you do a search? The best option in that part of the country is probably the Hoshinoya on Taketomi island off the coast of Ishigaki.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ght-tokyo.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...awa-japan.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...e-islands.html

Thanks, I did explore all of those options but I can't say that I was inspired by anything I saw.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:56 am

How about this:-

http://www.slh.com/hotels/the-shigira/

Or this:-

http://www.resort-renn.jp/index-1.html
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:29 am

Check out hoshinoya Okinawa. that is pretty good.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I know I'm a tough customer, but neither really speak to me. The SLH is too Boca Raton golf resorty. The Japanese boutique property is difficult to get a feel of, but from what I see on TripAdvisor, it just seems to lack "soul", for lack of a better description.

I've looked into Hoshinoya as well, which I understand is rated highly. It's all a bit too manicured and suburban looking. I realize that it's supposed to represent traditional Okinawan dwellings with the clay tiles roofs and stone walls, but it just feels like a tract housing development to me. I don't know, maybe I just can't find what I'm looking for in Japan.

I also worry that we'll get bored in late-November, as it's not exactly the season for beach activities or snorkeling. Has anyone on the forum actually been to Hoshinoya and if so, could you please describe what an average day was like on the island? What were the nighttime options like and how conveniently situated is the area to restaurants and local shops and culture? Also, what;s the ideal amount of time to spend on the island; 2-4 nights?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I've never been to a resort property with outstanding service anywhere in Japan.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:56 pm

I know I'm a tough customer, but neither really speak to me. The SLH is too Boca Raton golf resorty. The Japanese boutique property is difficult to get a feel of, but from what I see on TripAdvisor, it just seems to lack "soul", for lack of a better description.

I've looked into Hoshinoya as well, which I understand is rated highly. It's all a bit too manicured and suburban looking. I realize that it's supposed to represent traditional Okinawan dwellings with the clay tiles roofs and stone walls, but it just feels like a tract housing development to me. I don't know, maybe I just can't find what I'm looking for in Japan.

I also worry that we'll get bored in late-November, as it's not exactly the season for beach activities or snorkeling. Has anyone on the forum actually been to Hoshinoya and if so, could you please describe what an average day was like on the island? What were the nighttime options like and how conveniently situated is the area to restaurants and local shops and culture? Also, what;s the ideal amount of time to spend on the island; 2-4 nights?
This post seems very contradictory. At first you mention the SLH is too "Boca Raton" but then you say Hoshinoya seems manicured. Hoshinoya is built to blend in with the local buildings; so it feels more like a ryokan then proper hotel. This is completely fine though, Hoshinoyo is completely full service, 2x daily cleaning, etc.

I have been to Hoshinoya and RC. The RC was AWFUL, too far from the snorkeling and scuba boat slips (over 2 hours). The advantage to RC is some rooms have a very tiny private pool, which came in handy. That being said, Hoshinoyo was a lot better location (beach, diving, town, etc).

As far as average day ....completely depends on what you want to do. If you want to dive/snorkel, that takes 3-4 hours. Then you can go to beach, relax in room, etc.

I recommend Hoshinoyo. But if you want massive architecture, grand grounds, etc, this isn't it. You can spend 3 nights here and be done with it all. If you want to go crazy with snorkeling, diving then you can head to the Keramas (can get from Okinawa - 1 hr). the mainland Okinawa snorkeling/dving sucks, but Karema is AMAZING. This takes 2 hours round trip, and there are so many sites there it would take weeks to explore them all.

Chec out reef encounters, I used them 2x. Great people.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
http://www.cntraveller.com/recommend...el-renn,-japan

Hotel Renn is a handsome, all-white hideaway that is a favoured escape of Japanese creatives. There are only three bedrooms, set on angled stilts, each with a balcony looking towards the ocean. Staying here feels like sleeping inside a picture frame, and you can hear the waves as you lie in bed. Interiors are simple; there are no TVs or pool (ruled out by the feng shui master), just a panoramic roof terrace beneath a dome of stars. Owner Renn Hokazono and his wife Minami are full of advice on how to make the most of this storybook island. His mother, Sueko, cooks a mini-banquet breakfast featuring pumpkin soup and buckwheat galettes.
Private Resort Hotel Renn, Miyako Island, Japan. Doubles from about Ł130
http://www.kadoguchi.net/english/gallery.html
Located in a slope land with a splendid view of East China Sea and the coastline of Miyako Island, one of Sakishima Islands, Okinawa, the building is a lodging and a personal house. The site is about 2314㎡ (700 tsubo), seperated to two parts: lodging and residential building by linear programming. Around the building is a 200mm deep lotus pound, where the owner's favorite lotus flowers bloom beautifully. The promenade of the garden guides the guests to the lodging building. All of the guests who finished check in can enjoy the fabulous scenery of shining East China Sea from their guest rooms. Atmosphere here may be like a conversation between woods and the lotus pond around the building and the sea. Continuousness of natural scenery was born and makes the guests feel comfortable in their trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.