Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong: FS, Ritz, or Penn?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
Hong Kong: FS, Ritz, or Penn?

Not my first visit to HK, but decided to burn a pair of UA upgrade certs on a last minute splurge. I have the option of (in order of price):

(a) Harbor view club room at the FS;
(b) Deluxe Victoria hrb view suite at Ritz (with club access);
(c) Harbor view at Penn (tower - breakfast incl).

Price is pretty close, but FS is the cheapest via an AMEX deal. My recollection is that the FS club is nice and rooms are ok but not special. I haven't stayed at the Penn since the update, but it's a good location (although no club). I haven't stayed at the Ritz - though it appears to have good connections to HKG via express train.

I hope to use the spa (old, aching bones) - hence these three choices. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Aloha!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:48 pm

FS, especially at Club or Suite level. One of my favorite city hotels in the world. The Pen is also a great option, but I prefer FS personally. I'd avoid R-C at all costs.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by scented
FS, especially at Club or Suite level. One of my favorite city hotels in the world. The Pen is also a great option, but I prefer FS personally. I'd avoid R-C at all costs.
What's so wrong with the Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong, would be interesting to hear more about your insights/experiences at this property?

Thanks & Safe Travels. ^
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:16 pm

I prefer the location of the FS to Ritz myself, but Ritz has a super awesome view. It just depends where you want to be, both are good hotels.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA; The Peninsula
I prefer the Peninsula.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by Peninsula
I prefer the Peninsula.
Reading your Flyertalk name as Peninsula, you met my expectation.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:22 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I would choose the Pen or FS myself with the FS edging out the Pen ever so slightly. Here is why:

I think the RC has declined significantly in terms of service and amenities in the last 18 months. Service levels in the Club, to the quality of their offerings, have declined.

There are a lot of gawking tourists coming to the RC and they seem to be catering to a more mass tourist crowd there.

The Peninsula also have gawking tourists but it is handled there much better than at the RC. The new rooms are stunning -- very much like a private plane or yacht -- and the views are incredible. Service is great and dining options numerous. Lunch at Spring Moon is a treat and the hotel's dim sum making course is a lot of fun. Gorgeous pool area with the views to die for. Tin Lung Heen is also a very nice restaurant for lunch. Remember to book through a Pen Club TA as you can get flexible check-in and check-out and complimentary 30 minute extensions on certain paid 50 minute spa treatments!

I prefer the FS ever so slightly more than the Pen for its location. Very convenient to a lot more, for me, and connected to both IFC Mall and Hong Kong station making getting around easy. Rooms are large and comfortable -- but with only 9 or so rooms per floor, the hotel still feels intimate. The Club is excellent and the service there is impeccable. The view from the FS is nice too -- especially watching the light show on the ICC (RC tower). Dim sum is a treat at Lung King Heen and their peking duck is quite spectacular, especially with their duck fried rice second course.

One thing is the view is always contingent upon the weather. I was lucky that whenever I am at RC I have had gorgeous weather so the view is outstanding. Same with the Pen. I have also had times where it has rained so much that I could not see the neighbouring buildings.

Enjoy your trip to HKG!!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I was very happy with my stay at the FS. The Club is great and many resorts don´t offer such a pool-area. Depends what you expect from a "special" room, but for me my suite was special enough. Didn´t visit RC, only visited Pen lobby. While it´s nice many tourists visit the place (including me) so I didn´t like the atmosphere.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:58 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I've been to HKG a couple of times and my favorite thus far was the W with a nice suite upgrade (former SPG plat). The entrance to the Pen and the pool are nice, but pretty meh for me. I suspect that anyone who wants to be coddled would be disappointed.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by uggboy
What's so wrong with the Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong, would be interesting to hear more about your insights/experiences at this property?

Thanks & Safe Travels. ^
First, it's a R-C, add that it is a landmark building with tons of tourist traffic, with very patchy service recently and some cut-backs. It cannot even be compared to FS or Pen, which are in an entirely different league and are amongst the most successful in their group. Both FS and Pen have a history of excellent service reputation and are frequently hailed as some of the best city hotels in the world. I would agree though that the hard product is one of the better ones in the R-C chain.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 8, 2016 at 10:11 am
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I love the Pen, but hate being on the Kowloon side.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
The RC is a zoo.Hundreds of people milling around and absolutely no feel of a luxury hotel. Add to that its location and I too would avoid at all costs.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:28 pm

The RC is out of the way.

If going on holiday, you will not go wrong with either the FS or Pen.

The FS is more business like and convenient to shopping. The Pen more character. If you stay at the Pen, take the Star ferry over to the HK side.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
Our favorit is the Upper House. Second comes the Four Seasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.