Reload this Page >

Hong Kong: FS, Ritz, or Penn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong: FS, Ritz, or Penn?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by htang333
Just posted a review of my recent visit to the Pen...Spoiler alert! I still love it!

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...-far-east-1504

Also on:http://www.besvisor.com/blog/2016/7/...sula-hong-kong
Curious to know, how much is the cost of a Rolls Royce transfer?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:01 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Curious to know, how much is the cost of a Rolls Royce transfer?
I believe one way is 1,600 HKD and roundtrip is 2,900 HKD
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I believe one way is 1,600 HKD and roundtrip is 2,900 HKD
Thanks for the reply. This is about the only major luxury hotel in HK left that I have yet to try. Is there any truth to the rumours that the staff at the Peninsula can be quite snobbish and indifferent to guests unless one is decked out in bling? Any restrictive dress codes? Was the service personalised during your stay?

Last edited by BENLEE; Jul 19, 2016 at 8:39 am
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:49 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Smile

Thanks for the reply. This is about the only major luxury hotel in HK left that I have yet to try. Is there any truth to the rumours that the staff at the Peninsula can be quite snobbish and indifferent to guests unless one is decked out in bling? Any restrictive dress codes? Was the service personalised during your stay?
My pleasure!

No, I didn't feel that the staff was snobbish at all. The concierge was extremely friendly as well except for one member that I encountered briefly and seemed a bit arrogant to me. But mostly, it was very pleasant. People smiled and were eager to assist when needed. Nothing over the top, either. It wasn't like flying in Singapore Airlines' First Class

If you want to know more, I'd be happy to share more thoughts/details.

Cheers,
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by speedbird001
The RC is out of the way.

If going on holiday, you will not go wrong with either the FS or Pen.

The FS is more business like and convenient to shopping. The Pen more character. If you stay at the Pen, take the Star ferry over to the HK side.
I know a lot of folks who went to HK and never took the Star Ferry. Can't understand...
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
I love the FS Hong Kong. The Club there is truly stupendous. Can't find many where they pour Ruinart champagne all day long! That is a treat in such gorgeous surroundings. Love staying on the HK side as just so much more within walking distance. Of course the Pen does have a special flair, but don't think the pool compares to the FS, personally. FS is much more like tropical resort, which is definitely my preference. Loved it.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:33 pm

My pleasure!

No, I didn't feel that the staff was snobbish at all. The concierge was extremely friendly as well except for one member that I encountered briefly and seemed a bit arrogant to me. But mostly, it was very pleasant. People smiled and were eager to assist when needed. Nothing over the top, either. It wasn't like flying in Singapore Airlines' First Class

If you want to know more, I'd be happy to share more thoughts/details.

Cheers,
Thanks! May try out in next trip. Due to slowdown, a lot of bargains to be had now for HK.

Originally Posted by oneworld82
I know a lot of folks who went to HK and never took the Star Ferry. Can't understand...
First trip to HK definitely for the novelty factor. But after that, why? Subway is more convenient.

Originally Posted by kingsroadgal
I love the FS Hong Kong. The Club there is truly stupendous. Can't find many where they pour Ruinart champagne all day long! That is a treat in such gorgeous surroundings. Love staying on the HK side as just so much more within walking distance. Of course the Pen does have a special flair, but don't think the pool compares to the FS, personally. FS is much more like tropical resort, which is definitely my preference. Loved it.
I have 2 problems with the FSHK. First, they haven't done a serious renovation for ages and the physical product is already starting to show it's age and lag behind competition after 10 years. Second, I encountered disappointing service issues with the hotel and haven't gone back for 2 years. Most of the old staff have left and it's starting to deteriorate ever since they change their GM. Now my primary hotel in HK is actually the LMO.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I have 2 problems with the FSHK. First, they haven't done a serious renovation for ages and the physical product is already starting to show it's age and lag behind competition after 10 years. Second, I encountered disappointing service issues with the hotel and haven't gone back for 2 years. Most of the old staff have left and it's starting to deteriorate ever since they change their GM. Now my primary hotel in HK is actually the LMO.
Last year my Suite was in a good condition and service top notch. Was greeted by GM, very pleasant experience.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:17 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by kingsroadgal
That's the first time I've ever heard of FS Hong Kong described as a 'tropical resort'. I can't think of a more business-like luxury hotel in Hong Kong.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thanks! May try out in next trip. Due to slowdown, a lot of bargains to be had now for HK.

First trip to HK definitely for the novelty factor. But after that, why? Subway is more convenient.

Not too sure about the bargains at MOHK or TUH though .

Subway has no view unlike Star Ferry :-: , pun intended . Only thing is , now the " cruise " is too short across the harbour . Now closer to FS but farther from MOHK / LMO .
Same to Pen on Kowloon though

While I have enjoyed the meals & views from the club lounge , have only visited the rooms / suites which are " ok " . The restaurants are good enough .
But I prefer to be in central Central .. MOHK rather than LMO with no " view " & a tad too close to office ( s ) & shops
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:43 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Not too sure about the bargains at MOHK or TUH though .
Not sure about MOHK but TUH has 3rd Night Free and 4th Night Free offers running till end of September and October respectively.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:21 am

Whilst it gets luke warm reviews on here, I'd love to try the RC this October. I love to sunbathe and swim so obviously the FS is an obvious choice, but I've already tried it.

My question is, is there any outside area to sunbathe all the way up at the RC near the pool or is it too high?

Thanks
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
Whilst it gets luke warm reviews on here, I'd love to try the RC this October. I love to sunbathe and swim so obviously the FS is an obvious choice, but I've already tried it.

My question is, is there any outside area to sunbathe all the way up at the RC near the pool or is it too high?

Thanks
Swimming is not a problem at Ritz Carlton, they do have a nice pool as you know. The spa relaxation room has a view and enjoys daylight, which technically would allow you to sunbathe, depending on time of the day. You won't find a huge sundeck however. There is an outside area that they sometimes use for weddings and functions, and adjacent to that is also an open air jacuzzi (2 ft deep and heated if I recall correctly). Last time I was there, there were four or five loungers set up as well. Sadly the wind conditions were so unpleasant that no one really bothered to use them, also no service. So you will have that option, but it isn't really anything to write home about.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
There are so many excellent hotels in Hong Kong, but I stayed at the RC this week and it was exceptional.

Hard product, soft product, the views just exceptional. I thought better than the FS and that too is exceptional.

Position is not a huge problem considering the taxis are cheap and plentiful and there is a train station directly next to the hotel.

Crowds in lobby weren't a problem either , they have staff everywhere to "kick" the crowds out pronto.

I have stayed all over the world, and this was the best hotel I have ever stayed in (yes for me beating the HK Penn, FS, MO, LOMO, etc).
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by misdirected baggage
Not my first visit to HK, but decided to burn a pair of UA upgrade certs on a last minute splurge. I have the option of (in order of price):

(a) Harbor view club room at the FS;
(b) Deluxe Victoria hrb view suite at Ritz (with club access);
(c) Harbor view at Penn (tower - breakfast incl).

Price is pretty close, but FS is the cheapest via an AMEX deal. My recollection is that the FS club is nice and rooms are ok but not special. I haven't stayed at the Penn since the update, but it's a good location (although no club). I haven't stayed at the Ritz - though it appears to have good connections to HKG via express train.

I hope to use the spa (old, aching bones) - hence these three choices. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Aloha!
I prefer Mandarin Oriental, and would choose a harbour view room or suite there over Four Seasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.