Trip Report: Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, Druk Air, Amankora Journey & The Siam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, Druk Air, Amankora Journey & The Siam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: QF CL
I'm so sorry to hear that your journey was cut short! Like others here, I loved my Amankora journey a couple of years ago. Was your guide Kinley? If so, he's the guide I had - we had some very interesting conversations about Bhutanese culture and life during all those long car trips. Your photographs have brought back very pleasant memories.

For anyone interested in Paro shopping, it's worth mentioning to your guide that you are looking for something a little better than the cheap souvenirs found in most shops. I was taken to a shop on the main street which had several rooms upstairs full of interesting antiques and artefacts for sale (legally - there are restrictions on taking certain cultural items out of the country). I bought a beautiful prayer book.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Thank you so much for the trip report, especially given the circumstances. I'm still planning to go for my honeymoon so will report back on how that goes. Out of curiosity, what were the parameters on the chase sapphire that allowed for recapturing the cost of the unused amankora nights?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chelsea2

Arrival at BKK is quick and our gate is very near baggage claim. We quickly claim our bags and meet our driver from The Siam. We booked our transfer in the BMW5 series, which was fine for our needs. They have options to book larger or more luxurious vehicles as well. It was Sunday afternoon when we arrived, so traffic was light. We were spoiled with the in-vehicle Wi-Fi on our transfer to the Mandarin Oriental, so were a bit disappointed that this was not available.
Yes, the MO 7 series is quite something. Love transfers with in-car wi-fi or LTE iPads that can become a hotspot.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Great trip report and sorry you and your husband were ill. We were in Bhutan when Amankora just opened (2007 I think) but didn't stay there. I was so very sick for 24 hours (couldn't even lift my arm) in Paro and also had to miss the climb to Taktsang. It was not a stomach thing and I'm wondering if it's altitude sickness.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:40 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat
Dr. Giggles - The Chase Sapphire Preferred offers Trip Interruption Insurance as one of the benefits. You must charge the cost of the trip on the card. In this case I had to provide them with the Doctor's note, invoices, flight stubs, verification from Aman that we left early,a copy of Amankora's cancellation policy and a summary of the circumstances. The turnaround was incredibly quick and professional. The amount of coverage provided may vary based on some factor I am not aware of - because it actually covered more than I anticipated.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:33 am

Sorry about this.

In cases like this it is important to see a doctor (or pharmacist if not available) immediately and not wait. The onset can be very quick but taking the right medication asap can resolve it fairly quickly too.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Originally Posted by chelsea2
Dr. Giggles - The Chase Sapphire Preferred offers Trip Interruption Insurance as one of the benefits. You must charge the cost of the trip on the card. In this case I had to provide them with the Doctor's note, invoices, flight stubs, verification from Aman that we left early,a copy of Amankora's cancellation policy and a summary of the circumstances.
very good to know. thank you again for the great trip report and for the helpful information. hope you are feeling better!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.