Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo Nile Plaza

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

1089 Corniche El Nile Cairo, EG 11519

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza (0 Photo)

To say Cairo is "sensory overload" is an understatement. The place is an absolute zoo. Packed full of people [to the tune of 20 million], the place makes New York City look like a provincial township. Not only does it have the population - it has the traffic, noise, pollution, and energy of one of the world's most intense cities. 

Cairo's charms aren't immediately apparent. As Paul Theroux wrote, Cairo is "a city of bad air and hideous traffic," with weather "you might expect on Mars." Day after day the weather was the same: polluted, dusty, and brown. Breathing can be quite difficult, and coming back to your hotel feeling a little dusty is commonplace. 

That said, this ancient city does have charms - delicious food, for instance, and one of the most genial populaces I've ever met. It's also a city of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, with easy access to the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx. It's a city you must spend some time in if you're ever going to visit Egypt.

Because Cairo is so intense, having a luxury hotel as your home away from home makes the city beyond bearable. In other words: Cairo is a bit easier to enjoy when you're resting your head at a Four Seasons. Luckily, the city has two Four Seasons properties. The Four Seasons Nile Plaza is the subject of this review. 

Room

MY BEDROOM [PREMIER NILE ROOM]:

There was a lot to like about the bedroom: it is spacious, comfortable, and airy. The balcony is a huge plus, even if you don't have much time to use it. For a non-suite category, the room is enormous. The bedding is typical of the Four Seasons brand [as comfortable as hotel beds get]. 

While the room was comfortable, there is nothing cutting edge about the space. To put it gently: it's hardly a good looking room. I'm perfectly fine with "classical" over "modern" - but this room was due for a makeover 3-5 years ago. Left in it's current state, the room will be dubbed that dreaded word: dated.

The view was incredible, though.

In summary, the major issues with the room are:

• Lack of a coffee/tea machine
  • The overall spartan nature of the space
  • Furnishings were blasé, erring on dated

Overall I was pleased, but I wasn't in awe the decor or vibe.

BATHROOM:

The bathroom was ideal, and the aesthetic of this layout and decor is pretty much timeless. Two things I loved: (1) the Egyptian themed rug; and (2) the separate shower/tub combo.

Dining

The hotel has a plethora of dining options: five restaurants and four lounges. I ate at two of those options: Zitouni and Bella. I wasn't blown away by either option. Full disclosure: my experience with both was limited.

Zitouni is where you'll end up if you're eating breakfast at the hotel [one of your Virtuoso amenities is daily full breakfast for two]. The spread is quite expansive, and the room in which breakfast is served has amazing views of the Nile. The ambiance is above-average, as is the staff. That said, there was nothing about the food that really "popped." It was good, but it wasn't great. Also, despite billing itself as an Egyptian restaurant, the ethnic fare was quite limited and made up a very small portion of the menu.

Bella is the on-site option for Italian food. I tried three items here: mushroom risotto, beef tenderloin, and tiramisu. All were serviceable, but none were exceptional. 

For what it's worth, there are two on-site dining options that get rave reviews. 

The first one, 8, is a Chinese restaurant located on the second floor of the hotel. The Dim Sum here is supposed to be very good, as is the seafood. I was dying to try the food here, but just didn't have the time. For a sample menu, click here.

Furthermore, the pool deck has a bar & grill dishing out fresh naan bread & tandoori chicken. Like 8, I didn't get to try it, but heard very good feedback [both online & from fellow travelers].

In my opinion, there is one non-negotiable when deciding where to stay in Cairo: the hotel must be situated on the Nile. If not on the Nile, your hotel needs [at minimum]: views of the Nile, or a location that is walking distance to the Nile. Luckily, both Four Seasons satisfy this requirement. 

The Four Seasons Nile Plaza is located in Garden City, one of Cairo's more elegant and affluent neighborhoods. Famous for its Art Deco villas, the property is walking distance to many of Cairo's most famous sites [for example: Tahrir Square & the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities]. For business, academia, and political travelers, the property is situated near many Western embassies, banks, and schools. 

In other words: the location is ideal. 

Overall

I really enjoyed my stay at the Four Seasons Nile Plaza. It wasn't the most cutting edge establishment, but it almost doesn't have to be. The product is simply solid, and the service takes it to another level. The location, spa, and service were all first class. As for the small issues I had [room decor & furniture], I suspect those things will be updated during a soft renovation in the near future. Here's to hoping business in Cairo picks up, warranting that future refurbishment. All in all, I'd return here in a heartbeat. 

Service

The service here was nothing short of exceptional. Staff was friendly, accommodating, and eager to please. I had good experiences with every staff-member I interacted with - from the bellman & waiters all the way up to the concierge and spa manager. 

Read more (and see pictures) at: http://www.isserbtravels.com/blog/2014/12/28/four-seasons-hotel-cairo-at-nile-plaza

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza

Would you like to write a review on the Four Seasons Hotel Cairo Nile Plaza?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:35 pm

Great review. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.