Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: Four Seasons Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Trip Report: Four Seasons Lisbon

Got back within the last week after a very lovely stay at the Four Seasons (Ritz) Lisbon. Just thought I'd share my thoughts.

Location: While not as centrally located as the Bairro Alto, I certainly did not mind the location as I enjoy the walk. It is at the top of that hill, which can be tedious after a long day, but is worth it given the views from the top. On top of this, Taxis are inexpensive so it isn't unreasonable to get anywhere for around 10 euros.

Arrival: Check-In was smooth and efficient. Front desk staff were very courteous, and was pleased the find out that on top of the double upgrade that was secured by my agent, luxury, from a Deluxe Room to a Central One bedroom suite before arrival, that they were further upgrading me to a Grand One Bedroom on the 7th floor facing the park. I didn't realize this until I got to the room because to be honest, I just assumed she was telling me about the double upgrade. The fact I booked this on the buy two get the third night free promotion made it even more spectacular. I only had a smaller travel duffel, so I found my own way to my room. Shortly after arriving, a small bottle of port and three of the traditional egg pastries arrived to my room, and quite frankly, to me, almost as good as the ones in Belem.

The room: Entering the suite, I was very impressed with the bathroom to the right (the classic dark green marble), as the towel warmer was beautiful and a nice touch. Standard L'Occitaine ammenities. The bedroom was very grand and beautiful, with spectacular views form the balcony. As I moved into the living room and foyer, I was absolutely blown away. Not only because I was expecting the look of the Central suite, but just by the feel and grandeur of it. While the pictures on the FS website certainly due it justice (and are far better than the pics I took), there was an airiness and special feeling that really made it a pleasant place to be. The way the sunlight came through the windows and lit up the blue paint and the marble finishings on the antique furniture made it a nice place to sit and relax. At a nightly standalone rate of 1700 Euro, it certainly wouldn't be inexpensive to book and given that those small details about the age of the finishings (like small gaps at the baseboards in some corners) are present, should you want to entertain guests you could do worse. Again, it had a balcony as well. The only thing wrong was that the literature of room service menu, spa menu, etc was missing, but two copies of the FS magazine were not. The best pictures are to be found on the website, here: http://www.fourseasons.com/lisbon/ac...bedroom_suite/

Service: General service of the hotel was at a very high standard. Anything I asked for to the room was delivered promptly and the staff were also very pleasant. Housekeeping was especially good in the way they organized and placed my things after coming through. The concierge was helpful and the only small failing was when I asked to make a lunch reservation for Belcanto the next day at lunch (which is absolutely amazing and would highly recommend) and she immediately responded with "I know it's full, but we'll try anyway" (which she said twice) with a tone of such sadness and disappointment in her voice. I understand that it's any good concierge's job to manage expectations, but when we both know that she has to call anyway, it would be nice if she didn't come off as it was a dire attempt and that I'm basically wasting my and her time. Please don't use the word "know" unless it's a certainty. She did secure me a table, which I greatly appreciated.

Dining:For me personally, the Ritz Bar really helped make this place special. The suits with blue ties that the waiters wore were elegant and sophisticated, and were a stand out for me. The service provided there was also first rate, akin to Michelin Starred restaurants I've been to in the way they spoke and carried themselves. To me, the atmosphere feels formal without being pretentious. The bar makes an excellent cocktail, and the freshness and taste of the sushi that can be had is also first rate.

As for Varanda, the outdoor seating area is lovely, as well as the interior decor. I only ever took the breakfast buffet here, but it would be a nice place for lunch or dinner I imagine as well. The breakfast was very good, although I believe based on everything I had read that my expectations were perhaps a bit too lofty. The service was also very good, but my only quibble would be that two days in a row, I was asked my room number twice by two different people each day. So other than better communication between the staff in that regard, it was a lovely place.

Spa/Pool: This is where the pictures on the FS website do not do it justice. Regretfully, I did not take pictures of the Spa and pool area, but to appreciate the design and scale of the place it really does need to be seen in person, I think. The pool and artwork in the pool area were tasteful, and really helped to add to the atmosphere. I also loved how there is the living room area at the head of the pool to just sit and have some tea or relax. Also, unless it's all in my head (which is a distinct possibility) the loungers by the pool were not only large and comfortable, but also heated. If that is the case, it's the details like that throughout the hotel that made it one of my favourite hotel experiences.

I had the 90 minute Holistic Body treatment that included a scrub, facial, and massage. I would highly recommend this, and at a price of 140 Euro (after the 75 Euro credit I received with Partner Benefits and not including tip) it was nice to have such a comprehensive treatment. The woman that performed the treatment was not only skilled, but truly nice and warm, and talkative in a friendly way that seemed truly genuine. It's hard to describe, but she's one of the few FS employees I've ever interacted with that truly lives up to what Mr. Sharp originally (and still does) want in a FS employee, and why we love the chain so much. While apples and oranges, the treatment I received at the Lisbon property was better than that I received in Florence, I should note.In some ways, I also preferred the hard product as well.

Workout Facilities: The view from the top of the hotel truly has to be one of the best in Lisbon, and one of the best views from a gym in a city hotel. The workout area was large, and the fridge with a selection of beverages was quite nice. The attendants were friendly and provided good service, always asking once if you needed anything while on a machine when they made a round. Upon departing and walking down the halls to the elevator, the cold towels and selection of snacks and beverages was elegant, with a good selection.

Departure: This was really the only part of my entire stay that kind of fell short of expectations. While the woman at the desk was very friendly and asked me about the details of my stay, problems arose when I began to review my charges. I had noticed that they charged me for the room service breakfast I had the morning after my first night (a lobster eggs Benedict that was very good). Her first reason was that breakfast was not included on my first day. When I asked "Breakfast isn't included each morning?", she said, it is, but not the day of arrival. I rebutted that it would have been impossible for me to have room service breakfast, or at least what I had ordered, on the first day when I checked in at 1 o'clock. This kind of flustered her, so she then told me the reason was because it wasn't one of the qualifying items on the menu. I explained to her that I had to call down to confirm that room service was even an option, and that when it was confirmed that it was, was given no restrictions on what I could and could not order. I suppose I should have asked for a broken down list of what was a possibility, but given that at every other hotel I have been to has never given me a problem with ordering anything off the menu, as long as its value is less than or equal to the included breakfast. In this case, my room service was identical to the value of the breakfast in Varanda. While argumentative is too strong of a word to describe her beaviour, I was getting frustrated that I had to call down to see if room service was even an option, but was now being told it was my responsibility to know what I could and could not order from it. I again rebutted that I was never made aware of any restrictions in ordering. She proceeded to turn to her colleague who quickly said something and she then said because I didn't know they were going to take it off my bill. I appreciated this, and she proceeded to ask if everything else was okay. She was very nice, don't get me wrong, it just didn't say luxury to me.

In summary, I very much enjoyed my stay at the hotel. While no Spring chicken, I thought the decor and quality of everything was very high. The service, barring a few small things, was very good. While objectively it isn't up there with the likes of an Aman or a FS like Firenze, there was just something intangible and endearing that makes me hopeful to return one day. The amazing suite I had didn't hurt either
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:37 am
Suspended

Good review, thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Thanks for sharing.

I stayed here once in 2007 and quite enjoyed my stay.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:43 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks for your review. Great upgrade!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Good review. I was there a couple weeks ago myself, but only as a bar customer. The service was excellent and they have, as one would expect, some excellent Port and Madeira selections. I stayed next door at the new Intercontinental which is nearly as good as the FS for a fraction of the cost. But the service at the FS is clearly a step above.

A tip for anyone staying here. If you walk straight past the Intercontinental up a block or two, you will find the best wine and spirits shop in town. Amazing stuff!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Good review. I was there a couple weeks ago myself, but only as a bar customer. The service was excellent and they have, as one would expect, some excellent Port and Madeira selections. I stayed next door at the new Intercontinental which is nearly as good as the FS for a fraction of the cost. But the service at the FS is clearly a step above.

A tip for anyone staying here. If you walk straight past the Intercontinental up a block or two, you will find the best wine and spirits shop in town. Amazing stuff!
When I first read this I thought you were referring to (quite) a few years back when the Four Seasons was the IC.

This hotel has always had very good service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.