Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unique luxury destinations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:44 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
We're booked for Greystoke this December, along with Sabinyo Silverback Lodge in Rwanda (Gorilla trekking). Everything I've read and heard about Greystoke have been filled with nothing but glowing praises. Can't wait!

Originally Posted by Thalassa
Greystoke Mahale in the Mahale Mountains national park. Possibly the best chimp viewing in the world in a wholly unique setting.

Chada Katavi, tented luxury camp in one of the most remote and wildest national parks in Tanzania.

Cheers,
T.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We're booked for Greystoke this December, along with Sabinyo Silverback Lodge in Rwanda (Gorilla trekking). Everything I've read and heard about Greystoke have been filled with nothing but glowing praises. Can't wait!
You'll love Greystoke. It is one of the most special places I've ever visited.

Here's a little taster: https://www.flickr.com/photos/monoju...7594326234886/

The pictures, alas, do not make the place justice.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

You'll love Greystoke. It is one of the most special places I've ever visited.

Here's a little taster: https://www.flickr.com/photos/monoju...7594326234886/.
Wonderful. I don't dare show my husband those pictures or he'd want to be on a plane tomorrow. Someday.

Thank you for sharing.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
King's Pool Camp in Botswana.
Amanpulo (because it really is amazing time after time).
Amanbagh
Amanwana
Awasi Atacama
Earth Lodge South Africa (not often mentioned here, stylistically different for safari, but really wonderful)

Great topic though. Keep them coming!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:52 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Carlos Araujo
Fellow travelers,

Which destinations do you consider to be unique, once in a life time luxury experiences?

I'm looking for places similar to desert resorts (Qasr al Sarab, UAE), mid-ocean overwater bungallows (Four Seasons, Bora Bora) and jungle resorts (Sabi Sands, South Africa).

Any good ideas?

Thank you!
I think it depends on what someone wants to do (assuming one doesn't simply want to "veg out"). Deep sea fishing in the best fishing waters - diving in the best diving waters - seeing/taking pictures of wildlife on a safari or spectacular scenery in various places - playing great/iconic/gorgeous golf courses - finding the best/most beautiful places to ski - spending time at the ultimate "tennis camp" - seeing the most beautiful flowers/gardens - viewing great art/architecture and eating fabulous food (my favorites - OTOH - the area around the Geirangerfjord is the single most spectacular place I have ever seen).

In all honesty - after all these years - all these trips - I don't so much remember the places I've stayed as the things I've seen/done - especially eaten - when I was there. With a few minor exceptions. Robyn

P.S. Our next trip is to see the Magritte exhibit in Houston (he's my husband's favorite artist - and this is the Magritte show of our lifetime - wouldn't miss it for the world - next stop for the exhibit if anyone is interested is Chicago).

Last edited by robyng; Apr 21, 2014 at 2:58 pm
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by robyng
I think it depends on what someone wants to do (assuming one doesn't simply want to "veg out"). Deep sea fishing in the best fishing waters - diving in the best diving waters - seeing/taking pictures of wildlife on a safari or spectacular scenery in various places - playing great/iconic/gorgeous golf courses - finding the best/most beautiful places to ski - spending time at the ultimate "tennis camp" - seeing the most beautiful flowers/gardens - viewing great art/architecture and eating fabulous food (my favorites - OTOH - the area around the Geirangerfjord is the single most spectacular place I have ever seen).

In all honesty - after all these years - all these trips - I don't so much remember the places I've stayed as the things I've seen/done - especially eaten - when I was there. With a few minor exceptions. Robyn

P.S. Our next trip is to see the Magritte exhibit in Houston (he's my husband's favorite artist - and this is the Magritte show of our lifetime - wouldn't miss it for the world - next stop for the exhibit if anyone is interested is Chicago).
^^^
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:58 pm
In memoriam

^^^
Thanks for the thumbs up .

Since you're from Finland - I'll tell you that one hotel experience I will remember for a long time was our recent stay at the Grand Hotel in Stockholm (different country but in your part of the world). Because - for reasons totally unknown to me - we were upgraded to the Nobel Suite - the place where people who win Nobel prizes are invited to stay. I'm sure the amenities in that suite - which was in the old part of the hotel - were less luxurious than you'd find in the new part of the hotel (although the sauna and heated floors - relatively unknown things in my part of the world - were fun - even if we never did really figure out how to use either properly ). But the history of the place - and all the memorabilia scattered around and on display - I felt like I was living with history.

Another place that evoked that sense of time and place to me was Inverlochy Castle. Perhaps because the night we stayed and dined there - most of the male dinner guests were wearing kilts <LOL>.

Another was a definite non-luxury property - the Compleat Angler in Bimini (which has since burned down). Even someone like me felt like Ernest Hemingway when staying there.

I guess if I wanted all the comforts of home when I traveled (my house is a very comfy place - tailored 100% to me and my husband) - and something totally familiar - I'd stay home. Robyn
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
There are so many once in a lifetime places! All of the Singita lodges in Africa. Especially love the Singita Tanzania experience where one can stay in the gorgeous main lodge, in the plains, and at Faru faru during one stay. There is now a more remote tented camp on the Mara river but have not been to that one yet. Also love singita Boulders and Lebomba in South Africa.

Agree with all Amans but had a particularly magical stay at Amanjiwa. They put on a private dinner for my husband and me at the Presidential villa with a 30 piece local musician ensemble, complete with singing and dancing.
Amankora in Bhutan was also above and beyond our expectations. The entire experience of visiting the 5 lodges was magical and unforgettable.

North Island in the Seychelles. Burma in general -( although not luxury).
Many more bit these stand out in my mind right now!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Globalist
My own (personal) list of memorable unique luxury hotels I've stayed at:

Southern Ocean Lodge (WOW! wildlife, scenery)
Amanpulo (high mark of Amans)
Uma Punkaha (I liked it much better than Uma Paro)
Tierra Atacama (probably Awasi Atacama is better, I happened to stay at Tierra)
Tierra Patagonia
One & Only Maldives
Post Ranch Inn
Estancia Vik - gorgeous! & the food was amongst the best I've ever had, & I don't say that lightly.

Not true "luxury" but extremely interesting:
Silky Oaks Lodge (treehouses in the Daintree rainforest)
HangaRoa Eco Lodge, Easter Island (I wish I'd stayed longer here)

Beautiful setting but utterly lacking in service / good food:
Jade Mountain

Overrated, but still unique:
Tahiti, Fiji

I stayed at Amanbagh but thought it was a little cold in architecture and setting. To each their own though.

Last edited by tmft; Apr 24, 2014 at 11:04 pm
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:51 am

Once in a lifetime desert experience

For a real desert experience, you should visit the Desert Islands Resort & Spa in the UAE. It's set in a true Arabic style, and if you enjoyed the Qasr Al Sarab you will definitely love this. It's a great place to observe desert wildlife.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by pushpitha
For a real desert experience, you should visit the Desert Islands Resort & Spa in the UAE. It's set in a true Arabic style, and if you enjoyed the Qasr Al Sarab you will definitely love this. It's a great place to observe desert wildlife.
You cannot compare Anatara Desert Islands Resort with Anantara Qasr al Sarab, which is in a totally different league. Desert Islands feels as though it has been thrown together and the island itself is a Sheik's folly, with imported wildlife such as a bunch of very unhappy looking giraffes. They have tried to green the island, using moss, but nothing has worked here. I found it quite disturbing. Equally, the food was not great and the accommodation, even the top suites, not a patch on Qasr al Sarab, which is stunning in every way.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:22 am
Suspended

Wilderness Safari Lodges in the Okavango Delta

Luxury Collection Haciendas in Campeche & Yucatan

Belmond Hotels in Peru

One & Only Hotels Maldives

Oberoi Hotels in Rajasthan

Amanresorts in Bali
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not just Desert Islands Resort anymore >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
new anantara on large island off abu dhabi >
al yamm - 30 villa, min age 12 years
(al sahel - not beachfront, 30 villa, min age 12 years
(older desert islands is 64 rooms, no min age
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
not just Desert Islands Resort anymore >
I know, but it's still a terrible island!! It should be all sand, but they have tinkered with it, including the beaches - and no, it doesn't work.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL MM, AS Gold, Marriott Plat, SPG, ICH
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Wilderness Safari Lodges in the Okavango Delta
^^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.